PDA

View Full Version : crossfire?

VelcroBP
08-28-2004, 07:41 AM
i'm going to make the step up to HPA. Limited budget, i'm thinking a Crossover.
what size should i get for me bone-stock 68 Classic.
i plan on piecing a great Mag together, starting with a ULE, then X-valve, then the DW hAir, and so on.
I'm going to be in the sub-$150 (for the air system, that is) range for the time being. When all is said and done, then i'll think about nice barrel kits and/our upping to a adjustable, higer-end Nitro set up.

is there an affordable (such as crossfire) HPA setup recommended that will work good with the X-Valve?

thanks./

soccer4minimags
08-28-2004, 08:24 AM
Well you don't have many options below 150 if you are looking just at crossfire tanks. I think even their 68/3k is more than that. I'm not sure if they still make the 47/3k.

PMI has a 72 3k steel tank that usually goes for 130. I'd give that a look.

BeaverEater
08-28-2004, 09:17 AM
These are the crossfire tanks i've found to be under or around 150:
steel 68/3000 crossfire (http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=hCLCObB4kBzCEPFIFwgCkbqxuhGdMV3Dch8=?Pro ductID=VlCsFAY7gsYAAAD4GwYoKDc6)

crossfire 68/3000 fiber (http://www.actvil.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=hCLCObB4kBzCEPFIFwgCkbqxuhGdMV3Dch8=?Pro ductID=PUasFAY7YB8AAAD3t2elA_2t)

They seem to be reasonably priced compared to other manufactuerers.

abunkerer
08-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Spending a little extra money on your air system will go a long way. This is something that will most likely last longer that any piece of equipment you own, and will be used on all of your guns that you get... Remember that a lot of times you get what you pay for, and if you get a cheapo tank you could be putting your safety at risk, playing around with up to 5000psi of compressed air can be fatal. Saving up that extra 50-100 dollars is worth it in the long run.

Crossfire is a great tank, pmi tanks are also good.
-make sure you get a 4500psi High pressure (800+ output) tank you'll need it with the mag.

a mag running on compressed air will outperform a Co2 mag in every way, when I went from Co2 to N2 I was blown away by how much more consistent the gun shot, and in paintball consistency=accuracy, I was hitting my targets a lot more!
:cheers:

VelcroBP
08-28-2004, 09:20 AM
so then i should be looking at at least a 68, in 3000psi. please forgive the newbiness, but could someone explain to me or point me to a faq or some such about nitro/HPA. I'm still vague about just how the different psi (3000 vs. 45000) standards affect the performance. but it seems then that 3000 is the way to go to run a Mag?

abunkerer
08-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Lets take a 68/4500 Compressed air tank
(nitro tanks, N2, nitrogen..people call them a lot of different things..they are all the same thing) they are designed in different ways.

The first number such 68ci is the internal space in Cubic Inches, this varies from small tanks like the 45ci tanks to the large 90ci tanks, it is the amount of space on the inside of the tank.

the second number 4500 is the psi (pounds per square inch) this is how much pressure is able to be safely pumped into the tank. some tanks can withstand more pressure than others based on the materials used, generally steel is 3000psi, and steel wrapped in carbon fiber is 4500psi.

Because of safety concerns, tanks must be Hydro tested (pressure tested with water) every 3-5 years based on design.

shots per fill
3000psi tanks get 10 shots per cubic inch
4500psi tanks get 15 shots per cubic inch

-also remember that tanks have different outputs, some are low pressure (450) some are high pressure (800) and some are adjustable (100psi-1100psi) make sure you get one that you can use with your gun..an xvalved mag needs at least 800psi.

soccer4minimags
08-28-2004, 09:36 AM
edit
posted too late, what he said.

VelcroBP
08-28-2004, 09:47 AM
thanks for everyone's time w/ this!
i'll be lurking and posting more often over the next several months, as this seems to be the most helpfull resource out there!!!

ojhspyro89
08-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Yeah this place is prety kool. Just dont linger over to pbn, they are scary.

I have a question now, is it safely possible to fill a nitrogen tank with pure nitrogen? My dads got access to that because there is a welding shop and i think free is better than 3 dollars.

WenULiVeUdiE
08-28-2004, 11:26 AM
As long as it is not liquid nitrogen, it should be just fine. For paintball, nitrogen and compressed air are the same, except nitrogen is the better source. When you shoot with compressed air you sometimes get a white puff out the barrel after each shot. That puff is due to a tiny bit of water being propelled through the system( moisture from the atmosphere). Since n2 is just n2, you dont get that puff. You dont run the risk of damaging your solenoid or anything. But it's rare that the tiny amount of water will damage your gun.

ojhspyro89
08-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Kool now im going to have to rig up a fill system so i can fill my tanks instead of driving half an hour to get it filled. I doubt its liquid nitrogen, they use it for welding.

magman#1
08-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Spending a little extra money on your air system will go a long way. This is something that will most likely last longer that any piece of equipment you own, and will be used on all of your guns that you get... Remember that a lot of times you get what you pay for, and if you get a cheapo tank you could be putting your safety at risk, playing around with up to 5000psi of compressed air can be fatal. Saving up that extra 50-100 dollars is worth it in the long run.

Crossfire is a great tank, pmi tanks are also good.
-make sure you get a 4500psi High pressure (800+ output) tank you'll need it with the mag.

a mag running on compressed air will outperform a Co2 mag in every way, when I went from Co2 to N2 I was blown away by how much more consistent the gun shot, and in paintball consistency=accuracy, I was hitting my targets a lot more!
:cheers:

uhh just wonder the numbers of fatalilities are on that??? compared to the number of people who use compreesed air tanks??

fire1811
08-28-2004, 05:51 PM
crossfires are great tanks.

since you are going to build a better mag as you said i wouldnt skimp on the air system.
i would recommend getting a 68cu 4500psi tank. I made the mistake of buying a 3000psi once and then had to buy another one 6months later due to playing style change.

also the resale value on a 4500psi tank is going to be greater then on a 3000. buy for the future.

you could probably pick a used one up for around that price. dont rush it and keep your eye open.

SniperSmurf
08-28-2004, 10:26 PM
I agree. I have 2 Crossfire 68/3000 fiber tanks and really like them. I think I only spent like $139 if I remember correctly (each, not both). 4500 psi tanks would do me no good since my field can't fill that high and I fill from a SCUBA tank anyway, but yes, resale would be better with those.

noahyay
08-28-2004, 11:29 PM
get a 90 45 adjustable for 250 no shipping at sakworldpaintball or a 68 45 for a little less

emags4ever
08-29-2004, 12:22 AM
they still make 47ci 3k :cheers: