PDA

View Full Version : So I ordered a Viking...

afultz075
08-19-2004, 06:58 PM
I've always wanted one of these guns mainly due to their super efficiency/low pressure operation and since the only sources of HPA around here are private scubas and the 5 scubas the pro-shop has, so crappy fills are common, a major drawback for being a mag owner. So here's what I got from dbnpaintball.com:
'04 Unmilled Viking w/ Pandora, eyes, gun lube, gun bag, etc.
Bedlam 25g Switch
Mitey Max volumizer
Black Razor Trigger
-$1007

Should be here in a week, I can't wait! Now I just have to decide when i'm going to use this or my E-Mag.

Anyone shoot one of these before? What's the trigger similar to? I've watched some videos of these and they look insane.

Also, what's the average break-in time for them? I want to get it broken in before World Record Game.

tru_flip56
08-19-2004, 07:07 PM
yeah, i had a viking but i sold it...mine was 2k3 with eyes but i personally liked my angel so i used it as a backup gun... But if this is your type of gun, believe me....youll LOVE it...its so easy to walk the trigger and it shoots strings....the only reason why i sold it is because i have a progect to make my LCD into a killing machine and now that i have the money to do it....

Blazestorm
08-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Vikings are nice, the trigger is very adjustable (I love the one I tuned... wish my borg had that kinda trigger...) :D

Steelrat
08-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Congrats!

I've been an AKA shooter for a while now. Chances are, the emag will sit in your bag, especially due to the efficiency disparity.

Now, I must warn you, the trigger will SUCK out of the bag. Here is how to fix it:

-Remove the trigger spring
-flip the microswitch
-adjust the rear stopto shorten the trigger pull

The only catch is that the lighter microswitch is too light to return the trigger with this setup. I run all my AKA triggers this way, except I use the STOCK microswitch. I advise using the stock and saving your money.

With that setup, it will fly...

PM me if you have viking questions. And did you ever see the vid Z-man and I made of my viking doing 31 bps? ;)

tru_flip56
08-19-2004, 11:40 PM
i never knew the vikings could reach that high? Can you give a link so i can watch it?

afultz075
08-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Well, I already ordered it with the Bedlam switch, but i'm sure the stock will be included if I don't like the Bedlam. I ordered it from an AKA master tech, and the extra goodies I order are installed for free, so I don't know if he'll set up the trigger decently or not.

How hard is it to get to the switch inside the gun? Since this is a totally different design than what i'm used to, i'm a little intimidated at taking it apart.

Steelrat
08-19-2004, 11:45 PM
It can go faster, I just need to up the lpr a lil more. That was stock settings except for debounce.

Videos are on this page:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143483

afultz075
08-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Also, is there a guide for the settings of the Pandora somewhere online? How does Pandora compare to WAS?

Steelrat
08-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Well, I already ordered it with the Bedlam switch, but i'm sure the stock will be included if I don't like the Bedlam. I ordered it from an AKA master tech, and the extra goodies I order are installed for free, so I don't know if he'll set up the trigger decently or not.

How hard is it to get to the switch inside the gun? Since this is a totally different design than what i'm used to, i'm a little intimidated at taking it apart.

Everytime I ordered a gun from DBN or OTE, they didnt include the stock parts if I got upgraded parts. Contact him and ask for the stock switch to be included. The bedlam probably wont be able to supply adequate return force for a springless trigger.

Dan is a master tech, but every gun I have ordered from him or Chris at OTE (the other master tech) has come with the same crap trigger setup. Just the nature of things.

Switch isnt hard to change, you just remove the gripframe, then take the tray off, knock two pins out, flip it, reassemble. I can provide a very detailed explanation if you need it.

BTW, this is MY baby ;) Welcome to the family!

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/mcalhaney/P8090032.JPG

Steelrat
08-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Pandora manual, in Acrobat:

http://www.akalmp.com/TechDocs/interim_pandora_board_manual.pdf

Pandora is a fine board, but I prefer the WAS because i think its easier to program. Its not worth replacing the WAS with a pandora, but in a new gun pandora is great to have.

afultz075
08-19-2004, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the Pandora manual. What do you mean by tray? and what are the pins?

So basically, for the bedlam switch, I can just flip it, but keep the spring?

Steelrat
08-20-2004, 12:08 AM
If you look at the picture of my excal, you can see the three main components, from the bottom up. First, there is the "grip frame" which is essentially the .45 grip. On top of the grip frame, there is the "tray." If you look, the tray has the on/off switch and black dataport plate on it. Finally, above the tray is the "body"

Now, you can remove the frame and tray from the body by removing two allen screws located at the front and back of the tray/frame assembly. Once it comes off, you then remove the screw that hold the frame and tray together. Once you do that, you can access the microswitch, which resides in the grip frame, directly behind the trigger.

To remove the microswitch, you have to remove the grip panels. Once you take them off, you can see the two small pins holding the switch in. I use a pin punch to knock out the two pins. You then flip the switch upside down, and reassemble. You can tell which way it is by the feel. Stock setup feels "clicky." Flipped is a lot lighter, with almost no click.

You can run bedlam with the spring, but having tried numerous trigger setups, I can honestly say that setup is far from the best. Some might like it, but the majority prefer flipped stock switch, razor trigger, no spring.

afultz075
08-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Great, doesn't seem too terribly complicated, any wires I should watch out for when I put the grip/tray and body apart?

When you mean crap stock trigger setup, do you just mean how the switch is set up or that the trigger length itself doesn't feel right?

I just emailed Dan and told him to not install the Bedlam, but I want it included anyway so I can try both, it was only $11 afterall.

