PDA

View Full Version : Aurora "Anno"

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Hey guys, i was jw what places do the aurora "anno" to guns. Im thinkin about havin my project gun done in that but i have no idea who does it and what the cost would be. Any help would be great, thanks.

Flow_Tech
08-21-2004, 02:12 PM
i think all it is is chrome plating with a thin coat of dupont multicolor paint mixed in,but i may be wrong.

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Actually like frymarker said in the other frame about this, electricity or somethin is run through the aluminum and changes the color. I just need to know how much it will cost and where i can get it done at.

At least thats what i think, but i may be wrong lol. I just need a sure answer and stuff.

slade
08-21-2004, 02:33 PM
if you re-read the other thread, you will see that frymarker said that TITANIUM, not aluminum, does this when a high voltage flows through it. so if that is correct, you cannot get this done to most guns (unless you want to plate them in titanium, if that is possible).

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-21-2004, 02:36 PM
Then the guy in that other thread must have had it annoed like that. I still need to know who does it and how much it will cost.

Creative Mayhem
08-21-2004, 02:38 PM
AGD has a Extreme mag anno'd similar to that... cnat remember how its done though.

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Sweet. I really wanna get my project mag done like that so i need to know who does it.

Thordic
You use electricity to "burn" the metal. You can do it with aluminum I believe.

Contact an anno shop like PK. If they can't do it themselves, I'm sure they know who can.

FragTek
I'm sure MAX Ano can do it.... call em up and ask em, they can do anything.

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Whats PK site?

Yeah i was thinkin about askin Max anno if they could do it.

Bob_da_Splatman
08-21-2004, 02:46 PM
And if you read on thread later i t stated that the frame was chrome plated not titanium at all.
and i think the compony that produced the product would know best... it also stated that i took an average of nine frames to produce a usable product so it might be a little risky

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Nine frames, jeesh that kinda sucks. Well if its that risky with usin electicity maybe there is a way to anno it like that without risking messin my mag up.

Flow_Tech
08-21-2004, 03:16 PM
ok,i got an official answer from WWA,he says that it is Chrome/Nickle plating that is shocked by a certain amount of electricity..
he also says PK WILL NOT do this,and that he does not know of anymore..hope this helps.

magmonkey
08-21-2004, 03:26 PM
the finsih you are looking for is PVD Physical Vapor Deposition, it is not anodizing

it is electricly vaporized Titainum, very thin and very hard coating, the only problem is you cannot apply it directly to aluminum, it needs to be nickel plated first, and in order for the aluminum to be nickel plated it must be first copper struck, in between ALL the steps , the aluminum must be PERFECTLY cleaned or you will end up with blistering or layered plating that will peel..
there is a shop in rhode island that will do it, but it costs ALOT, and the chances of plating failure is very high, it would be more suited for somthing like a stainless mag body

Alan
DC

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-21-2004, 03:50 PM
ok, thanks for all the help guys. I guess im not gonna be gettin that anno. I suppose ill jsut go with an acid wash instead. Anyone have any pictures or suggestions on acid wash colors?

pumaking
08-21-2004, 05:28 PM
I'm the one who currently owns the 2 Auroras and I've spoken to several people from Eclipse concerning the Aurora plating. Here is what it is. To begin with no its not titanium or anything like that MagMonkey not trying to say your wrong or anything but Eclipse didnt use that method they actually came up with there own method on how to do it. Anyways the bodies are first plated with Nickel b/c you cant just chrome plate aluminum, than its plated with Chrome. After that has been done the gun is put into a Special Chamber where the gun acts like a lightning rod and 20,000 Volts of Electricity is ran through the gun and leaves the special plating you see now. After all this is done then a special layer of protection is added, Eclipse wouldnt tell me what it is but its to help prevent any chipping or peeling. The plating is actually extremly durable despite what some people believe. As for who does it at this moment No company will do it b/c it costs to much and is extremly dangerous. Eclipse stated that when they made the Auroras they went through 9 bodies to get 1 good one, they also stated that it costed them over $1700 for one good one b/c of the bodies they had to destroy. So hopefully this might of cleared things up.

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-21-2004, 05:40 PM
Yeah, i know that like no one does it so im gonna get my gun acid washed. If ya have any pics or suggestions on acid washing please leave a post in my thread i made for it. Thanks and nice cockers.

personman
08-21-2004, 06:33 PM
AGD has a Extreme mag anno'd similar to that... cnat remember how its done though.
Yeah, everyone thought it looked gay, but I still think it looks amazing :cool:
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5111&stc=1
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5110&stc=1

Thermus
08-21-2004, 06:35 PM
That mag would be better if the frame was annoed like that as well, but it doesn't flow like the cocker ones in the other thread.

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-21-2004, 06:36 PM
I really like it and it is very unique. I woulda loved to have my project mag done like that but i found another awesome color i think im gonna do. I with it wasnt so expensive and risky to do aurora.

Your right about the mag thermus, it doesnt flow near as well as the cockers.

sneakyhacker420
08-21-2004, 11:00 PM
if the x-mag was a CNC one... i'd cream my pants

but its not... so yea... my pants are still cream free

Flow_Tech
08-21-2004, 11:02 PM
that Xmag..is..more ugly,then ..a fatgirl who sits in a tub..

teufelhunden
08-22-2004, 12:29 AM
that x-mag sucks.

the non cnc x-mag bodies are abominations, and on top of that, you can't have that sick of a color scheme without doing the entire thing.. if you're gonna drop the change to do the body, do the rest, because nothing looks good when you put it next to the aurora.

the cockers in the other thread look sick cuz of how well they were done though.

The Frymarker
08-22-2004, 01:59 AM
You can like magmonkey said achieve the same affect with Titanium plate. However the aluminum first needs to be nickel plated, and there are a few processes before aluminum can be nickel plated.

Aluminum and Titanium are the only metals that can be anodized. Titanium can change color on it's own by varying the currents of electricity.

Like I stated before, they do this a lot with bike frames. You can also use stop off to mask certain areas you don't want anodized.

Whether Eclipse does it this way I do not know, however this is one way it can be done. I did some research on it when I was going to do anodizing.

The finish also doesn't change in light, it is permanently the colors you see, it may appear that it does looking at it from different angles.

If you wanted the colors to change, I suggest using a color changing enamel. Those can be very expensive, for high quality. Some custom paints in that range go for $300 a pint. I use to work with autobody people!

Hope this helps.