PDA

View Full Version : Charley is coming now (was Bonnie is onshore)

cphilip
08-12-2004, 10:01 AM
Came in around and to the east of Appilachicola about 11 AM est. Eye is mostly onshore now. Winds around 50 knots and extending up to 70 miles SE of center. Moving NE at 28 MPH

Watch out for Charlie....

A good site for watching is http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Tunaman
08-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Lay low Brotha! Let me know if you need anything...anything at all. ;)

cphilip
08-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Well at this point it appears she is heading through the middle of the State sometime late tonight. Farther east than this mornings projections so we should be on the "good side" of the storm up here. But however our terrain goes uphill and often we get upslope enhanced rain from something like this. We have had heavy rain here all morning already and it still continues. So we expect flooding if she managed to throw back enough moisture to increase and continue that. As long as she stays on track of right now that may be borderline. And if she weakens some it might stem the flow of that. But she is moving fast allowing less time to weaken before she gets here.

My main concern for Charlie is the track keeps coming further west lately. And its a much bigger storm. And its right behind Bonnie so no time to recover from any Flooding that might occur tonight.

Thordic
08-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Yeah they are right stacked on top of each other, the whole east coast is gonna be underwater for the next few days. Some spots in NJ got 6" of rain yesterday, so hopefully the storms don't drag too much water up here, doesn't take much to cause flooding in the Swamp State.

_tMAN
08-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Good Luck To The People On The Coast

cphilip
08-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Yeah they are right stacked on top of each other, the whole east coast is gonna be underwater for the next few days. Some spots in NJ got 6" of rain yesterday, so hopefully the storms don't drag too much water up here, doesn't take much to cause flooding in the Swamp State.

Yea I saw you guys got hammered yesterday. Looks like we in for a regular train for a few days though. Keep your panties dry! :D

trevorjk
08-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Holy CoW! 2 storms... wtf! like i previously stated in another thread i had NO Idea about these storms lol

shows how much tv plays a role in my life :cry:

BobTheCow
08-12-2004, 12:02 PM
lol I only really found out about 'em today, when I missed the local weather to see if I could mow lawns today. And I hadn't even heard about "Charlie" until this thread!! Yay east coast...

cphilip
08-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Charlie: Large number ordered evacuated from Tampa just now. Supposed to strike near that area by tomorrow. And be up here in SC coastal or midlands by Saturday morning. Following Bonnie a day behind

Should a named em Bonnie and Clyde!

Batten down the hatches. I gotta get in touch with my Brother in Law in Tampa and see if he wants to come up here. And the kid just got called in to the Sherrifs office to come in and work overtime on the Dispatch Desk. All hands on deck for next few days there.

Deep Sixx
08-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Take care... and take cover!

http://www.space.com/images/040812_hurricanes_two_02.jpg

cphilip
08-12-2004, 12:20 PM
as of 10:00 AM CDT

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT02/refresh/AL0204W+GIF/121453W.gif

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT03/refresh/AL0304W+GIF/121453W.gif

Next update is 4 PM CDT today

brianlojeck
08-12-2004, 04:26 PM
(brian looks out his window)

Yep, that's one of the reasons I moved to sunny So Cal. It's a little warm today, I might have to turn on my window fan.

The weather is so good, it actually scares my dog when it rains because it happens so rarely.

cphilip
08-12-2004, 04:57 PM
(brian looks out his window)

Yep, that's one of the reasons I moved to sunny So Cal. It's a little warm today, I might have to turn on my window fan.

The weather is so good, it actually scares my dog when it rains because it happens so rarely.

We shall laugh when you fall into the sea..... :D

Warm here too. Huricanes love warm!

Latest geos floater of "clyde" (Charley). Will he make catergory 3? Looks like he might...Tampa is on the target map.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT2/VIS/20.jpg

brianlojeck
08-12-2004, 06:53 PM
We shall laugh when you fall into the sea..... :D

Naw, man... Cali is the only part of the US that's going to stay UP after the big one hits. The entire country is going to fall Road-Runner-and-Wile-E-Coyote style into the ocean while us Cali residents wonder what that big splash was...

