PDA

View Full Version : Why the Emags battery is bigger than others

AGD
02-12-2001, 03:07 AM
Guys,

The Emag battery is larger than other electros to keep the entire system as simple as possible. All the other electros except the Hyperframe and Booya use a low pressure regulator and micro solenoids to actuate an air ram to fire the gun. The solenoids are VERY small and difficult if not impossible to fix. The addition of the regulator and air ram makes for more things to adjust and possibly go wrong.

We went another direction, in keeping with our rep. of high reliability it made more sense to get E performance with the minimum amount of extra parts. Our design uses only ONE extra moving part, that is the solenoid plunger. To our way of thinking this makes our system the easiest to debug and keep going. The penalty for the simplicity is a larger battery.

The Hyperframe and Booya use a single 9v but they get less shots per battery. There are also other issues with these designs that we chose to avoid by using a larger, rechargeable battery.

I recently posted the prototype short battery pack in response to everyone complaining about the weight of the Emag. People generally think the Emag is way heavier than the Angel when in fact with the Emag's battery removed they weigh the same. The response (as we read it) on the shorter battery pack is "make it round, weight is not an issue".

The funny thing about the battery shape is that in our original proto the battery pack WAS round. At that time everyone was complaining they couldn't anodize the gun so we made it flat for more color and billboard space. You have to understand how confusing it is for us when everyone says they want their gun to look different, but not TOO different. Colors are ok but flat front grips or Z-grips are just TOO different.

Back to the drawing board, I'll see what we can do about round front grips.

AGD

Jomm
02-12-2001, 06:20 AM
Dear Lord Tom!

You stay up to 3am thinking of these things?!? Get to bed!

About the round grip. I currently own an Emicro. Very satisified with it so far. I don't miss my F5 a bit yet. I think that the round grip is a good idea. I have a feeling this can be done without losing too much in the way of battery life (like the 20,000 shot "smaller" battery, who needs that much life anyway?).

Good luck with your new design. We'll all be waiting patiently.

Thanks,

Jom

luke
02-12-2001, 07:54 AM
I think quality out weighs looks. I would never let the looks of the battery pack get in the way of purchasing the E-Mag, but personally, I never have liked the look of the current design, neither does any of my friends. Although none of us has ever seen the gun, except in pictures. I think the round battery back would be a great option.

This post brings up a question, where do you do your surveys for player input on designs? I would love to see what's being talked about for the new aluminum body you guys are considering.

I think its great that you guys are considering improving on the looks of your
products. I read an article by AGD when the E-MAG first hit the market, I'm not sure who I'm quoting, but they said, we (AGD) just want to develop the product and let others (PTP) develop different styles. I was a little saddened by this comment, because given the opportunity and choice of options I would DEFIANTLY stick with only AGD made parts. I currently shoot a Mirco Mag 2000 and PTP have been very good to me in working out the problems on this gun, its currently "bug
free". But it seems to me the farther one strays from AGD, the farther from quality
one gets. Its not my intention to down PTP but there is a trade off when using their
products.

magc68
02-12-2001, 10:15 AM
AGD,
well i personally like the emag the way it is. the shorter battery pack dosent have enough to hold. personally dont like round grips just because the way i hold the gun so the flat emag battery pack fits me great. i would guess that people wanna see a battery back that looks more like 2 "C" batteries. one on top of the other. that is round and not to big and not to small. thats the impression i get from everyone. weight is not an issue also as u noted about guns looking diffrent. well mine is pretty diffrent. the only part on my gun that is not AGD is my damn rev. other than that i have the z grip, warp feed, flatline on my rt pro. keep up on the inovations. i like them all.

minimagmrt
02-12-2001, 01:50 PM
i just wanna say that it is awesome that the creator of our favorite marker discuses issues with the forum even though he doesn't have to. It's cool to get the explanation of AGD and see what they were thinking. I wondered about the squared grip. To my knowledge the creators of the angel and cocker don't do this.

automagnum
02-12-2001, 02:07 PM
If, the battery was made smaller, to a universal size, you could offer several foregrip frames. A round classic foregrip style, shortened flat one, and the longer flat one. That way, each person could take what they like, and annodize or powdercoat to their liking. There is your different but not to different problem solved...easier said than done I bet!! Keep up the great work! http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

Pho
02-12-2001, 02:38 PM
Roundness isnt that big an issue, just make it look better. Add finger grooves or some milling, something so it's not just a big fat void on the front of the gun.

