PDA

View Full Version : I need an opinion.

sharpshooter1286
08-21-2004, 12:53 PM
I was gonna buy a TES for 150, then my mom was like you need to spend that money on books, then I tried to explain to her why I wanted it and stuff. Then she says fine, get it, but its a waste of money. So I need your opinion. Do I spend 150 on a gun, and not have alot of money left in my bank account for other stuff, or do I just keep renting a gun each time. Keep in mind that I dont go very often, once in a while, and the rentals now are decent, its 98's with nitro, and you're able to rent a better barrel so it shoots decently straight. I was able to play to the best of my ability with a rental, would i want to spend 150 on a gun?

felony
08-21-2004, 01:01 PM
If you get a gun, I would get a job.

If you dont get a gun, I would get a job.

If too young to get a job, do some yard work, or something around the house for money.

Of course you want a gun, and if you feel it is a reasonable buy (no matter what your mother says) I would go for it.

Its up to you in the end (as all decisions are) whether or not you will be kicking yourself in the butt later is up to you.

dan

slade
08-21-2004, 01:39 PM
ive heard that there are a lot of problems with the tes, and for that matter all of draguns markers. id recomend saving up and buying a better gun. or you could just keep using the rentals, but that may actually be more expensive in the long run.

warbeak2099
08-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Rentals do tend to become more expensive in the long run. Owning your own equipment is a much more sound fiscal decsion if you are looking to get into paintball. If you only play a couple times a year then renting is fine. But if you play a few times a month or maybe evn once a week then saving up for your own gear is a smart choice. However, do not purchase a marker first. Your first purchase you should make is a good goggle system. Shop for a mask and goggle system that fits you best and is comfortable to you. Then purchase a marker, tank and loader. Your mask is the most important peice of your equipment though. I've heard a lot of good about the spyder clone Draguns. They're fast and pretty decent markers. I've also had the pleasure of shooting one at my local field. They're decent guns. Now remember, $150 is just the marker. You're going to need a tank, loader and as stated before good quality mask/goggle system. Here's what those peices of equipment would generally cost:

1) Dragun TES = $150
2) 20oz Co2 tank = $20
3) 10-12bps Motorized Loader = $25-40
4) Thermal Goggles = $30-40
Total = $225-250

Save up about $250 and then shop for some good gear. Here's a suggestion I've come up with that you might want to consider if you really don't play that much:

1) Kingman Spyder '04 Imagine = $120 (http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=t3juff-k0fjuNr6DLeQu1fUCv1UrtGSm2es=?ProductID=cxCsFAY7oF EAAAD8I2CLdpVV)
2) JT USA Spectra Thermal Goggles = $35 (http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=t3juff-k0fjuNr6DLeQu1fUCv1UrtGSm2es=?ProductID=EL%2esFAY7 cyAAAAD30kalA_2t)
3) PE 20oz Co2 Tank = $20 (http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=t3juff-k0fjuNr6DLeQu1fUCv1UrtGSm2es=?ProductID=wVasFAY702 cAAAD3YFmlA_2t)
4) Extreme Rage 9v Overdrive Loader = $25 (http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=t3juff-k0fjuNr6DLeQu1fUCv1UrtGSm2es=?ProductID=GR2sFAY7rU 8AAAD8GfiVkciX)
5) Kingman Wall Battery Charger = $20 (http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=t3juff-k0fjuNr6DLeQu1fUCv1UrtGSm2es=?ProductID=NsisFAY7DH YAAAD3fuSlA_2s)
Total = 220

You'd also have to buy two rechargeable 9v batteries, one for the gun and one for the hopper. Just a suggestion of a cheaper way to get into the sport. Show this info to your mother and discuss it with her in a rational and respectful manner. You should always respect your parents no matter how their decisions might seem to you. Doing so will probably show them that you are a responsible young man/woman and are ready to make such a decision as purchasing this equipment. So, I wish you the best of luck and welcome to our great sport. Have fun and keep those goggles on!

sharpshooter1286
08-21-2004, 03:04 PM
woah, i've actually been paintballing since i was like 9, i have a egg 2, a nitro tank, and a dye invision, i just dont have a whole lot of money. im 15, and will probably be getting a job soon, i was just wondering what you guys think i should do.

Bob_da_Splatman
08-21-2004, 03:19 PM
somr time ago i was looking for a tes package for a friend and found one with a gear bag goggles hopper and gloves for 175.00 I thought it was iisports but i just looked and its not there but its somewhere... :confused:

sabrefanpc
08-21-2004, 04:43 PM
with what you have, the next step is deffinately a gun if you want to really get into it. We cant really say if you should or shouldnt get it, we dont know all the details of your financial situation. Im a poor kid and all, but I can still save up for stuff. When facing tuition bills next year of up to 40k a year :wow: :cry: for georgetown if i get in, spending 100 bucks on a gun doesnt seem like that much anymore, but if you think about it, thats a few weeks of food or half of a used textbook...

aw hell id get a gun and starve for a week but then I am not YOU

warbeak2099
08-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Oh, well then I didn't know you already had equipment. In that case, go for the TES. Sounds like a good deal.

