PDA

View Full Version : Machine Shop Shopping!

1ofkind
08-18-2004, 07:53 PM
So, what does it involve to go to a machine shop for custom milling jobs?

WenULiVeUdiE
08-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Lathe, Vertical Mill, if you have the money, a CNC machine. Drill press, Mig/Tig welder( you never know), belt sander. Or you could just use a dremel, but that's not as much fun or as expensive.

1ofkind
08-18-2004, 07:59 PM
What do those costs? :D

luke
08-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Lathe, Vertical Mill, if you have the money, a CNC machine. Drill press, Mig/Tig welder( you never know), belt sander. Or you could just use a dremel, but that's not as much fun or as expensive.

I don't think he was asking what it takes setup a machine shop, but rather what information you need when you inquire about work...

1ofkind, simply tell them what you want to do.

What work do you want done?

1ofkind
08-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Hmm I'm not sure,\ maybe draw a sketch, and be like bam I was this! But anyway is it possible for me to mill stuff myself?

-=Squid=-
08-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Hmm I'm not sure,\ maybe draw a sketch, and be like bam I was this! But anyway is it possible for me to mill stuff myself?
With an in debth education in the field, and a disgusting ammount of money, yes.

luke
08-19-2004, 08:46 AM

You are using the term "mill" loosely. There are a lot of definitions for the word "mill" but in paintball, the term generally means machining WITH a mill.

You can cut, grind, file, sand, drimal, and buff a piece of aluminum, but it's not really "milling".

Here's a picture of the "Mill" I have. It's not CnC (cumputer-numeric-control or code) I can only do straight forward "old school milling but it's still fun.

Hope this helps... :)

ojhspyro89
08-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Dude i dont think' you want to buy a mill. You probably wouldnt be able to eat or paintball for a long time. Used ones are around 6 grand for little tiny offbrands.

AGDlover
08-19-2004, 10:51 AM
you can buy a small, low end vert mill for around 300 at www.harborfreight.com

tony3
08-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Then after you spend 300 you realize how you need a better one, since this 300 dollar one doesn't have a lot of power/features.

brianlojeck
08-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Harbor freight is a great store for cheap tools, but they don't exactly make high quality stuff. I wouldn't buy anything much more technically complicated then a pair of pliers, or a circular saw there.

But, that's just me...

RRfireblade
08-19-2004, 05:11 PM
Then after you spend 300 you realize how you need a better one, since this 300 dollar one doesn't have a lot of power/features.

That's not even the real issue.

The 'REAL' issue is after you buy a mill........

You need fixures and clamps and a good variety of bits and cutters and a good set of parallels and perhaps a nice rotary fixture mount and various jaws including but not limited to soft jaws and other items similar for working on 'finished' item and don't forget...........................................

/takes a deep breath/

Well......get to that point and then I'll tell you what else you need. ;)