PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening titainium?

adam68c
08-31-2004, 10:13 PM
I have a tatainium dive knife and was wondering if there are any special techniques to sharpen it. Can you just use normal sharpening stones or those new sharpeners they have out now that are plastic with the little V of metal in them that you run the blade through? I dont want to screw up my knife.

Dubstar112
08-31-2004, 10:39 PM
Ill look into it, as my grandparents own a SCUBA shop. What brand is it?

PyRo
08-31-2004, 10:48 PM
I have one of those V sharpener things that came with my fillet knife and it has 2 sharpening stones in it, not metal. It works really well too :)
Have you tried google? Calling the place you bought it?

TransMan
08-31-2004, 11:08 PM
Ive hade a couple of those V type and I have always thot they sucked badly compared to a fine grit sharpening stone its better to have a few differnt grit stones and go from roughest to the smoothist and you will have a SHARP knife. Assuming you have never sharpened a knife make sure to keep the same angle in relation to the stone at all time so that you dont get a wavvy or rounded edge, also to make sure the edge you are sharpening is leading the motion of the knife to lessin the chance of rounding the edge off to one side.

P.S. Dont run your finger along the edge to check the sharpness. ;) Oh and I dont think (but not sure) that it being titanium should matter.

PyRo
08-31-2004, 11:20 PM
The V thing I have actually works very well.