WickeDKlowN
08-12-2004, 07:07 PM
They cancelled school in all but like 2 county's here. Luckily, I live in one that got cancelled.

My yard's already got a couple inches of standing water in the low spots, and the ditches are about half full... And that's not from either of the storms, just normal rain.

cphilip
08-12-2004, 08:19 PM
They cancelled school in all but like 2 county's here. Luckily, I live in one that got cancelled.

My yard's already got a couple inches of standing water in the low spots, and the ditches are about half full... And that's not from either of the storms, just normal rain.

Where are you? If your around Tampa and your family needs a place to come I find you one. Gimme a shout out if you need me brother. Hunker down and stay safe.

SlipknotX556
08-12-2004, 08:24 PM
If Charley changes it direction during the night, I am going to be hit. As of its path right now, its not that far away from me, I wont get a major part of the storm, but I will get 50+ mph winds. People are already putting hurricane shutters up on in my neighbor hood. My county was shutting down all schools in the county, but its not offical yet, I guess I will know tommorow morning. I already helped my mom get all the lawn furniture off my deck, we took anything off the deck, that could become airborne.

SlipknotX556
08-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Sorry for the double post but....

You guys remember Andrew? Everyone thought it was going a certain route, but at the last minute, destroyed homestead, alot of my area of Florida. Kind of makes me scared, Charley I think is now a category 3 hurricane? If it changes is route, I am screwed, it takes 8 hours to put hurricane shutters up, I havent put any up, this thing is supposed to hit tommorow. :(

cphilip
08-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Its a Category 2 right now but it is predicted that it could reach a Category 3 by landfall in Florida. Right now the center of the current forcast is around Tampa/St Pete. But because of the angle its coming and the contour or the coast it could impact a lot of the west coast of Florida.

Andrew did not so much change course as it did speed up and intesify suddenly. It suprised people by doing that at the last few hours. Predictions are one thing. Mother Nature is another. Just prepare and get ready is the best thing. Monitor and be prepared with a plan of what to do and where to go. Get some bottled water, candles and canned food and think of safe placed to be. Like you did already remove anything that can go airborne and board up. If your below 12 feet or so of sea level get to higher ground. If need be evacuate to a shelter.

Latest track position is here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT03/refresh/AL0304W+GIF/122113W.gif

Use this link to keep up:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

SlipknotX556
08-12-2004, 09:20 PM
I have enough bottled water, food. Only thing I am worried about, is if I do have school tommorow and the winds pick up, my mom wont be able to get everything in by herself, my dad cant lift anything due to an arm injury, my little brothers will be at school to.

WickeDKlowN
08-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Where are you? If your around Tampa and your family needs a place to come I find you one. Gimme a shout out if you need me brother. Hunker down and stay safe.
We're over on the other coast in Daytona Beach, so we should be ok.

Thank's for the concern though.

SlipknotX556
08-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Im in Palm Beach County, one of the two counties in the state of Florida having school tommorow. :rolleyes:

cphilip
08-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Latest is Charlie is a Category 3 with sustained winds of 125 MPH and is expected at this point to go into the west Florida Coast around Port Charlotte in just a little while later on this afternoon. This is south of Tampa around FT Myers.

Warnings and watches all up and down both coasts all the way up into NC as its supposed to move quickly and still be a tropical Storm all the way into NC. So Tropical Storm force winds will affect Ga, SC and NC as well. Even the East coast of Florida.

