PDA

View Full Version : Emag/X Battery Packs

The Frymarker
08-18-2004, 11:11 AM
I had a few pm's/ emails regarding whether or not my mill can carve the packs.

I just stuck a pack in there and we will see, I'll let all of you know in a bit. ;)

Well I tried everything, this particular grade of aluminum is too hard. The motor on the mill isn't strong enough to take it.......sorry guys :( :( :(

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-18-2004, 11:19 AM
SWEET! CAN YOU PM OR EMAIL ME THE RESULTS! I talked to that other guy you refered me to and unfortunatly he was let go from his job so im back to you (which im kinda glad about).

The Frymarker
08-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Whooo hooo!!! It Engraved on the pack!!!!!

However it can't do three dimentional carving like the grips....sorry about that, it is just too much for the tiny motor to take.

But engraving options are pretty neat!!!

Here in this pic you see the lines and circular cuts, those are from me trying to carve out the design which the mill reads as surfacing first and the carves the rest out of the aluminum....this is what my mill couldn't handle.

The lady in the middle is half carved because the mill hit a section of the cut out pack and lifted....which is a good thing because maybe it can carve on uneven surfaces.....hmmmm let me find a body around here!

Oh an another note, the engraving is so thick because I used an end mill instead of an engraving tool, I don't have any engraving tools yet, so keep that in mind if you want this done, I have to buy some tools first.

Weeeeeeee :dance:

http://www.grip-me.com/gripmepics/engravedpack.jpg

thecavemankevin
08-18-2004, 05:32 PM
hmmm, after reading your pm response and then seeing this i still have a couple questions. How deep is the engraving on the pack? It looks relatively deep (more so than typical scratch engraving) in the pic. So if i were to send you my battery pack, you could engrave it now with similar width results shown above, or do you need us to wait till you get the proper tools?

Also, if i have it engraved, is it possible when reannoing to just reanno the normal pack and leave the engraved part untouched....or in a different color? Basically, if i want my raw battery pack engraved an annoed a different color than it is currently, should i have it annoed then send to you for engraving, or vice-versa?

RRfireblade
08-18-2004, 05:49 PM
However it can't do three dimentional carving like the grips....sorry about that, it is just too much for the tiny motor to take.

What are you using for a 'mill' ?

Is pretty much just for milling resins and such?

Just curious.....

AGDlover
08-18-2004, 06:05 PM
lol i would buy a Trucker girl!!! that is awsome man

SpecialBlend2786
08-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Lookin good!

Creative Mayhem
08-19-2004, 08:16 AM
Definately looks promising Heather! :cool: Keep us posted.

_tMAN
08-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Are you going to have a price list up soon Heather?

The Frymarker
08-19-2004, 11:30 AM
I don't know yet, I still have to work out the details and to be honest to do something like this is risky.

If the customer decides after the fact they don't like it, well we're both up the creek without a paddle.

I may just buy some parts and engrave on them and sell them. I can't guarantee perfection......I am by no means perfect.

Willystyle21
08-28-2004, 01:06 AM
I would like to get my pack milled with the POW/MIA logo. First I need to have it annoed black though.

The Frymarker
08-28-2004, 06:15 AM
Oooo that sounds neat!

Yeah when I get back from Shatnerball, I'm going to practice on a few piieces and show you what they look like.

Baisically the program works in blocks, I punch in the size and it just engraves in the middle of that, so it is up to me to position the piece directly in the middle of the bed.....ewwww

I have to get that down first :)

Muzikman
08-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Can you make a jig that will put the pack in the same spot every time?

The Frymarker
08-28-2004, 09:46 AM
The bed has lines on the other side of it, so I'm going to play with that to see where exactly I should place it down to cut.

It's too bad though it doesn't have "pin holes" to hold the pack in place, I have to use double sided tape.

AGDlover
08-28-2004, 12:05 PM
just get a template, draw it on the battery pack and follow the lines

Willystyle21
09-08-2004, 12:16 AM
So how much would that logo cost on my pack? 25 bucks, 35 bucks, or how bout my ever lasting gratitude, a stick of gum and a six pack of natty light? Takers?

The Frymarker
09-08-2004, 02:37 AM
Some where around there, I am going to order some engraving bits sometime this week. I'll have some news shortly!!

The Frymarker
09-14-2004, 04:27 AM
Well I tried everything, this particular grade of aluminum is too hard. The motor on the mill isn't strong enough to take it.......sorry guys :( :( :(

thecavemankevin
09-14-2004, 07:03 AM
oh well, good try :(

The Frymarker
09-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Yeah sorry about that, it is reeking havoc on the motor and I figured better to stop before I have to have the motor replaced and the machine recalibrated.