Steelrat
08-20-2004, 12:20 AM
By crap, i mean:

-Its heavy due to the spring
-Switch is clicky
-pull is too long

Just watch the wires, you dont want to pull them out. They are durable, but dont work them too hard. but there is enough slack in them to do the job.

afultz075
08-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Ok, and finally, how is the trigger pull adjusted and how do I take the spring out?

afultz075
08-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Also, I know on the switch, there's a little reed looking thing on it that sort of sticks out, so by flipping the switch do you mean changing the direction in which that reed faces up. Sorry if that sounds confusing.

Steelrat
08-20-2004, 12:43 AM
I mean changing whether its oriented like this:

l\
l.\
l..\

Or this:

l../
l./
l/

I just forget which is good and which is bad, ill have to look later.

afultz075
08-20-2004, 12:47 AM
Ahh, I see. Let me know which way is flipped or not.

Looking through the Pandora manual, it seems, well, confusing, but i'm sure it's nothing I can't figure out by studying it a bit more.

Generally speaking, is there any settings on the board that need to be changed before using it, like dwell and ROF and whatnot?

O_o
08-20-2004, 01:22 AM
Yet another AKA gun eh Steelrat ?

What kind is that anyways ? Looks like a highlander but without the swoosh milling.

Steelrat
08-20-2004, 01:45 AM
Its an 04 featherlite excalibur. I just dumped my ND timmy, and im done with my gun whorish ways. For now ;)

afultz075
08-20-2004, 01:50 AM
Where is the trigger spring located? I just found a nice guide to adjusting the trigger and it doesn't mention it. So I take it the firing point will need re adjusted as you shorten the pull?

shadowfalcon78
08-20-2004, 01:51 AM
wow, i love that featherlite. gotta play with it on ao day, eh? ;)

spacedtedybear
08-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Its an 04 featherlite viking. I just dumped my ND timmy, and im done with my gun whorish ways. For now
Famous last words. :D

lord1234
08-20-2004, 10:51 AM
he sure did dump it....on me! Can't wait to pick it up...

btw...i am a scammer:)

flyinasian016
08-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Steelrat, i gotta question for you.

I just got my vike last week, and i used it on sunday and when i wa over the chrono it was mad incosistant. It was shooting like 250-270-263. What can i do to fix that? Its an 03 WAS'd/ACE'd Vike with Sidewinder.

Also, i have a choice between SCM-2 and MM, which should i get first?

Steelrat
08-20-2004, 12:04 PM
My AKA guns are consistent, but people who tell you they always get +/-3 are lying, there are too many variables for that.

-What kind of paint were you shooting, fresh good stuff or older/cheaper stuff? Paint can affect consistency dramatically.
-Try changing the battery
-Sidewinder may need to be rebuilt.
-Lube the crap out of it. Never hurts.
-Make sure your air fitting on the sidewinder isnt screwed in too tight. The swivel ring should rotate without too much effort.

As for the SCM-2 and the MM, neither is truly necessary. Id say the SCM-2, just because it will only help consistency. The MM will very slightly help efficiency, and will slightly reduce kick. With the stock LPR and no MM, the gun will kick butt. Just make sure you have a trigger setup you like.

ilikePB
08-20-2004, 04:45 PM
I have the Bedlam switch and love it. I tried the flipped stock switch with no spring and didn't like it as much as the Bedlam with spring, but that is all prefrence. Also, between a MM and SCM I would go MM. I put a MM on my Vike and it made a very noticable reduction in kick. My stock LPR works fine so I see no need to replace it with the SCM. I love my Viking, you will not be disappointed.
Vikings :headbang: .

Oh yeah, another thing to think about, if you like the feel of a Trix trigger you can get a Trix frame mod'd to fit the Viking. I just bought one and love it.

afultz075
08-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Ok, i'm getting both switches, so i'll have to try both, did you flip your Bedlam?

digitard
08-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Yeah a friend of mine is an AKA tech and he had done some trigger work on the marker before I picked it up.

Its a 03' w/ updated WAS, eyes, covers, ccm, dye 3 stickies, cp pro kit and so forth. 1/2 milled. I cant wait to get a MM for it.

Lightening the trigger like mentioned makes a world of difference. My trigger clicks with just the smallest touch, but it never bounces. I love it.

GT
08-20-2004, 07:19 PM
you guys can still get new viks. buy soon before there gone....

paint magnet
08-20-2004, 08:39 PM
I've got an older Viking (#582, I think someone on AO actually has #583), it's blind with the Nelson 30.3 bps board and it rips. I bought it used though, so I can't speak for the break in period (all I know is turn the bolt around and shoot it a lot).

I know you'll love it. But please, at least go play with it before you start changing things :)

ilikePB
08-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Ok, i'm getting both switches, so i'll have to try both, did you flip your Bedlam?
I have actually not even tried flipping my Bedlam switch. I have it the normal way, it is perfect for me.

afultz075
08-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Ok, did you keep the spring the normal length?

ilikePB
08-20-2004, 10:03 PM
Ok, did you keep the spring the normal length?
Yeah.

afultz075
08-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Alright, do you have any bounce problems with that setup? What's your debounce at?

ilikePB
08-20-2004, 10:12 PM
I can set it at db2 and it doesn't have a lot of bounce, at db3 I have never gotten pulled for bounce. Also, my pull is very short, the activation is at the beginning with a little slack after.

edit: At db1 I get 2 or 3 shots per trigger pull.

Steelrat
08-21-2004, 01:34 AM
Try it with the spring and light switch, and with no spring and the stock switch. The reason you dont have to flip the light switch is that, well, its light. The easiest way to prevent bounce is to ensure you have a lil slack in the trigger, and the activation is towards the back half of the pull.