PDA

View Full Version : Give this a listen.

who_311
08-18-2004, 02:22 AM
Hey, my band's been recording for about a week now, and we have a couple of songs completly done. I wanted to see if you guys could give this a listen, and see what could be fixed, sound quality wise. Like if something sounds too echoey or roomy, that would help. Just know that we dont exactly have a wonderful set up right now, but we work with what we have. This song is called Mosh Fast Die Thrashed.

http://www.cky2k.org/upload/uploads/MoshFastDieThrashed.MP3

I hope that works. If it doesnt, and you still want to hear it, just hit me up on aim-Fanboy037

Thanks
alex

frop
08-18-2004, 04:00 AM
The cymbals are too loud for me, & I can't understand a single word the singer is saying. The guitar isn't real clear, as if you're recording through a crappy mic, if so try a direct input or a better mic. My absolute biggest complaint is the singer tho, no offense, but his singing doesn't fit the band at all. He belongs in a death metal or something similar band, while the instrumental parts sound like your more typical rock. Just my .02 cents :tard:

EDIT: Really, no offense, I'm not trying to flame you or your band, just my opinion as a fellow musician.

Chipper
08-18-2004, 09:13 AM
The cymbals are too loud for me, & I can't understand a single word the singer is saying. The guitar isn't real clear, as if you're recording through a crappy mic, if so try a direct input or a better mic. My absolute biggest complaint is the singer tho, no offense, but his singing doesn't fit the band at all. He belongs in a death metal or something similar band, while the instrumental parts sound like your more typical rock. Just my .02 cents :tard:

EDIT: Really, no offense, I'm not trying to flame you or your band, just my opinion as a fellow musician.
I'd have to agree. You need to work on the singing and lower the volume imput on the cymbols while upping the guitar. Not trying to flame you or anything, but I wouldn't listen to it.

shadowfalcon78
08-18-2004, 10:46 AM
no offense, but that screaming just cracks me up! needs a bit of work on lyrics.

BobTheCow
08-18-2004, 11:35 AM
My suggestion would have to be, stop trying to sound like System of a Down... the instrumentalism (if that wasn't a word before, it is now) is decent, but the "singing" really did make me want to laugh!!

BlitZkrieg
08-18-2004, 12:30 PM
nice man, sounds great. ive been with my band for 2 years; Operation Douche Bag and we play mostly misfits songs but still u guys sounds pretty good

pat

Cope
08-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Yeah, what they said- lower the cymbals and bring the guitar up in the mix.
The singing is way over the top. The man needs to calm down a bit.
The rest of the band sounds good as they are.

Automaggin2
08-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Wow, Alls i heard was "ahhhhhwahhhhwahhhhahhhtaaaawaaaaaahhhh"

No offense, but your singer sucks. But the guitar riffs rock :headbang:

penguinpunk555
08-18-2004, 02:03 PM
singer.... errr ummm.....bad

CaptaiN_JacK
08-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Sounds like you guys are trying a little too hard to be like Lamb of God, and if you haven't noticed, lamb of god isn't popular...at all. That style of music has a very small yet dedicated fan base, so don't expect to be playing many gigs with that style of singing.

who_311
08-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Well, this isnt a final mix, just a quick one, so nothing is final, and Ill turn down the cymbals on the final. The hihats WAY too loud, I need to check that.

To the lyrics, we're a grindcore band, thats the way it goes man. Goes listen to any really grind bands, and you'll hear that kind of screaming, Its what I like. But oh well. Thanks for all the comments and Ill check on the mics on the drums, which is really only 2 overheads and a kick, so you can understand how sound problems can happen. We dont exactly have the equipment to do an actually good recording.

PS-Did anyone hear randon kind of clicks or pops? Not as in recorded noise, but like a speaker pop, or soundwave clip? I wasnt totally sure if I had the levels right, this was a trial run.

thanks
alex

EDIT:
Sounds like you guys are trying a little too hard to be like Lamb of God, and if you haven't noticed, lamb of god isn't popular...at all. That style of music has a very small yet dedicated fan base, so don't expect to be playing many gigs with that style of singing.

Lamb of god sucks. Theyre popular too, i think your confusing them being popular with them sucking.

-=Squid=-
08-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Lamb of god sucks. Theyre popular too, i think your confusing them being popular with them sucking.
I'm no big lamb of god fan, but I don't really think you have a right to say they suck.

For that style of music, they do a great job. Go see them live.

