PDA

View Full Version : How to setup a wireless network?

Twon
08-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Hi guys,

Here what I got:
Desktop computer with a WiFi G network card
IBM Laptop with a WiFi G network car
Toshiba with an integrated WiFi network car
DLink WiFi G hub
internet
Windows XP on every computer

Okay so basicly I got the Internet on every computer, that was easy to setup. I seached and read over windows and cannot setup my wireless network. I'm trying to setup a home/small office network but it doesn't work, I'm obviously doing something wrong but can't find out. What do I need to do in my hardware and software to make it happend?

Any help would be appreciated :hail: :hail:

Twon

Miscue
08-16-2004, 09:00 PM
How to setup a wireless network

Not like my neighbors. Can we say... free cable modem access?

:D

Urm, how are you connected to the Internet and not to your local network?

Ironmag
08-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Hehe, in my apartment complex, there is about 4 other wireless networks in my area so I have restricted acess to my network.

The question I also would like to ask is if you have cable or DSL internet or just ol' dial-up.

Twon
08-16-2004, 09:11 PM
I got the internet legaly with Bell Sympatico. It's a DSL stuff that I plug into my hub. I just installed my card and voila, I got the Internet. but I can't share stuff between 2 computers.

Twon

Ironmag
08-16-2004, 09:50 PM
I got the internet legaly with Bell Sympatico. It's a DSL stuff that I plug into my hub. I just installed my card and voila, I got the Internet. but I can't share stuff between 2 computers.

Twon

Ok, the way I acess another computer on my network is by typing in the IP address of the specific comp I want to acess. I do this with my PC accessing my Mac laptop and seems to work pretty good. You type in the IP address under the Run option in the Start Menu in Windows. To check the IP address, just double click the Wireless Network Connection icon in the task bar area on the bottom right and click on the Support tab. For ex. the computer that you want to access has the IP of 192.168.0.108 then you type in \\192.168.0.108 in the run prompt. Hopefully it'll work for you.

Twon
08-16-2004, 10:14 PM
It doesn't....

fire1811
08-16-2004, 10:42 PM
my advice go download windown service pack 2 you will have it up and running in 5 minutes
very easy step by step instructions

Wolfen
08-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Also, if you have Norton Internet Security, check the access and restriction rules it sets for itself. I went through every single component trying to figure out why I my computers weren't talking to each other, come to find out when I installed NIS it created a rule that blocked file sharing.

pbzmag
08-17-2004, 12:10 AM
my advice go download windown service pack 2 you will have it up and running in 5 minutes
very easy step by step instructions

I've been reading up on that and you most likely get some problems with applications, including Outlook, McAfee, and Symantec. I'd wait awhile before doing that. Run the Network Setup Wizard to get your computers to see each other. I also had to do a reg hack to get both my pc and laptop to see each other. I don't have a link to the hack as I did it months ago. I found it in the MS forums.

Jluvs2dive
08-17-2004, 12:33 AM
Hi guys,

Here what I got:
Desktop computer with a WiFi G network card
IBM Laptop with a WiFi G network car
Toshiba with an integrated WiFi network car
DLink WiFi G hub
internet
Windows XP on every computer
What do I need to do in my hardware and software to make it happend?

Twon

What is it you would like to do on your network? Share files? Share Printers? Network gaming? Here are some basics from the info you have provided. I assume that your DLink hub/router is still pretty much default configured, running as a DHCP server, (assigns IP addresses to clients)? Assuming that, your IP subnet is probably 192.168.?.?. Making that assumption your are part of the way there. If you go into My Network Places, and then to Entire Network, then Microsoft Network, you should see a workgroup name of MSHome by default. If you click on that, you should see the names of the other computers. By default there is almost nothing shared on XP machines, so clicking on the machines at this point will probably just time out, but you can easily enable some shares or just use the Administrator share, (\\Computer Name or IP\c$, and connect as an administrator with admin's user name and password. To share folders, just right click and choose sharing and security, enable the share and set permissions. You can share printers like this too. If you don't have the same user name set up on each of the systems, you will need to add the user names that you want to use for the permissions, unless you want to just use the "Connect As" method and use the admin account.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful and not too confusing. :) If you want to ask more questions about this, feel free to. I'm not sure how quickly I will get to it, but I will check back. I actually only joined this forum to answer this question. I ended up here by a link from another PB forum and saw your question. I am a network admin so I thought I would try to help you out.

