PDA

View Full Version : Pumps or Semis

MasonFootball89
08-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Ok I was watching webdogradio.us and he said that it wasnt true that pumps are more accurate but I always thought that they were?

teufelhunden
08-22-2004, 10:23 AM
In a vice, I don't think either one is inherently more accurate. However, in your hands, the pump may be easier to shoot more accurately, for a couple reasons. 1, you know you have 1 shot and you better hit it. So you take your time aiming. and 2, you don't have the internals of the marker immeadieatly [bah, sp] cycling, so it's not moving around the marker. even if you're trying to autotrigger or something, no matter what you're going to be slow enough that the ball will be clear of the barrel before you begin to move the gun around to recock.

OysterBoy
08-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Odd thread title..

anyways, they may be more accurate, I've heard that CCI has some of the best stock barrels, but I think it may have more to do with the fact pumpers aim and seemingly just snap out a player like that. Its really just alot of practice, being able to snap out, sight a target, splat and snap back in is what its about. Also with Phantoms the Detent ring set can help ensure a good 'entry bore', which may help.

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Accuracy is paint to barrel match. It seem like pumps are more accurate because they dont take as many shots and try to make them good shots where as semi autos unload a lot and dont always hit anything.

personman
08-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Heres my theory.. It makes sense to me, may not make sense to others though.
When shooting semi auto you are generally shooting 6-however many bps. Every paintball is shaped different and has a different flight pattern, so you are seeing 'inaccuracy'. With a pump, you are shooting a single paintball at a time, and usually only 1 ball is in the air at the same time. Therefore you have nothing to compare it to. If you took a pump and put an electric frame to cock it every time you fired (IE autococker) you would see the same 'inaccuracy' as you would with a normal semi.
Its an illusion. :)
I think it has to do with how many balls are in the air at a time.
I dont know, that's just what I've gathered. I own a phantom and I have to admit, it does seem to be more accurate. I dont believe that it is though.

MasonFootball89
08-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Ok how much is a good pump gun? I couldnt think that they are very much seeing as though its kind of a lost sport (in my thoughts). Also can you use a pump gun on a field with semi abutomatics or is that not aloud?

Adrenaline_Junkie
08-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Im not sure how much a good phantom costs but im guessin around a 200-300. Yes pumps are allowed on fields with semis unless the field has some crazy thing against pumps lol.

1ofkind
08-22-2004, 11:18 AM
I dont notice the differance sometimes ;)

OysterBoy
08-22-2004, 11:36 AM
UHm.. what?

Why is there a wink there? Once again I have to ask you to explain what you meant, that barely makes sense.

'Words come out, but nothing is said'

Anyways, I HAVE heard of field banning pumps, or sometimes reducing the fps by 20 of what the semis are allowed. Why? My only guess is the field proprietor wants his customers to be paint flingers which means more cash for him. And as for phantom prices, 200 - 300 is actually about the range for stock phantoms, a great site by the way, is www.archerec.com

Also, pump class is by no means a dead sport, rather, a 'hidden' community. Similar to how we (Or, you, I'm mag-less) are a select breed of paintballers to own mags, their is an even select-er group who choose to rely on their skill. Playing pump can be one of the most rewarding, challenging, and overall fun experiences a paintballer can have. It is hard, but definatley worth it.

1ofkind
08-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Try reading the title idiot, thats what I'm replying to. Anyway stop trying to place yourself above me. Also how can something barely make sense, what the heck does that even mean? Something does make sense, or it doesn't. So you moron that infact made no sense. Now get off my back and stay away from me in your better place you annoying little anonymous brat.

OysterBoy
08-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Haha wow. Easy tike, and don't forget to take the ritalin (sp?).

See, had you read his post you'd have seen he was not asking which is better, but which is more accurate. Your comment, if applied to his actual post, would mean 'Sometimes I can't tell the difference between accuracy' which is not really saying anything at all. Thats a personal statement that really doesn't help him out at all. And if the comment was applied to his Topic title, then it would mean 'Sometimes I can't tell the difference between a semi-automatic gun and a manually cocked gun', which again, makes no sense. I'm not "on your back", I just get annoyed when I see poor grammar; must be a coincidence if I'm constantly correcting you.

1ofkind
08-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Ok I was watching webdogradio.us and he said that it wasnt true that pumps are more accurate but I always thought that they were?

Once again, I do not notice the difference. Pumps and semis are just as accurate as one another, sometimes weather condictions can effect the shape and texture of the paintball.

toymyster
08-22-2004, 01:01 PM
..... seeing as though its kind of a lost sport (in my thoughts). Also can you use a pump gun on a field with semi abutomatics or is that not aloud?

