PDA

View Full Version : Why do people ask...

NJPaint
08-17-2004, 02:23 PM
the number of cases that a valve has shot? This is in reference to buying used valves. I get asked this all the time "How many cases of paint have been through that valve?" Seriously, does it make a difference? You need a enough to break the valve in, but I feel like I am devaluing my valves when I say that 20, 40 or even 100 cases have gone through it. If I take care of it, what does it matter the ammount of paint going through it?

jesseyo13
08-17-2004, 02:39 PM
I would ask so I know if the valve needs new orings in the near future or to get an idea of how much use it has had.

Meph
Companies get that a lot actually, but in a different area. When teching markers, if there's "unusual" wear first question "How many times have you shot this?" They'll think exclusively paintballs shot, so 1 case. They won't think to mention the 10-cases worth of dry-firing in the staging area, or at home, or what have you. As if somehow those don't cause wear and tear, only when paintballs are shot.

As for the break-in period with your automag it's a fair question though. LVL10 and ULT don't work perfect out of box. They take time to tweek, shoot a case, re-tweek, shoot another case, and tweek again! Not always, some times breakin time is shorter than others but definately beneficial.

But it doesn't matter how well you take care of it, the cycling is what will eventually wear away the seals and make them need to be replaced. Definately not happening after only 10 cases but eventually will. It's like them asking for a pic. There's pictures everywhere on the net for mag valves, for other markers, anything. But they specifically have to have a picture of that particular valve as if it's special!

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
Because people think of guns as cars, and thus the less usage the better.

But thats cuz they are ignorant

NJPaint
08-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Companies get that a lot actually, but in a different area. When teching markers, if there's "unusual" wear first question "How many times have you shot this?" They'll think exclusively paintballs shot, so 1 case. They won't think to mention the 10-cases worth of dry-firing in the staging area, or at home, or what have you. As if somehow those don't cause wear and tear, only when paintballs are shot.

As for the break-in period with your automag it's a fair question though. LVL10 and ULT don't work perfect out of box. They take time to tweek, shoot a case, re-tweek, shoot another case, and tweek again! Not always, some times breakin time is shorter than others but definately beneficial.

But it doesn't matter how well you take care of it, the cycling is what will eventually wear away the seals and make them need to be replaced. Definately not happening after only 10 cases but eventually will. It's like them asking for a pic. There's pictures everywhere on the net for mag valves, for other markers, anything. But they specifically have to have a picture of that particular valve as if it's special!

Thats a stupid way of getting the information that you want. I have a vlave that has seen at least 50 cases. I've oiled it every use and replaced the seals/orings twice. Cycling the gun has nothing to do with the integredy of the valve, just the wearable parts, which could be shot after only a case anyways depending on how well taken care of the valve is.

And your analogy with pictures is also a bit odd... That valve is special... Its the one that they want to buy. Pictures prove (somewhat) that you infact own the valve and have it in your possession and can show any problems with that individual valve.

JoshK
08-17-2004, 03:08 PM
When I ask I just want to know...I dont offer less for valves that have more shots...I just want to know...It gives me some idea how old it is, and I just want to know...I know it doesnt really matter, it matters more how good it was kept care of...but again I just want to know...I want to know everything about my gun (including how many shots are throught the valve)

Meph
08-17-2004, 03:25 PM
I don't know about you, but that's the ONLY way you get the information. I can't ask the marker "Hey guy, how many times have you been shot?" Only source I got at the booth is the owner of the equipment! Sorry to tell ya.

Example, the first batch of Tippmann A-5's with RT's had sears and hammers that were not heat-treated properly. I don't know what went wrong in the process... but something did. Besides those they've all been fine. So when after only say 2 cases the sear is already worn to the full-auto state the customer gets worried or confused. So in order for me to figure out if it's one of those or just the customer has used it a lot you simply have to ask questions. And use that along with visual inspection of the marker.

If it looks like the internals besides those are perfect shape, I'll take his word for it. If it's a bit gunked up, the body is worn, and even the bolt has some scratches on it. Then I'll double check and see if he's been doing any dry-firing, personal work, etc. Warrenty covers man. defect, not personal modification from an internet site. As I'm sure AGD has also seen with filed down on/off pins and sears, themselves!

pointm@n
08-17-2004, 05:51 PM
It doesn't matter with AGD valves. these things seem to run and run and run. The engergizer bunny of the paintball world...