Another Tropical Depression has formed off the Cape Verde Islands and is expected to strengthen as well.

cphilip
08-13-2004, 12:45 PM
However the official forcast track still shows around Tampa but will not be updated until 4pm edt but this new info is still within the cone of probablility and of course its rather unpredictable where it will go in. But current comments from forcasters think its going in to Port Charlotte just east of center line of this forcast track below.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT03/refresh/AL0304W+GIF/130908W.gif

cphilip
08-13-2004, 12:54 PM
at 1:31 PM was upgraded to Category 4 Hurricane and currently still thinking Charlotte Harbor area for landfall....

145 MPH sustained winds. with higher gusts. Quick spike in intensity.

cphilip
08-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Slightly differing info but copied from the NHS

HURRICANE CHARLEY SPECIAL DISCUSSION NUMBER 18
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
2 PM EDT FRI AUG 13 2004

RECENT AIRCRAFT RECONNAISSANCE REPORTS ALONG WITH RADAR AND
SATELLITE DATA SHOW THAT WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO 125 KT. THE TRACK
HAS ALSO SHIFTED A LITTLE TO THE RIGHT OF THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY
FORECAST WHICH SHIFTS THE GREATEST RISK TO THE AREA OF CHARLOTTE
HARBOR FLORIDA. THESE CHANGES REQUIRE THE ISSUANCE OF THIS SPECIAL
ADVISORY.

FORECASTER LAWRENCE

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 13/1800Z 26.0N 82.4W 125 KT
12HR VT 14/0000Z 27.5N 81.8W 100 KT...INLAND
24HR VT 14/1200Z 31.5N 80.0W 65 KT...OVER WATER
36HR VT 15/0000Z 36.0N 77.5W 50 KT...INLAND
48HR VT 15/1200Z 40.5N 74.5W 30 KT...EXTRATROPICAL
72HR VT 16/1200Z 46.5N 68.5W 30 KT...EXTRATROPICAL
96HR VT 17/1200Z...ABSORBED BY EXTRATROPICAL SYSTEM

BULLETIN
HURRICANE CHARLEY UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
115 PM EDT FRI AUG 13 2004

AT 115 PM EDT...1715Z...A U.S. AIR FORCE RESERVE UNIT RECONNAISSANCE
AIRCRAFT MEASURED 10000 FT FLIGHT LEVEL WINDS OF 162 MPH AT A
DISTANCE OF 8 MILES FROM THE CENTER OF THE HURRICANE. THIS GIVES
AN ESTIMATED SURFACE WIND OF 145 MPH...CATEGORY FOUR ON THE SAFFIR
SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. A SPECIAL ADVISORY WILL FOLLOW SHORTLY.

cphilip
08-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Latest track prediction

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT03/refresh/AL0304W+GIF/131823W.gif

cphilip
08-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Best I can tell at 3:20 the outer eyewall band was raking the edge of Pineland just outside the Charlotte Harbor.... looks like landfall within the next 30 minutes just north of there.... MY bet is Cape Haz is bullseye for the center of the eye...

SlipknotX556
08-13-2004, 02:36 PM
It will make landfall in Ft.Myers Florida, in an hour or so. 18ft waves, most of Myers has been evacuated, it will only get worse once it makes landfall. Nothing happened today while I was in school, it was cloudy but no rain, but just found out, because Charley is making landfall in Ft. Myers, I will have 60-80mph winds later this afternoon, I have taken most things off my deck, that cant become airbourne. I will give everyone updates as things happen, hope my neighbors took their items inside to, because I dont want their deck furnitire smashing into my house.

Flow_Tech
08-13-2004, 02:47 PM
whoo..NC is gunna get HAMMERED with rain..again..Phil..im your nextdoor state neighbor..so rest assured..whatever you get..ill feel some of it too :)

Cyberious
08-13-2004, 02:56 PM
I'm just south of where the eye is supposed to pass (near Orlando) which means I'll get the worst part of the storm (the NW side) . Have water and food and will post once it passes. Will try and take some pictures and bring them to Shatnerball. Hope to see you all soon. For all of you who are in the path like me take care and God Bless!

