PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Firefighters!

hAppy
08-17-2004, 01:36 PM
Hey guys, I am in need of some information regarding the education of firefighters.

I am a senior in high school, and I have my heart set on becoming a firefighter, except I don't know what it takes to become a firefighter. I am talking about the education and college courses.

I just need someone to tell me what I need to do out of high school. Like what college do I go to, what degree I should get. If it is necessary to get the highest degree in order to move up ranks. Etc. Please help, I need to get some info together so I can apply to colleges! :cheers:

fire1811
08-17-2004, 04:19 PM
well i will start off by saying that its good to have a school education but that doesnt mean your going to move up in the ranks. USUALLY ranks are earned in the fireservice. politics dont work to well in this line of work. although some seem to get away with it :tard:
not saying that what your going for though :)

anyway one of the best things you could do now is to check and see if your area has a volunteer department. if so see if you can get on.

as for college classes most colleges offer classes in Fire Science. although great classes most are just class room classes. good but not as good as hands on.
I know colleges around here have a listing for "Fire Service"

one thing that is sure to benifit you also is EMS. like it or not(I HATE IT) EMS is 80% of are job now, so it is very important to get. Im not sure what CA steps are in EMS but i would definatly get EMT-Basic(lowest). EMT-Paramedic(highest) would be WAY better but thats about a 2yr class.

again not sure of CA steps but there are also different firefighing levels
in Illinois.
it some departments dont require nothing to get on. which would be level one=nothing
next is "Firefighter 2"
last is "Firefighter 3"
both should be aquired by going though an acadamy. usually around 5-6 months 2-3 times a week.

other certs that could help you in getting a full time job are
Hazmat. IL levels= Awareness, Operations, Tech A,B
High angle, below grade,collapes resque.

college classes will definatly help you but you cannot beat it if you can get onto a volly department. you will get gear, run calls, get hands on experience, and most departments will pay for your firefighting classes. and its way easier to get info and keep up to date on things when your involved in it.

most full time departments in IL and most other states USUALLY require you to be Certified Firefighter 2 and EMT-B

anthing else let me know.

also dont let people tell you that volunteers are not as good of firefighters are full time.
that is a bunch of crap. Fire burns and will kill you the same no matter what your status is.
if anything volunteers have it harder due to not having staffed rigs so there respones time is longer, less equipment, and older equipment.

currently i am both. I volly for the town i live in and I am also a full timer.

Stay safe, stay low, let it blow

fire1811
08-17-2004, 04:20 PM
wow that could possibly be my longest post every :headbang: