PDA

View Full Version : Home stereo receiver advice?

PyRo
08-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Anyone have any advice on receivers? I'm looking for a 2 channel since there is no way I can get a surround system properly set up given the placement of the tv and such. I found this after looking around a little bit but is it overkill, or is there somthing better for the money? (I can get it for half of the price it is listed for on the site).

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&cat=REC&prod=HK%203480&sType=C

punkncat
08-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Harmon Kardon makes good equipment. Not a lot of frills you won't use , just good amps with lots of overhead. I have owned one and it was really nice. Got rid of it for an ADS preamp and Carver M 4 cube.....

Now I have a Yamaha that has worked pretty well since around 94. The surround processor went out in it about a year ago , and I am about to have a top of the line Sony. Not that I love Sony , I just got too good a deal to pass up for this model.

Jet-Xino
08-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Brand wise I'm going to have to agree and go with either Harmon Kardon or Denon. Both make great stuff. I have a H&K receiver in my home theatre and I absolutly love it. You won't be dissapointed if you go with either of those companies. They both make high quality stuff.

davidb
08-12-2004, 07:41 PM
I really have to go right now but I just gotta say..

You can't go wrong with Onkyo. :hail:

Steelrat
08-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Harmon Kardon has gone to poo. Onkyo and Denon are good "mid fi." If you want to sample to lower reaches of the high end, NAD and Rotel are good.

LudavicoSoldier
08-12-2004, 08:40 PM
I would suggest a NAD 2 channel amp w/preamp, or a preamp/amp combo. Take a look on ebay, and make sure you get one with a remote. You would probably be best off getting a pair of decent bookshelf or "monitor" speakers, and adding a matching sub as money allows. I personally own a NAD stereo component system with Canton Ergo 702DC speakers (tower mind you) that I have been extremely happy with. Depending on budget, I would suggest a pair of Polk RT series bookshelf units, or perhaps Klipsch units. It all depends on your budget, and also if you also want to use this system for music listening.