ReTroMagBoy
02-12-2001, 03:21 PM
good thinking AGD...the flat grip is ok but a round front grip would be MUCH better. I can't imagine it being hard at all to do. Let us know how its working. Oh BTW, what pic are you talking about with a round front grip????

PyRo
02-12-2001, 03:25 PM
I think a rounded forgrip with a battery in it would be more comfortable then you could make it as long as your little heart desires. z-grip has to be the best grip ive ever held http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

thei3ug
02-12-2001, 04:11 PM
it's great that you have your own little private place to get samples of public opinion, but...

I liked my idea better.
http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif That's ok. As much as people complain, the rectanglular grip doesn't bother people as much as they'd think.

Magsrock7
02-12-2001, 07:35 PM
I agree with luke. Quality is much more important than looks. Also the z grip is a hell of an idea. I want to get one as soon as I have the money(if I can find one). I think you should make a z forgrip too. That would be optimum comfort.

------------------
Dude, Where's my mag.

magc68
02-12-2001, 07:50 PM
2000 Kapp cockers had angled vertical adapters. that fits your z- foregrip idea.

luke
02-13-2001, 10:20 AM
In my opinion the grip PTP makes is the perfect size.

CpSuPeRkId
05-29-2002, 07:19 PM
Now, Im getting the emag xtreme coming out soon, and ive seen the proto of the round grip which is nice(could use some finger grooves though), now the problem is, will i have to buy a whole new trigger frame??? will AGD make them anodized as an aftermarket thing to match the C+C xtreme colors once they are out? and finally will they be an option on the new C+C xtremes right on the gun when u buy it after they get all the other stuff worked out iwth it? If u can help with some answeres so i dont buy the xtreme and end up spending tons of money just to change it to the round foregrip, that would be great

Tunaman
05-29-2002, 08:25 PM
I like it the way it is....I say leave it alone...or just cut those slots in it like PTP does...:D

RT_Luver
05-29-2002, 08:36 PM
IF (and I EMPHASIS if) you change ANYTHING on the pack, just give it a little cooler miling or something. I personally like it he way it is as of right now.it could do with a little milling I guess, butI wouldn't go through the trouble of changing it

SlipknotX556
05-29-2002, 08:37 PM
I like the emag battery pack. Like Tunaman said the PTP emags have those cut slots on the top of the battery pack, which really looks ugly.

Kaiser Bob
05-29-2002, 08:59 PM
IMO the round battery pack ruins the look of the gun, I think it looks more 'sturdy' with the retangular pack. As for comfort, the regular pack actually fits into a hand pretty well so I dont think there is any need to change it.

Ter-Me-Nate
05-29-2002, 09:05 PM
i like it exactly how it is now

keep it the same, just sell others as upgrades, or add on's

that way poeple will feel like the have a cocker and can upgrade it lol bahahaha:D

ubooze
05-29-2002, 09:12 PM
Am I the only one who hasn't seen this SHORT battery pack?
Does anyone have a pic or link so that I may see it?

My opinion is that the C&C needs some pack that is MILLED. It just seems weird how the rest of the gun is amazing and the pack is normal

FooTemps
05-29-2002, 09:21 PM
KISS in action... I like how the emag is so simple in it's looks. I hate the complicated looks of most things now. I like simple, attractive milling/designs. Cluttered, complicated designs are usually worse imo.
I mean... look @ cars, a lot of nice designs are really simple. Then there's those rice burners(not trying to be racist towards my own people) with their overly complex and somewhat ugly ground effects and triple spoilers to ruin the whole scheme of a car.
I would just feel stupid if I had an emag with a milled battery pack... I mean, having a milling on the pack and them an SS tube would be a bit off the mark for the whole look and would make the battery pack stand too far out.

pumpamatic
05-29-2002, 10:42 PM
First thing, Foo, you would feel stupid if you had any mag, but good luck trying to get one.

Scratch that, amazing things this "search" can do.
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2510&highlight=prototype

FooTemps
05-29-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by pumpamatic
First thing, Foo, you would feel stupid if you had any mag, but good luck trying to get one.

Scratch that, amazing things this "search" can do.
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2510&highlight=prototype

No I wouldn't... I felt pretty good when I held a mag... It was better than my rental... lol

Croix71
05-29-2002, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the explanation Tom! :D