RRfireblade
08-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Hang in there Cyber......

I'm in line right after you,try and take some of the sting out of that bad boy for us. ;)

Good luck! Be safe.

WickeDKlowN
08-13-2004, 03:52 PM
I'm hoping it's gonna keep turning east and for the most part, miss us(Daytona), or follow the original path and go over us.

I just got done helping my mom pick up everything out by the pool so the wind dosn't throw it through our windows. And did some Duct Taping on the windows(I guess it's supposed to keep them from shattering, but seems more like a ploy to sell duct tape to me)..

SlipknotX556
08-13-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm hoping it's gonna keep turning east and for the most part, miss us(Daytona), or follow the original path and go over us.

I just got done helping my mom pick up everything out by the pool so the wind dosn't throw it through our windows. And did some Duct Taping on the windows(I guess it's supposed to keep them from shattering, but seems more like a ploy to sell duct tape to me)..

If it moves anymore east, we will get hit with the whole storm. I already brought in everything I could, only thing left was a few plants in pots, but about 5 mintues ago fast gust of wind made them airbourne and flew them across my enclosure. Now tommorow, I have to clean that all up.

WickeDKlowN
08-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Form what I seen on the news, it's right over top of me right now. They were talking about all of the power outages, but ironically, my power went out right in the middle. Now it keeps going on and off and it's driving me nuts :(

Cyberious
08-13-2004, 10:12 PM
The worst of it is gone and we are all OK. Me , my family, and X-Mag (Because Quality Can Handle Even A Hurricane) are doing well :-). We have no power but luckily I have a laptop and a T-Mobile Cellular wirelss aircard. Hope everyone else does as well. Take care. Have some short movies that I will try and post once we get back power.

Echo419
08-13-2004, 11:37 PM
**** **** **** **** leave me alone mods

I'm in charltote NC.... Cphil if u have aim can u get on? you seem to got this on lock down, u SC guys mite need to come up to the NC for help.. bring sum fire works to...

Flow_Tech
08-13-2004, 11:40 PM
har echo..you guys get any rain towards the west?we got HAMMERED in wake co...it was UNBELIEVEABLE..i couldnt even see out of my windows..and then being the stupid nublet that i am,i decided to run outside :D anyways..i tried to get some battertys and water today..and man,the stores are aMESS..

Echo419
08-13-2004, 11:46 PM
yah we got pwned. the street in front of my house flooded. we should be ok, u should be especially ok... im hoping it just goes with the gulf stream and goes north est. cuz if it goes a lil east there gunna hit ma'

Cphil gl man

cphilip
08-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Well as you know its now made landfall again in SC and when it did it was packing 85 mph sustained and gusts to 100 mph. It came in around McClelandville just North of Charleston and South of Myrtle Beach

My Family in Tampa got lucky. But the poor people in POrt Charlotte and Fort Myers area... well... its devastation down there.

Here are some pictures of it

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/charleyslideshow.html?from=weathercenter

Lets see some pictures of your area if you can do it safely.

I am sure there will be more pictures of some serious damage as they get further out onto some of the Barrier Islands to see what happened there. It will not be good on some of them.

So Charley heads into NC and then into Easter Virgina and still packs a wallop.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT03/refresh/AL0304W+GIF/141453W.gif

And onther Depression forms in same tracks as these down in the Caribbean.....

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT05/refresh/AL0504W5+GIF/141458W5.gif

The one off the Cape Verdes, Danielle, looks at this early stage to be an Atlantic storm. staying over the waters. Its a Tropical Storm now

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT04/refresh/AL0404W5+GIF/141453W5.gif

WickeDKlowN
08-15-2004, 02:54 PM
We still don't have power or water since we have a well. Driving down the road, there's power lines down everywhere and a pole pig(trasnsformer) laying on the ground in peices in one spot. The Phones were out from 8PM last night to just ablot 20mins ago. I don't think we ave school tomorrow sonce alot of the county still dosn't have power, but that havn't decidd yet as far as I know.