1ofkind
08-21-2004, 10:41 PM
TES is a great marker, needs some cheap custom work but nothing hard.

I say if you play paintball atleast once every 4 weeks get the TES.
You'll need to find a way to get a 50 gram ESP switch though, wit that you'll be walking around 8 - 14 bps, then probably 16 - 20bps by the end of the year or much sooner if you pratice.

Also TES works on pretty low pressure & shoot straight plus you'll getaway with a 3000psi 45ci steel tank. :cheers:

meshaq
08-21-2004, 10:47 PM
save up some more money and buy a better gun. my field owner has had to send multiple "The Ones" and TESs back to dragun. She said that her wholesaler got a whole skid of guns from dragun with the same problem. if you want a fast spyder type gun, then get an e-spyder and get a t board for it.

MasonFootball89
08-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Hey okay if you want a gun that youll love out of the box I really sugest a tippy. I mean I have the dragun and Ive had it for a year and it is BROKEN.

1ofkind
08-22-2004, 11:37 AM
A tippy... eewwww

OysterBoy
08-22-2004, 11:45 AM
I second the tippmann idea, just stay away from the flatline.

They are good reliable guns, able to give enough fire power (Keyword: ENOUGH) and are built like rocks. Dont let anyone get you down if you own a tippmann, if it shoots straight enough thats all that matters.

felony
08-22-2004, 12:22 PM
A tippy... eewwww

at leaset its not a timmy :tard: :tard: :tard:

toymyster
08-22-2004, 12:30 PM
If you get a gun, I would get a job.

If you dont get a gun, I would get a job.

If too young to get a job, do some yard work, or something around the house for money.

Of course you want a gun, and if you feel it is a reasonable buy (no matter what your mother says) I would go for it.

Its up to you in the end (as all decisions are) whether or not you will be kicking yourself in the butt later is up to you.

dan

I concur wholehartedly!!!
And If you are getting a gun, stay away from TES, I haven't heard anything positive about it!!! I will have to go with the Tippy idea also, stay away from all the upgrades, just a basic tippmann with a decent barrel!!! Play, enjoy, and work on your skills!!!!

sharpshooter1286
08-22-2004, 06:22 PM
a tippmann was my first gun, and my second gun, and then i got a mag, and had to sell all of them, but now i dont play as often at all, and i just want a semi decent gun that i can play and have fun and not worry about. i was looking at the spyder imagine 04, because i know how to maintain a spyder (brother had one, fixed it for him) and i dont really need any fancy bells and whistles.

1ofkind
08-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Pump gungs are really fun man, maybe a pgp pump pistle. Its so much fun in woods and speedball courses playing with that. After while you will actually get pretty good with them and use maybe 200 rnds a day.

Slider3
08-23-2004, 12:34 AM
It definately depends on how often you play.

You can think about a cheap electro... like everyone else has said, i think a spyder is the way to go with that. I havent heard great things about the TES's either.

The Tippman 98 is definately a good call. That was my first real marker, and i loved that thing. I still have it and use it when i can, just for old times sake, and trust me, she'll never be outdated. I did put a few upgrades on it. Nothin huge just a few things that i got cheap wholesale. The most expesive upgrade i did was a vertical adapter with expansion (but that was just for CO2). The most important upgrade was a better barrel. I get a 32 degrees whisper barrel, and maybe I was just lucky all the time, but I swear that thing shot straight as a arrow. I have since upgraded by a modest degree, but that setup lasted me a long time, and I even played at the IAO with it.... :rolleyes: I held my own on the speedball field...

SpecialBlend2786
08-23-2004, 12:37 AM
get an ACI Hornet if you're going pump. Nice, cheap, great quality.

MasonFootball89
08-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Hey Im gonna post again and umm dude dont get the dragun Im trying to get mine to wrok right now and I think throwing it at the ground might have just broken it for good.

Your going to love it at first and then itll break(for good)

Get a tippman for outdoor
or a spider for indoor.

Also I just wanted to tell you that I have and angel LCD with angel air and I just bought my first tippman because I need a gun that will always work when I need it.

Also I dropped one of my old friends tippmans in a lake and dived for it and got it. Everyone came to the side of the boat to check it out and I came out of the water shooting.
Believe me tippmans are the most durable guns ever.

Tippman- Like a rock

1ofkind
08-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Tippman- Like a rock
:rofl:
Nice story :clap:
The thing is this guy owned a tippy already, and they are also the rental guns so he wants to stay away fom a 98.

Chris42050
08-23-2004, 12:50 PM
Get an A-5. Much better than a dragun. :ninja:

68magOwner
08-23-2004, 01:50 PM
dont get a gun that you cant afford to play with, even if its only $150, if that leaves you with little money, and therefore you cant play, then don't do it.

side note- 3 of 4 TES's at the field on saturday didnt work (including my lil bro's) the proshop (who had fixed one earler, the one working one) said that all they do is change an oring in the reg or something and it works, but they had fixed alot and were out of the part. Dosent sound like a huge deal, but, still a nusance. But the one that did work ripped for the price