PDA

View Full Version : freak barrel

jdaniels
08-15-2004, 10:48 PM
If i can piece together a freak barrel system for about 60 to 70 bucks would it be worth it. I have read a lot of posts that people dont really like the barrels and others love them. I dont know if this is a personal thing of if the barrels just dont work all that well. Do people that have these barrels love them or what. I know there are other systems out there but they are expensive. Also what inserts do you use most. i can get it cheaper if i only get 2 or 3 inserts instead of the kit.

Thanks

Automaggot68
08-15-2004, 11:25 PM
If i can piece together a freak barrel system for about 60 to 70 bucks would it be worth it. I have read a lot of posts that people dont really like the barrels and others love them. I dont know if this is a personal thing of if the barrels just dont work all that well. Do people that have these barrels love them or what. I know there are other systems out there but they are expensive. Also what inserts do you use most. i can get it cheaper if i only get 2 or 3 inserts instead of the kit.

Thanks
I'm prety sure you've answered your own question.
Some people like them, some dont.
It's preference.
For THAT price, a full kit is a good buy.

Mister Sinister
08-15-2004, 11:32 PM
I think it would be. But then I have had nothing but good luck with my freak. I like the fact that I have used the same kit with all my guns. I have backs for my Angel, Ule Mag, Pf mag, Spider. So if you buy a new guy you dont have to get rid of your whole kit just get a new back. Which used are pretty cheap and easy enough to find kicking around used. There are alot of nice barrels on the market and most of it just comes down to preference. As far as sizes go my most used would probably be the .691 bore with the .689 and .683 coming next.

peewee
08-15-2004, 11:59 PM
For the price great deal. I thus far have not had any issues with the freak system. Most of the people that I have seen complain are usually two types. The hype followers or anti SP people. I took a few years off from paintball a while back. Couple years ago I started to get back into it. At that time the freak was the "GOD it couldnt be any better than this " barrel system. All the guys at the pro shops local were talking it up. But as soon as the pipe empire , dye , CP systems hit they changed thier tune for what was ever the flavor of the month.. I pieced together a freak that covers both my mags & with the addition of a white wolf barrel I'LL have my new phantom coverd. You best bet is buy it, give it a try. :shooting:

vonort
08-16-2004, 07:09 AM
Never been a fan of the Freak. I don't like inserts. If I am getting a kit I want backs not inserts. And there are so many other barrels that shoot better than a freak out on the market. And my opinion has nothing to do with the fact that I don't like the way SP is trying to destroy the industry. I felt this way about the freak when it first came out. Multi bores is pretty much hype anyways.

fire1811
08-16-2004, 07:22 AM
i have had two freaks and disliked both of them.
for one you dont need the whole kit most likely you will only ever use 3 or maybe 4 inserts.

my main problem with the freak was that if you matched the paint to the bore(blowing though)
you would get barrel breaks often. so you had to use a bigger bore then what you should.

i would take one solid bore barrel over a full freak kit anyday. but thats just my opinion.

Dryden
08-16-2004, 07:58 AM
IMO, the Freak is most beneficial if you own several different markers, since with the Freak, you only need to buy a single new back for each make/model of paintball gun you own. If you only own one marker though, or you have several markers that all use the same thread type, I'd suggest skipping the Freak and looking for something cheaper. I've owned a Freak kit for over a year and have found I rarely use anything other than the .684 or .687 inserts. If I had known that back then, I could've just bought a single CP one-piece .685 barrel and saved myself a $155. At the very least, if you have your heart set on the Freak, buy every other back ... because you certainly don't need eight of them.

What I think is missed by a lot of people who keep parroting how important "paint to barrel match" is is that the paintballs themselves aren't that consistent to begin with. It's all a conspiracy to sell you more barrels! Do you really - and I mean really - believe that the paintballs you're shooting are perfect enough from shot to shot (or bag to bag or case to case) that a bore adjustment of three-thousandths of one inch has any effect on the trajectory of the ball?

MindJob
08-16-2004, 08:19 AM
I love my Freak, but I hate Smart parts. So, I got a White Wolf Freak back, and had Doc Nickel cut my stock Xmag barrel into a tip.

Since I have 4 guns, the Freak kit is a wonderful thing. As far as getting all of the inserts go, I definately recomend getting the whole kit if you play often at different feilds. You'd be surprised how often you run into an odd size field paint, especially when the weather is funky.

BUT, bottom line is that it is all a matter of preference. I shot the Scepter kit, the CP kit, and the J&J kit and they all worked great. Go with what you like and what you can get a good deal on.

rpm07
08-16-2004, 03:11 PM
I had a Freak used it 2 times and sold it. For some reason it broke balls nonstop.
I have team mates that have them and the love them. I went with a Scepter kit and love it never had a break yet with it.