John

fire1811
08-17-2004, 12:47 AM
I've been reading up on that and you most likely get some problems with applications, including Outlook, McAfee, and Symantec. I'd wait awhile before doing that. Run the Network Setup Wizard to get your computers to see each other. I also had to do a reg hack to get both my pc and laptop to see each other. I don't have a link to the hack as I did it months ago. I found it in the MS forums.

mcafee is the only one you listed that i am not using and i have so far had zero problems with sp2. its actually very cool. the pop up blocker works well. i turened my other one off just to see how it would preform and it was surprisingly well.
dont be afraid of sp2

pbzmag
08-17-2004, 01:00 AM
mcafee is the only one you listed that i am not using and i have so far had zero problems with sp2. its actually very cool. the pop up blocker works well. i turened my other one off just to see how it would preform and it was surprisingly well.
dont be afraid of sp2

It should be fine for personal computers. But when it come to corporate networks with hundreds of desktops and laptops, us techs tend to worry. At my work, were testing SP2 right now on one of our helpdesk computers. We're still running old apps and seeing if there is anything problems. Oh yeah, we're even still running 98 on a few machines because of compatibility issues with software that isn't supported on 2k/XP.

Twon
08-17-2004, 06:55 AM
I see the network place and MSHOME, but there is nothing inside. I tried to access by the ip adress and it says It can't find the computer.

Hummm...

Could it be Norton Security?

Twon

Jluvs2dive
08-17-2004, 10:02 AM
I see the network place and MSHOME, but there is nothing inside. I tried to access by the ip adress and it says It can't find the computer.

Could it be Norton Security?

Twon

It probably is Norton Security causing the main issue. I personally don't run Norton Security, but I did a quick search on their website for file sharing with NS, and they have instructions for adding your local PC's to the trusted zone. Click here (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/429934053165308488256d8e0076af48/be85c89eef5b607c88256a2c0058b36f?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Internet%20Security&ver=2004%20for%20Windows%2098/Me/2000/XP&src=sg&pcode=nis&svy=&csm=no) for that article.

Also, there is a very good section on the MS website on networking with XP Home. Click here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx). You may find this helpful for any other setup questions. You may want to try the simple file sharing method first, just to verify connectivity, then move to permission based sharing.

John

Twon
08-17-2004, 06:38 PM
okay, thats for all the infos. I already tried everything you guys posted, still without results. If there is anyone who can access my computer trying to see what's going on, you are welcome.

Twon

Jluvs2dive
08-17-2004, 06:51 PM
okay, thats for all the infos. I already tried everything you guys posted, still without results. If there is anyone who can access my computer trying to see what's going on, you are welcome.

Twon

Can you ping the other PC's? If you don't know how to do this, just click Start, then Run, type Command in the run line and click OK. At the command prompt, type ping IP address or computer name and then hit enter. Do you get a response or does it give you time outs?

John

Twon
08-17-2004, 08:02 PM
No, I don't get any response, it says I'm not allowed

Twon

Jluvs2dive
08-18-2004, 09:29 AM
No, I don't get any response, it says I'm not allowed

Twon

It says ping is not allowed?

Check out this article on Norton Internet Security. Click here. (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2000121915380036?Open&src=sg&docid=2003120409222336&nsf=nip.nsf&view=429934053165308488256d8e0076af48/0b00821f98643c5088256df2005e8fb4?opendocument&prod=norton%20internet%20security&ver=2004%20for%20windows%2098/me/2000&dtype=&prod=Norton%20Internet%20Security&ver=2004%20for%20Windows%2098/Me/2000/XP&osv=&osv_lvl=)

John

Twon
08-18-2004, 03:43 PM
No, Im sorry, it says that the adress was not found. That's curious because I allowed the adress of my laptop and my girl's laptop to access my computer in Norton Security.

As a matter of fact. My sister also got 2 computers with wifi network and she cannot set anything. No matter how hard she tried, nothing works. I runned the network wizard more than 15 times, read everything in windowsXP related to networking, my folders are shared and still It won't work.

Anyone else can help me?

Twon

Jluvs2dive
08-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Hey, hit me up on AIM or MSN messenger. Lets see if we can get this resolved for you.

John

pbzmag
08-18-2004, 08:18 PM
There is a reg hack that you need to do. I found it on the microsoft newsgroup when I had the same problem. As for ping replies not working, by default icmp replies are blocked on a workgroup network. Here's how you change it:

Right click "My Network Places" and click on properties. Click on "Advanced" tab and check off "Protect my computer...". The settings button on the bottom should now be enabled, click on it. Click on the "ICMP" tab and check off "Allow incoming echo request. Click on both "OK"'s and know any computer on your network can ping you.

As for trying to see other computers when you double click on "My Network Places", I'll try to find the fix.

MonsterMag
08-18-2004, 08:25 PM
just plu the eather net cable into the rouder , then turn it on and it should work

Jluvs2dive
08-18-2004, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=pbzmag]As for ping replies not working, by default icmp replies are blocked on a workgroup network. Here's how you change it:
QUOTE]

Thanks pbzmag. That must be one of the differences between XP Home and XP Pro. I have not had much experience on XP Home. All of the networks I work on are Domains, so they require XP Pro.

John

pbzmag
08-18-2004, 09:21 PM
That's odd. Both my computers are Pro and I had to enable it. I'm guessing that since it's computers on a workgroup, each computer is responsible for icmp echo's and not the network.

Edit: Found the fix (http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm#4) !