TecnoRobo
08-18-2004, 02:57 PM
hmm, it was alright. There wasnt anything that really caught my attention to much. It seemed to me like you guys used the same riff for the majority of the song with little to no change ups.

The lower death metal esque growl was pretty good, but the high scream didnt do much for me.

:headbang:
you guys on your way though, keep playing and good luck with everything

personman
08-18-2004, 03:09 PM
no offense, but that screaming just cracks me up! needs a bit of work on lyrics.
ditto..
Its just not my style i guess :tard:

who_311
08-18-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm no big lamb of god fan, but I don't really think you have a right to say they suck.

For that style of music, they do a great job. Go see them live.
Okay, I have seen them live, and I just dont like them. Also, I have the right to have any opinion on anything I want, thats the beauty of opinions, everyone has one. That being said, you have the right to say anything you wnat to say about anything I say, so its all good.

Also, this song is the most simplistic song we have, shortest too. We have other material that is much more complex with alot of breakdowns and whatnot. Once we finish up some other songs and get rough mixes, I might throw them on here, maybe. But i guess there isnt much of a grind crowd here. Oh well.

thanks
alex

Warewolf50
08-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Hmm when it first started playing i was like this is really good, but when the guy started singing or yelling i guess, i couldnt stop laughing. Not trying to be mean here i jsut gues thats not the type of rock im into. So if u are having fun and enjoying what u are doing keep wiht it.

t33kyboy
08-18-2004, 03:41 PM
:headbang: :headbang: I LOVE IT!!!

:rofl:

trevorjk
08-18-2004, 11:39 PM
i think it has potential... just get a better recording where the symbols aren't so loud... other then that work on the screams... they flat out suck, unless its just the recording

ZSigErik
08-18-2004, 11:51 PM
Im a HUGE grindcore fan and heavily involved in my local gc scene, but this was FAR from grind IMO. The guitar was mediocre at best and the drums, though the highlight of the whole effort(as any grindcore band should), were still off. I heard next to no bass presense what-so-ever, and to follow suit with the rest of the board here, the singer is TERRIBLE.

I mean, trust me, Ive heard some bad grind around here, so this came as no surprise, but you guys show something most dont, potential. Theres a little spark there that I see(hear) where I know if you fellas were pointed in the right direction, you could be alot better. I take it you have two guitarists right? This song sounded like the work of one, and if thats the case, look into two, any true grind band does.

All in all, not a bad attempt, and like you said, its far from complete. So once you get some finality to this project, hit me up again at justkeptfading on AIM, or post here, Id be more than happy to give it a good lookover.

Keep Rockin' In the Freeworld. :headbang:

Steelrat
08-19-2004, 01:53 AM
Man, I must be getting old. It sounded like alternating screaming and burping. I don't mean to critique, since even playing one note on any instrument is beyond me, but that just made me laugh. I think fans of the genre, like Z-sig, are better qualified to evaluate it.

YEMAMAMAMANAAAAAAAA....Buuuuuurp!

who_311
08-19-2004, 01:55 AM
You guys need to hear our other stuff, this is our easiest, most simple song, so we just did it first. Today me and marlow(drummer) layed down tracks for a song, which is probably more to your liking, its just an 8 minute epic thrash-grind-crew song.

Also, Id like to add again, this is far from being complete, we might add more guitar, different vox track, I dont know, we'll just have to see. I kinda like the vocals though, huh, oh well. I guess I listen to too much crucial unit and charles bronson.

It kind of sucks how many people disliked it so much, I like it, but maybe i do because i recorded it. I dont know. but thanks for all the comments, Ill relay these to the guys.

We fixed the drum mic set up today added one for the toms and pulled the overheads back, which means less cymbals.

thanks
alex

Steelrat
08-19-2004, 01:59 AM
Dude, don't take the criticism too hard. A lot of us arent members of your target audience. Imagine me subjecting your fans to a performance of Gustav Holst's "The Planets." It'd get the same reaction.

At least you guys are out there trying. My brother in Issaquah jumped from band to band for a while, and even in his current band they had to work and work for years to get to where they are now, putting out an album on the Columbia label. Just keep pluggin away.

who_311
08-19-2004, 02:15 AM
Dude, don't take the criticism too hard. A lot of us arent members of your target audience. Imagine me subjecting your fans to a performance of Gustav Holst's "The Planets." It'd get the same reaction.

