PDA

View Full Version : Why is my stock ASA breaking o-rings?

TheShark
08-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Every time I screw the tank into the stock ASA, at the moment the air begins to flow, the o-ring pops and air starts leaking. I put on a duckbill from another gun and it works fine. Only problem is the tank wont fit on the dropforward + duckbill, it misses clearance by like a centimeter. So I can't play tomorrow because my GD STOCK ASA tears o-rings. And I know this is not an isolated problem. I guess I'm just a little frustrated when I read here for weeks about the quality products AGD makes. Well I love my gun, and I do believe it is a quality product, but I cant believe they let something like this persist. :mad:

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-21-2004, 04:12 PM
The threads on the ASA are prob sharp and are cutting the orings up when ya screw the tank in. Your best bet is to buy a new ASA.

luke
08-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Try putting some oil on the o-ring before you screw in the tank....

TheShark
08-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Yea tried that.. no luck

fire1811
08-21-2004, 04:20 PM
try putting a oring in the bottom of the asa.

or possible run a file in a circle around the threads to get the edge off them. dont take to much off.

Carbon
08-21-2004, 04:26 PM
there are several things you can do.

Lube you tank o ring and threads.
Lube the ASA threads
and drop an o-ring i, the asa

penguinpunk555
08-21-2004, 04:44 PM
AGD's ASAs suck. www.paintballgear.com has a wide selection.

FragTek
08-21-2004, 05:49 PM
AGD's ASAs suck. www.paintballgear.com has a wide selection.

They more than suck... I've never had anyone not complain at the stock AGD ASA... They're so damn sharp they slice right through tank o-rings. Switch ur ASA out ASAP.

RRfireblade
08-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Using a dremel tool or the like,shorten the pin in the center of the ASA. Go a little at a time,you should be able to get it so it depresses the valve pin on the tank just after the o-ring starts to seal.

It's not the threads,if the tank starts to release pressure before the o-ring is in the seat,it will cut the o-ring....on any ASA.

sneakyhacker420
08-21-2004, 10:45 PM
atleast AGD uses a correct tap that leaves nice, crisp edges ;)

but yea, my PMI asa always did that to me, just get a new one... and while you're at it, pick up an on/off ASA, that will ensure long o-ring life

Koosh
08-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Another reason why tank orings get sliced is when you don't unscrew the tank fully...

If you unscrew it half way, and it just depressurizes the gun, then screw it back in you'll slice the oring. Whenever your unscrew a tank, unscrew it ALL THE WAY before putting it back on.

TheShark
08-22-2004, 02:43 AM
Just got home from work, tried the o-ring in the ASA, and it sealed! WoohoO time to get some sleep, I'm breaking in my mag tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

gc82000
08-22-2004, 05:06 AM
rock well then.

B.A.M.
08-22-2004, 07:21 AM
The same thing happend to my gun. The extra o-ring worked for a while but it didnt hold up for long. I took it to my local pro shop and they put a new one on and now my gun rips

TheShark
08-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Yea the extra o-ring in the asa definately isn't a permanent solution... The tank o-ring still gets ripped when you unscrew the tank... I'm going to try sanding the threads in a bit here.. if that doesn't work I'll dremel the pin down a bit. I don't really have anything to lose, If this wont' fix it I'll probably be buying a new drop/on/off.. trying to avoid that :cool:

B.A.M.
08-24-2004, 07:06 AM
id just get a new on off it cost me like 30 for a new asa and labor to save u all the time

TheShark
08-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Well sanding the threads didn't work, so I just taped some sandpaper on a pencil and sanded down the pin a bit. It actually ground down pretty quick... its sealing perfectly now. :clap: :headbang:

RRfireblade
08-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Well sanding the threads didn't work, so I just taped some sandpaper on a pencil and sanded down the pin a bit. It actually ground down pretty quick... its sealing perfectly now. :clap: :headbang:

Just listen to me from now on. :D

Glad it worked out for you. :clap:

Jay.

SniperSmurf
08-28-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm having a similar problem with the stock AGD ASA, not with cutting o-rings, but with leaks (which lead to cut o-rings). I couldn't unscrew my tank more than 1/8 of a turn before it started venting, but any less and I couldn't de-pressurize the marker (still getting full air). Weird. The o-ring in the ASA will let me use a bottle on the gun without much problem, but it still will not work with any remote I've tried (3 different brands). I'll have to try that trick about sanding down the pin. Thanks for the advice! I've got Uni-mounts on both my RTs, and I love them, but my classic valve Mags I use for rec ball both have stock ASAs. Too bad, since that's when I like to run a remote. Guess I'll just have to spring for a couple more Unis if this sanding thing doesn't work out... Of course, this won't solve my remote problem since it doesn't even use the pin, but at least I can get that o-ring out of there.

tyrion2323
08-28-2004, 10:30 PM
If you're looking for a Unimount, contact me.