Lohman446
08-16-2004, 06:58 PM
What I think is missed by a lot of people who keep parroting how important "paint to barrel match" is is that the paintballs themselves aren't that consistent to begin with. It's all a conspiracy to sell you more barrels! Do you really - and I mean really - believe that the paintballs you're shooting are perfect enough from shot to shot (or bag to bag or case to case) that a bore adjustment of three-thousandths of one inch has any effect on the trajectory of the ball?

:hail: I have been trying to make this point for sometime. Do you know how little difference there is in .001 - .005 - no way do you tell the difference under normal circumstances. Get a large bore barrel (.692) and shoot - it will shoot the occassional big ball without breaking it - this of course applies to open bolt gun, I understand the issues when the barrel is the detent.

Dryden
08-16-2004, 07:10 PM
:hail: I have been trying to make this point for sometime. Do you know how little difference there is in .001 - .005 - no way do you tell the difference under normal circumstances.The best way to demonstrate that it's the ball that stinks, and not the barrel, is do the drop-through test with a Freak insert. Then, take a different ball out of the same bag and do the drop-through test again. And again. And again. In one bag of tourny grade paint you'll find within the first ten balls that you could reasonably use any of three inserts.

This isn't to say that the barrel bore size has no effect, because I really believe it does, however it isn't so profound as to require a barrel at every .003 increment.

From my experience - and alot of money invested in old fashioned trial-and-error - you need two bore sizes. Big and Bigger. :)

gc82000
08-16-2004, 07:32 PM
I have a freak and have had it for almost five months. And yet I have yet to expeirience any breaks of any kind, barrel or chop. So what are you guys talking about. On guam the humidity is crazy anywhere from 95% to 110%. So if you use one size bore in the morning you will need a different size bore at noon. Then a different size at three. If it is a rainy day then you could go throughas much as five bores.
But the main adavantage about the freaks that I like is the fact that I can have a different back for each gun.I have one for both my angel and my ule'd mag. and I just leave them on each gun and remove the inserts when I am going to store them.

-Tab
08-16-2004, 07:52 PM
i love my freak, but it's really the only barrel kit i've used. i'm sure i'd find one that i like more.

the only thing that i just found to be a problem:
the front likes to srew off on it's own. not too big of a deal - if you're not shooting a cocker.
the pneumatics get in my way, which makes it REALLY hard to get the back off. it's e-bladed so that doesn't help at all.

punkncat
08-16-2004, 07:59 PM
rpm07
I had a Freak used it 2 times and sold it. For some reason it broke balls nonstop.
I have team mates that have them and the love them. I went with a Scepter kit and love it never had a break yet with it

Using too small a bore or very irregular shaped paint.

vonort
Never been a fan of the Freak. I don't like inserts. If I am getting a kit I want backs not inserts. And there are so many other barrels that shoot better than a freak out on the market. And my opinion has nothing to do with the fact that I don't like the way SP is trying to destroy the industry. I felt this way about the freak when it first came out. Multi bores is pretty much hype anyways.

Multi bore comes in really handy when dealing with different fields FPO from week to week. Also quite handy when using a really low pressure marker. If the bore is too big you can't make velocity.

To answer the question , I use the blue and green inserts most often. I think thats .689 and .691. I have never used the smallest insert.

p8nt_junkie
08-16-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm with Mindjob. I love the Freak, but I don't really care for the politics of the paintball industry as a whole. Inserts are cool b/c you can change them without taking the barrel apart. And if you have two or more markers with proprietary threading it makes switching between guns easy. Good price btw dude.

darkghost
08-16-2004, 09:36 PM
i've had my freak for about 2 1/2 years and i love it i like being able to ghange the length. personaly i use the longer fronts most of the time since u can push them into the bunker and have it mold around the barrel. the only thing i would warn you about is o make sure u size a few balls rather than just 1 or 2. i doubt youll use all the inserts either unless u use a rare paint. the whole time ive had it ive mostly used .691 green, .689 blue, .687 red, and .684 purple. i still think its a good idea to have the others cuz i can shoot almost any quality paint.

Wc Keep
08-16-2004, 09:43 PM
i love my freak. we were playing at a field and they had brown box paint. 10 of us bought this paint and used it. only two of us were able to shoot it cause we had bore sizes big enough for the paint. we used 695 and it shot darts.

i have also used 679 on more than one occasion. so i think the freak is great.

why do i need a username make sure that your oring is in there properly in the freak tip. also you can take the freak tip off take the insert out and put an allen key into the window and turn the barrel to take it off.

<Echoes>
08-16-2004, 11:13 PM
On guam the humidity is crazy anywhere from 95% to 110%..

110% humidity you say? :rofl: :p