Big disagreement here!!! Pumpguns guns are if nothing, enjoying somewhat of a resurgence since many players are getting tired of spending two cases of paint in a day!!! I have noticed I am a much better shot with my Phantom, so it seems more accurate, I haven't bench tested my phantom against my E-mag, but I think the results will be similar between the two!!! But since my Phantom is much lighter, it comes to point better, so I am a better shot with it!! And yes, you can walk into a semi game with a pump!!!

eightball
08-22-2004, 02:31 PM
i've always thought pumps r more accurate because of them being closed bolt markers, wen u pump in ur move the bolt bak into the breech, ball drops, and wen the pump bak out, the bolt pushes the paint into the barrell, then fire with trigger... which is a bit more accurate than close bolt markers? corrrect me if i'm wrong ^^"

mkmckinley
08-22-2004, 03:50 PM
i've always thought pumps r more accurate because of them being closed bolt markers, wen u pump in ur move the bolt bak into the breech, ball drops, and wen the pump bak out, the bolt pushes the paint into the barrell, then fire with trigger... which is a bit more accurate than close bolt markers? corrrect me if i'm wrong ^^"

First I have to say that the overall level of communication in this thread is pretty bad. Some of you guys need to try reareading your posts and think about what you're really saying, not what you're trying to say, and then adjust accordingly.

Eightball: A semiautomatic marker also pushes the paintball into the breach before launching it. Think about it; how else would it seal the breach and keep all the gas from escaping out the feed tube? Any spin put on the ball in this action would be insufficient to significantly affect flight path.

Thermus
08-22-2004, 04:11 PM
WTF are u talking about ok I have no idea who you are

He's talking to oysterboy...

1ofkind
08-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Yeah its all good between us, honey... snuckems, booboo? Uh oh hes not buying it guys.

Anyway oysterboy replys to almost everyone of my posts annoying me. I PMed him about it and he still doesn't stop, I guess hes a mental patient in a hostiple because he is obviously crazy.

-=Squid=-
08-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Yeah its all good between us, honey... snuckems, booboo? Uh oh hes not buying it guys.

Anyway oysterboy replys to almost everyone of my posts annoying me. I PMed him about it and he still doesn't stop, I guess hes a mental patient in a hostiple because he is obviously crazy.
He even talks about your posts on MSN.

They make him groin punch himself.

1ofkind
08-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Hmm after hearing that squid, I'm worried about this guy lol So you know him?

slasherdan
08-23-2004, 10:37 AM
I actually read an article by this guy that ran an experiment. He had a Pump that he converted to a semi .... and he made sure that he could change it back.

There was no benifit to a pump over a semi. He didn't rapid fire the semi, and took a few second between each shot with each version of the marker.

Is a pump more accurate??? No ... But the pump is going to experience less "shoot" down with CO2 because it's less likely to freeze ....

And though everyone likes to say "Barrel to paint", I think it's more correct in saying "Barrel to Valve" ....

Tyger
08-23-2004, 04:30 PM
As the guy who MADE the video in the first place...

There's no difference between a pump and semi as far as accuracy goes. If you can't hit something with a semi, you're not going to hit it with a pump either. A paintball doesn't know or care what is being used to launch it, it will react the same with one style of gun to another.

That's why I filmed the video in one long shot, just to prove that it CAN be done. Accuracy is between your ears, not the hardware in your hands. :argh: Learn the skills, and it will transfer from one paintgun to the next.

-Tyger

AclowN
08-23-2004, 09:02 PM
these debates are always funny...

the reason people say pumps are more accurate is the fact that stock class players rely on their shots more, so they learn when to take the quality shots and when not to just shoot for the sake of shooting... like i have said many times to people that wonder how i got them out when rec balling, "if you want to sharpen your skills playing semi, pick up a pump for a while"

there is no difference in accuracy, pump players just learn when its the best time to take those shots that will score eliminations...

Stock class rules :)

:cheers: :cheers:

1ofkind
08-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Nice ^

slasherdan
08-24-2004, 08:28 AM

There's no difference between a pump and semi as far as accuracy goes. If you can't hit something with a semi, you're not going to hit it with a pump either. A paintball doesn't know or care what is being used to launch it, it will react the same with one style of gun to another.

That's why I filmed the video in one long shot, just to prove that it CAN be done. Accuracy is between your ears, not the hardware in your hands. :argh: Learn the skills, and it will transfer from one paintgun to the next.

-Tyger

And what's rule number four??? ;)

See you at Shatnerball Tyger .... I have a few more idea's for you to test!!!

MasonFootball89
08-25-2004, 10:34 AM

-Tyger

^^^^^^^^hes the dude from webdogradio.us wowe