PDA

View Full Version : Air america apocolypse old and new any differences?

stondroopy
08-13-2004, 01:53 AM
hi all, i wanted to know what the differences between a older say a few years old apocolypse(sp)2k and a brand new one I.E. reg made of steel instead of aluminum.Thanks for any info :)

Blazestorm
08-13-2004, 01:57 AM
One is made out of steel and the other aluminum

WTFBBQ!

That's pretty much all it is... the SS weighs about 20 pounds... the aluminum is only like 18 pounds... :D

The new one has an extended on/off arm to make it a bit easier to move....

xXHavokXx
08-13-2004, 02:50 AM
one weighs more than your gun the other is nice and light.

stondroopy
08-13-2004, 02:51 AM
new apoc or dynaflow?which would you choose?

Richter
08-13-2004, 06:59 PM
apoc = lifetime warranty

Muzikman
08-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Umm...

AA is making Stainless regs again?

The old Apocs (from the mid/late 90's) were made of Stainless Steel the newer (2001 and newer) are aluminum. They operate the same way. It's much like the difference between a Retro Mag valve and an X Valve.

p8ntballsteve
08-18-2004, 12:53 AM
AA is still making steel regs. the reason is simple. Steel holds up under pressure much longer than Aluminum. the aluminum regs start to see wear far earlier than steel, and with almost all internals on almost all regs being made of steel, making the body out of steel is the only way to make a reg that lasts. Regs out there that are aluminum don't last as long because of the fact that steel is rubbing up against aluminum and the aluminum can't withstand the harder metal without scratching and causing leaks.

BlackVCG
08-18-2004, 03:37 AM
Ummm... no. I've been in this sport for awhile, maybe not long enough, but I haven't come across many regs. that "almost all internals" are made of steel.

In the case of the AA Apocalypse - you have a brass piston with a urethane o-ring keeping the brass from actually touching the piston bore. You have a SS reg. valve pin that doesn't touch anything other than the spring that holds it in place and the plastic reg. seat. The spring pack is for the most part surrounded by the adjusting nut.

In the case of AGD all aluminum valves, they're using 7075 T-6 Aluminum Alloy which is still over-engineered for its application. The old 302 SS valves were (over-engineered)^2.

Other regs on the market, such as front LP regs. such as the Sidewinder, Stabalizer, Gladiator, Messiah, etc. are all aluminum and they either use aluminum or brass pistons.

I can guarantee you these AGD X-Valves are going to be around long after the design is phased out and something new is developed.

AA is still making steel regs. the reason is simple. Steel holds up under pressure much longer than Aluminum. the aluminum regs start to see wear far earlier than steel, and with almost all internals on almost all regs being made of steel, making the body out of steel is the only way to make a reg that lasts. Regs out there that are aluminum don't last as long because of the fact that steel is rubbing up against aluminum and the aluminum can't withstand the harder metal without scratching and causing leaks.

Muzikman
08-18-2004, 10:42 AM

Except for the Raptor and Raptor Rex, what regs are AA making that are stainless?