PDA

View Full Version : do i nead to put loctite on my threads when i change tanks

freakfactoryimp
08-16-2004, 07:30 PM
well i am changing my tank on my flatline to a 47 to a 144 and i know that i nead to take off the gauges and everything, i nead a strap wrench thing to wrap around the tank, but what i was wondering about was if i nead to put loctite on the threads and if so what kind red or black.

lew
08-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT use red Loctite anywhere near a tank. It requires heat to remove it, and, should you need to remove the tank, you will damage the tank with the heat. If you were going to use any Loctie, use blue. It does not require heat to remove it. However, Loctite is not needed on tank threads. The tank just needs to be screwed on to the regulator with the correct amount of torque.

freakfactoryimp
08-16-2004, 08:01 PM
well im just goin to get some blue or black. whatever color b/c i cant put 35lbps of torque on a tank.

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Yeah, w/e ya do dont use the red loctite. You really dont need to use any kind of loctite. All ya need to do is tighten it down really good. The pressre of the tank when its filled will hold the barrel on like its supposed to.

gc82000
08-16-2004, 08:08 PM
If I were you I would ask a pro to do it for you that way a it will done right.

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-16-2004, 08:10 PM
If I were you I would ask a pro to do it for you that way a it will done right.
A "pro" as you call them or the people who work at shops will either just tighten then as much as they can or use the blue loctite. There is no reason to pay the extra cash to have someone do the same thing your gonna do.

than205
08-16-2004, 09:37 PM
If I were to consider future liabilities, I would call the manufacturer and see if they would do this as a service for you. Since they are going to know the torque spec and have the tools to do the job.
Don't take the chance that what your going to do is ok, please.

freakfactoryimp
08-16-2004, 10:03 PM
well my home depot didnt have loc tite or well i couldnt find it so i got something called loc pro. they had 2 diff kinds they had removable and permanate so i got the permanate i hope this is the same stuff as loc tite.

shatter_storm
08-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Do not locktite your threads - doing so can clog the release hole that's in the threads and turn your tank into a rocket if it unscrews. The hole is there so that if your tank unscrews halfway it starts venting pressure before you can unscrew it all the way out.

Also, don't swap the tanks unless you can torque the reg down within spec. You could probably get away with using a strap wrench and cranking down on it, but do you want to be the one held responsible for causing serious injury or death to someone? Bring it to a qualified airsmith or a scuba shop if you can't do it yourself.

XbeasleyX
08-17-2004, 12:40 AM
E-mail manufacturer and get the torque specs. Either find or buy the kind of strap wrench that uses a ratchet, now use a torque wrench to tighten to specs.

XbeasleyX
08-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Just remembered. Does anyone know where I can get a new tank for my rebuildable style PE reg, its an 88 now and would like either a 72stubby or 68.

Thordic
08-17-2004, 08:38 AM
It's not a screw-in tank, its a flatline.

Just hand-tightening it is fine. DO NOT PUT ANY SORT OF THREAD CRAP ON THE THREADS! IT CAN MAKE YOUR TANK MORE DANGEROUS!

Need me to say that again?

DO NOT USE LOCTITE OR ANY SORT OF THREADLOCKER ON THE THREADS. PERIOD.

If you want to be really anal you can get someone with a torque wrench to put it on, but tons of people who know what they are doing simply hand-tighten their adjustable tanks. You can't do this with screw-ins for obvious reasons but it works fine for adjustable tanks, thats how my Dynaflow is, and I've never had any problems. I know Manike and Bill Mills both do the same thing with their tanks.