ASDadam
08-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Here in Eastern NC we got a pretty light hit. A huge tree limb fell on where my car would have been if i hadn't been at work and landed on the power line to my house causing sparks and surges for a while. Finally we totally lost power and me and a friend went about removing the limb from the line. But for the most part there wasn't any flooding in New Bern or the surrounding areas. Mostly just limbs down, no power lines or trees.

I guess we got lucky with this one as we only lost power for about 8 hours and all the surrounding cities got power back VERY quickly. Great effort by the local power company to have men ready and get things rolling quickly.

I feel bad for the rest of the towns who got hit hard down in FL and such.

WickeDKlowN
08-16-2004, 04:32 PM
We still don't have power, but we're supposed to have it by midnight Thursday... :(

cphilip
08-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Hang in there dude.

Good news is Earl has somewhat dissapated and looks good for Danielle to stay out to Sea.

How are you posting if you not got any power?

-Tab
08-16-2004, 07:47 PM
wow....some of those pics were unbelievable. never in my life have i been so glad to live in South Dakota.

hang in there guys......if that helps

behemoth
08-18-2004, 12:13 AM
WOW! thats all i have to say!

i didnt read all this thread because im on 28k modem on a 133Mhz compter :eek:

im in my grandmothers condo in florida! Bonita springs, right south of Ft. Meyers, worst part is were RIGHT on the gulf, the complex has a private beach :)

Anyways thrusday morning my parents decided to flee, we drove straight across florida on 75 and got to Ft. lauderdale (my first time on the atlantic) we stayed there for a few days, and it was WINDY and the waves were incredible! the gulf waves on this beach are NOTHING, just kinda lull in, but those atlantic waves, with the storm, there were people surfing! over here on the gulf side, you can barely use a boogie board on a good day!

Anywayys, we came back from lauderdale, and there was stuff EVERWHERE! trees, debris, a whole buncha roofs were on the front lawn as opposed to the top of the house... luckily NOTHING happended to my grandmas condo, worst part was, there was flooding on the first floor (were on lvl5) and the fence around the pool was laying flat...and the pool is full of sand, and blackish greenish sea water...and theres no grass or cememt...its ALL sand, so my dad is having fun in the parking lot with the rental car! DUNE BUGGY! (in a buick)

Ohwell, its 1am, and my brother is on the couch complaining about the keyboards noise as i type, so im gonna get going, and i'll check this thread soon as i get back in cleveland, but wow, this was an interesting experiance, so much destruction, and panic! my mother is extremely paranoid as it is, so this made things bad

ohwell, enough of my story, bottom line is, i was here, i witnessed the beginning, and the end, we were on the other side of the state during the actuall hurricane hitting land

Als i gotta say is "BUAHAHHAH CHARLEY! YOU SUCK!"

behemoth
08-18-2004, 12:18 AM
scrolled up a little, klown, i feel bad dude

Phil, punta gorda and sanibel island got hit bad (And those pics almost gave this dino computer a heart attack)

RRfireblade
08-18-2004, 08:53 AM
We got power back on yesterday. My parents home won't till friday or saturday,thier saying now.Had a couple trees go through our pool enclosure,lost part of the roof on one side,half a dozen trees, and a window. All in all we did pretty good for our area. (heavily tree'd)

Could have,and has been in the past.....worse, so........

My family in Port Charlott for instance......looks like we've lost most of 2 houses there so far....... :(

WickeDKlowN
08-18-2004, 05:10 PM
I keep charging my laptop up with my neighbors generator. We till don't have power, going to be thursday or friday before we get our power back(I live in the sticks, so we're the one of the last to get power back).

behemoth
08-19-2004, 12:53 AM
klown i feel bad

but be glad you werent on sanibel island, they just got to go onto the island today! thers no powr, but its deemed somewhat safe...