PDA

View Full Version : body exchange?

DK1
10-22-2001, 12:01 PM
ok, I've a mild dilemma. I purchased a chrome pf body used a while back, and when it arrived it had a ding at the front. It was packaged well, and the box it was shipped in didn't have creases to suggest that it was damaged in shipping. Reguardless of this, the person I purchased it off of insists that it was fine when it left their possession. To make a long story short, instead of getting into a possibly nonresolvable argument, I decided to just deal with it instead of trying to get the guy to give me back my money. SO, here's where the trouble gets going...

I have two barrels, one works with the gun fine... it's aluminum, has been used quite a bit, and the grooves have been worn down to round edges. The other barrel, brand new and stainless steel, won't fit in the gun when fully assembled. It slides right into the body alone, but not with rail, frame, etc. attached. Someone made a suggestion that the barrel may be poorly machined, but I have no way to test it, as we are in a mag poor area and the barrel was a close out (ie, no returns). I'm trying to sell this gun (I've only played twice in the past 13months), but I can't let myself sell it without being sure that the body isn't causing the problem with the barrel. Part of me thinks that it could just be the new barrel lock not working with the new grooves in the barrel. However I've backed the barrel lock set screw out as far as I can to lighten up the pressure, but it didn't help. Is there any chance AGD would take it as a trade in on a new body (sorta like valve exchange)? It works fine, I just don't have the tools and time to try removing the dent myself. Any suggestions would be entirely helpful...

thanks

DK1

MajorDamage
10-22-2001, 12:50 PM
My J&J ceramic is hard to get in. What I'd suggest is getting some just generic o-rings that are thinner than the regular nubbin o-rings. Thats what I did on my J&J, and it now works. Its kinda hard to get in and out though, but not to bad. Try that, and see if it works. Or just take the o-rings off the barrel and try it and if it goes in, get some thinner o-rings and put them on the barrel, and you will know it was just the o-rings. I don't think they trade bodies though, sorry!

ENDO!

KamikazePenguin
10-22-2001, 01:47 PM
look at the groove in the actual barrel where the pin rides when you put the barrel on. On some barrels there is a little block that needs to be punched/drilled out on one of the slots.

Xzion
10-22-2001, 01:58 PM
On the end of the twistlock assembly, the part that goes into the gripframe, theres a small hex nut that holds the spring in the assembly, screw that hex hut ot a little bit, this happend with one of my barrels once, the twistlock groove on the barel pushes the spring completely compressed and doesnt allow the raised notch as you twist the barrel to clear past the nubbin, by moving the nut back a tad bit it give more room for the spring to compress and the nubbin to move back further, allowing the notch to slip past the nubbin. Hope this helps.

DK1
10-22-2001, 02:22 PM
ok guys, thanks a lot, now some more info to clear some things up...

I've been trying the barrel sans-orings...
I've already attempted backing out the barrel lock set screw...
I've looked the groove in the barrel over before, it looks fine, but I haven't tried taking any machinery to it yet...

It feels more like a friction problem, like maybe the barrel lock is simply too long. Occasionally, with some elbow grease I can get the barrel in, however getting it back out without taking down the whole gun is impossible, partly because it's so stuck, and partly because I can't get a very good grip on the polished SS.

any further comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks again...

DK1

Army
10-22-2001, 05:07 PM
Check to see if the front takedown screw is not too far in. If it is , it can stop a barrel from twisting in:cool:

DK1
10-22-2001, 05:14 PM
yup, that alas was also one of the first things I checked... I even ground off a little of the end to ensure the screw wasn't entering into the chamber... no dice....

thanks, if there's anything else, let me know...

DK1

Army
10-22-2001, 08:20 PM
Compare it to the working one. You may have a centerfeed barrel which lines up different than a classic or PF barrel.:cool:

After this, I have no idea!