At least you guys are out there trying. My brother in Issaquah jumped from band to band for a while, and even in his current band they had to work and work for years to get to where they are now, putting out an album on the Columbia label. Just keep pluggin away.

What are they called, I may know them.

ZSigErik
08-19-2004, 10:37 AM
You guys need to hear our other stuff, this is our easiest, most simple song, so we just did it first. Today me and marlow(drummer) layed down tracks for a song, which is probably more to your liking, its just an 8 minute epic thrash-grind-crew song.

Also, Id like to add again, this is far from being complete, we might add more guitar, different vox track, I dont know, we'll just have to see. I kinda like the vocals though, huh, oh well. I guess I listen to too much crucial unit and charles bronson.

It kind of sucks how many people disliked it so much, I like it, but maybe i do because i recorded it. I dont know. but thanks for all the comments, Ill relay these to the guys.

We fixed the drum mic set up today added one for the toms and pulled the overheads back, which means less cymbals.

thanks
alex

Well, you posted music here, wanting us to "give it a listen", and you wanted opinions or comments after we listened. This is exactly what all of us did. We werent listening, thinking "Well, this is thier simpliest track, so I wont think much of it". This is what you put out for the public to hear, and the public responded.

Steelrat
08-19-2004, 11:38 AM
Their band is called "Acceptance."

who_311
08-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Well, you posted music here, wanting us to "give it a listen", and you wanted opinions or comments after we listened. This is exactly what all of us did. We werent listening, thinking "Well, this is thier simpliest track, so I wont think much of it". This is what you put out for the public to hear, and the public responded.
Well, I actually asked everyone for their opinion of the sound quality, not the music, so I could maybe get tips to better our recording equipment/process but i like getting critisism like this, it makes me look for ways to make the stuff better. I just said that it was the most simple just so you knew, not as an excuse for it being bad. I was in no means complaining or anything either, I appreciate all the comments, it helps. Thanks.

Their band is called "Acceptance."
Oh yeah dude, I know them. Ive seen them a couple times, never on purpose, they were usually opening for someone at the Graceland or something. They were pretty cool if i remember.

Bolter
08-19-2004, 05:17 PM
stick with it man, sounds great but you guys need to work on timing. I mean the playing at the same time, could be a little crisper.

Also the recording sounded like you were at the other end of a large room. Keep going though, sounds ok to me :)

Ov3rmind
08-19-2004, 06:00 PM
I mean, trust me, Ive heard some bad grind around here, so this came as no surprise, but you guys show something most dont, potential. Theres a little spark there that I see(hear) where I know if you fellas were pointed in the right direction, you could be alot better. I take it you have two guitarists right? This song sounded like the work of one, and if thats the case, look into two, any true grind band does.
I'm going to agree with this. IMO, it was pretty iffy, but I think that could change with more practice and possibley better recording quality.

warthog2t0
08-19-2004, 06:52 PM
I can't understand a single word the singer is saying.

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU MTRYING TO PULL! IFM YOU RECOREDED THAT AND THINK THAT VOCALS ARE GREAT YOU NEED TO: 1, GET A GUN; 2, PUT TO HEAD; 3 ???; 4, PROFIT. DO IT THE MAYHEM WAY OF BEING A BAND, KILL EACHOTHER TO BECOME A BETTER BAND :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Ov3rmind
08-19-2004, 07:00 PM
WHAT THE **** ARE YOU MTRYING TO PULL! IFM YOU RECOREDED THAT AND THINK THAT VOCALS ARE GREAT YOU NEED TO: 1, GET A GUN; 2, PUT TO HEAD; 3 ???; 4, PROFIT. DO IT THE MAYHEM WAY OF BEING A BAND, KILL EACHOTHER TO BECOME A BETTER BAND :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Not only is your caps lock stuck, but you butchered the 1-4 profit post perfected on PBN. It's sad that you're posts don't reflect your supposed age (going off of profile here).

-=Squid=-
08-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Whats even funnier is the guy that he quoted didn't say anything about liking the vocals.

RetroEclipseMan
08-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Hey, man it's starting to come together. Like you said earlier the recording needs some work but I think once it's complete it will sound a lot better. Take all these critiques with a grain of salt man. Coming from a fellow artist don't take them personally just use them to make your stuff better. I personally like my stuff being torn apart so I can know how to get better (just as long as that person isn't just trying to tear me down in the process). Do you still have that website up with some samples? I can't remember the url but you guys should check that stuff out, it's petty awsome. Can't wait to hear more.