PDA

View Full Version : San Fran Gay marriages voided!

1stdeadeye
08-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Well looks like Mayor Newsome lost. (http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/08/12/samesex.marriage/index.html)

I guess a Mayor can't invent laws to suit his ideas. :rolleyes:

Warewolf50
08-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Sucks for them, thats kinda crappy i mean voiding the marriges, why not jsut cut them off and say no more. But wutever, this is one issue i couldnt care less on. I have no strong feelings either way.

_tMAN
08-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Yeah I think it was a bad idea to just void them. I mean if they did get married I think they should be allowed to stay married

Lohman446
08-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Regardless of how you feel about the issue

The steps taken to allow the marriages were not within the legal duties of the man. The proper legal channels were not taken. They cannot be seen as legal. Just because your a mayor does not make you able to make anything you want legal.

1stdeadeye
08-12-2004, 07:29 PM
The point is that they were not allowed to in the first place. :rolleyes:

davidb
08-12-2004, 07:31 PM
If they allowed them to stay "married", then the next time some rogue politician decided the laws didn't apply to him he would know that he could make it stick.

Butterfingers
08-12-2004, 08:35 PM
I dont have a stand on the gay mairrage issue.

However I have a problem with a rogue politician overstepping the bounds of the law.

If he would have advocated gay mairrage by changing the law legally so be it.

However he did not go through this legal process and was in fact breaking the law when he married same sex couples.

Politicians have to follow the rules too.

That is the issue.

1stdeadeye
08-12-2004, 08:41 PM

However I have a problem with a rogue politician overstepping the bounds of the law.

However he did not go through this legal process and was in fact breaking the law when he married same sex couples.

That is the issue.

Amen to that brother! :headbang:

cphilip
08-12-2004, 09:15 PM

If he would have advocated gay marrage by changing the law legally so be it.

That is the issue.

I agree with that. Marrage is a legal issue not a moral one. It may be a moral issue to you but it is steeped in old property rights and inheritance laws based on very old Judaic laws. It is still to this day something that is taken care of by legal proceedings. You go to the court house for a license. You can get married by a judge or notary. Even if you get married by Clergy you STILL have to file the license. Its much missunderstood that its a moral/religous issue. In fact personaly it may be. But in reality it is a legal issue that MUST be addressed by laws. I have no real problem with allowing rights to same sex couples. But no matter what I think or you think it must be addressed by passing proper laws to do so. No matter if you call it marrage or not. No one small court can do that. Only Congress can pass laws. And the judicial system can then uphold or deny their constituionality and fairness. The courts just found that those laws do not yet exist to allow it. So they had no choice but to find the marrages conducted to be null and void. They do not exist according to "the laws" be cause there is none that allows them. We cannot have every little town judge or whatever writing laws. Its too important that position and we elect representitives to do that. If you do not like the laws or want a law passed you must seek to introduce it and pass it. Its our foundation of law.

Army
08-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Just to help clarify the issue;

We Californians voted overwhelmingly YES on a referendum that stated that a marriage is between a man and a woman only. Later on, we voted overwhelmingly (something close to 3 to 1) on a state LAW that only allows marriage between a man and a woman.

The Mayor could never overstep a state law within his city anyway, which makes ALL gay marriages in Calli illegal.

My personal feelings about the abomination of homosexuality notwithstanding :cool:

fire1811
08-13-2004, 12:06 PM
The point is that they were not allowed to in the first place. :rolleyes:

exactly.

RogueFactoryKid
08-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Gay People are gettin married! 2 guys hangin out at a bar B-Q, I like you man, I like you too dawg, lets get married....But mr. President what about th...That *Stuff* Is gross.

Saw it on tv thought it was funny and it related to the subject so there you go

Warewolf50
08-13-2004, 04:35 PM

That is the issue.

Extremely good point, and i didnt really catch on that he had really done it outside the legal process illegally. So i guees i am now taking your standpoint on the issue.