PDA

View Full Version : upkeep for a cocker...

nirvana1234
08-12-2004, 09:50 PM
im pretty confused. i want a cocker but i also want a mag, but the cocker looks soooo complicated, is it???

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-12-2004, 09:59 PM
ers do take some work to maintain but are decent guns. However being the owner of a few ers including a raced FF lotus as well as many mags incuding an emag i would have to say you would be better off with a custom mag. Mags are much easier to maintain and more reliable. I recomnd www.fragtek.com for custom mags Mine is the one on the main page and i love it, he has the fragmag out now and i believe it only cost $440. Thats a killer deal on a great gun.

Automaggin2
08-12-2004, 09:59 PM
I have a cocker. I dont think its complicated, then again, i love to tinker with my guns.

I think cockers are good learning expierences. They teach you alot.

I have had my cocker for 2 years now, not a single problem (except my bolt flying out of my gun)

Chronobreak
08-12-2004, 10:28 PM
cant go wrong with a ncie ule custom ...mags are def simpler and easier to maintain

Automaggin2
08-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Well, this is the worng forum to ask. Even tho there are alot of unbiased people in here, its still the wrong forum. You ask in the WGP forum what you should get, people will say a cocker, and vise versa

FallNAngel
08-12-2004, 10:57 PM
No, cockers are not complicated.

Chronobreak
08-12-2004, 10:59 PM
cockers arent complicated per say...but comparing to a mag the mag is def simpler anyone with basic knoledge can take care of a cocker but some people dont have a first clue as to whats going on if somethings not working right...needles to say thers those people with anytype of marker

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Yeah, 'cockers arent really complicated its just there not as easy to maintain and stuff as mags. Ive owned really high end ers and low end ones as well and id still take my mag over them.

WenULiVeUdiE
08-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Arent complicated at all. You have a switch( 3-way) that feeds air to a ram to recock it. Then you have a hammer hitting the valve like any other blowback spyder.

When things go wrong, it usually is an easy fix. Most of the time it is just something a little loose due to vibration or the like. Then again I'm fed up with having to fix mine so I'm getting a mag.

Spaceman613
08-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Cockers arent that difficult for anyone with a basic mechanical mind... And mags ARNT as easy as they once were with ULT and LX... They arnt difficult either, but not nearly as "moron proof" as they once were.

And cockers dont need much upkeep, my main cocker gets re-timed onc a year, and always performs when i need it to

FallNAngel
08-12-2004, 11:55 PM
I agree... what's so difficult to maintain about a cocker? They rarely go out of time and they take a few drops of oil before you play. What's so hard?

WenULiVeUdiE
08-12-2004, 11:59 PM
The thing that gets most people down is when there is a problem with a cocker. It's the first problem they've had with it, and they know nothing about it. They then start turning everything and then they create even more of a mess. If you mess with it, it will mess with you. ( Of course I didnt mess with my cocker and it still messes with me, grrr) Once they are set, they rock. The only thing you may have to do besides oil it before you play is adjust the back block. Sometimes the pump arm backs into the ram rod and messes with the spacing.

FallNAngel
08-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Sometimes the pump arm backs into the ram rod and messes with the spacing.

Which is why you're supposed to use a bit of blue locktite there ;)

WenULiVeUdiE
08-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Yea, I figured that out the hard way, haha.

Cockers take a bit to master. Once you master them, they're a peice of cake.

Automaggin2
08-13-2004, 12:57 AM
There are some great articles online on how to time a cocker. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to time a cocker in 5 minutes

Wc Keep
08-13-2004, 12:37 PM
i had a cocker and loved it. im getting another cocker this weekend when i trade my emag lower half for it, and im going to do the same thing i did last time. go to impact paintball in edison nj and tell my boy jim "yo do me a sick timing and trigger job on this piece." and it will come out ripping and not be touched ever again by anyone but jim.

oh and i guess ill oil every so often but that requires me to purchase oil............

FSU_Paintball
08-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Read this:
Click me (http://www.tallahasseepaintball.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=218)

JimInVA
08-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Now THAT is an awesome tutorial... sure wish I'd found something so nicely laid out when I did my first two cockers!

cockermongol
08-13-2004, 05:05 PM
I would say, objectively, a mag is more simple than an autococker. That being said, the only reason a mag is simpler is because there's really nothing to tune on one (unless you have a LVL10 or ULT). This is not saying a cocker is DIFFICULT, but you do have to know at least a little about timing to keep it up and running.

I might get flamed for this, but I've been using cockers for years and I've NEVER had nearly as much trouble timing a cocker as I did when I tried to help my friend tune his LVL10. He ended up selling the gun because the upkeep was too much because he had to constantly tune it if he ever shot it - and it never seemed to get just right. Just something to consider.

slade
08-13-2004, 07:55 PM
I would say, objectively, a mag is more simple than an autococker. That being said, the only reason a mag is simpler is because there's really nothing to tune on one (unless you have a LVL10 or ULT). This is not saying a cocker is DIFFICULT, but you do have to know at least a little about timing to keep it up and running.

I might get flamed for this, but I've been using cockers for years and I've NEVER had nearly as much trouble timing a cocker as I did when I tried to help my friend tune his LVL10. He ended up selling the gun because the upkeep was too much because he had to constantly tune it if he ever shot it - and it never seemed to get just right. Just something to consider.
ive never needed to tune my ult, and my lvl10 was easy to tune after a bit of practice, although the ease of tuning it may vary from bolt to bolt. if you have problems with the lvl10, one thing that may help is to replace the stock urethane o-ring with a buna-n o-ring. they can be found in this kit: http://www.iisports.com/product.asp?s=iispaintball&pf_id=XP9955A-A&dept_id=12359 i heard about this from another AOer, and tried it out, even though i never had much trouble with my bolt anyway. the change made the bolt seal with considerably less friction, which i think would help out if you are having problems with tuning your bolt. (oh yeah, buna-n o-rings only work with nitro)

Halliday
08-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Read this:
Click me (http://www.tallahasseepaintball.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=218)
Linky no worky :(