PDA

View Full Version : Xp Sp2

Trick
08-15-2004, 12:34 PM
So who downloaded the early version like me? :D

I never used Internet Explorer, so I don't know about all the updates that pertain to it, but I love the security center they incorporated, allows easy configuration of the built in firewall and such.

So far it seems that Microsoft has made good on it's promises.

If you don't got it, it'll be out in the automatic updater tomorrow.

fire1811
08-15-2004, 01:25 PM
yeah im still debating on to DL it or now i will probably just wait now. see how it goes for other people.

which reminds me
SYSTEM BACKUP TIME

microsoft + me

Dryden
08-15-2004, 01:41 PM
I've installed SP2 on every WinXP PC I have both at home (2) and at work (about 60) since RC1 and it's awesome. The pop-up blocker in IE alone is worth the 270 Mb download. The firewall actually appears to be highly functional and intelligent about prompting you when you launch an application such as FTP or IRC. :) That said, I think you might find SP2 a little frustrating if you download files by the hundreds, particularly with things like DCC transfers under IRC. SP2's firewall will take a little extra configuration on your part, or you'll need to remember to open the Security Control Panel and disable it when necessary.

SP2 final has been available since the 10th, and IMO you should install it immediately. Here's the link to the Service Pack 2 Redistributable (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en) so you don't have to agonize over the Windows Updater incremental version.