PDA

View Full Version : Shartley , Just a request...

X-Plosive
10-24-2001, 08:51 PM
I really love all the work you ahve done for AO, Tom, and the AO members. I really don't want to ask anymore from you after making my beautiful sig. It's just thta I would like to se your version of the fantasy mag some time. Maybe touch up the old one. Can you explain ho thta person was abble to put that flame anno on that gun? Was it just a layer he put on top of all the other layers to create that nice image?

shartley
10-25-2001, 09:45 AM
Thank you.

I am however, far too busy to work up another version of the Fantasy Mag. I have done that a couple times for you guys with your own markers (the best being the Yellow one... I forget the name it was dubbed), and it was fun, but I am just too busy at the moment.

As for how it was done (the anno flames)... that could only be answered by the individual who DID it. The reason I say this, is that there are many ways to do any number of effects and graphic alterations. And most of them end up looking about the same.

For example... that type of thing can be done using your layered suggestion and then sharpened. It could also be done by layers of hue and saturation slides. And it could be done by using BOTH of these. There are other ways as well. Keep in mind that most of the techniques can be done with most any adequate graphics software.

They are also not "Software Specific", meaning that if you are good with one package, you can usually switch to another with little to no difficulty. The learning involves realizing how the particular software package DOES what you want it to do, NOT learning what you need to do. Each software suit has its own little quirks (and is usually more suited for a particular output), but good design and the basics for good design will remain the same. You just have to get familiar with the new tool.

It is like paintball... if you are a good player with a particular marker, when you switch to another marker you should still be a good player. You just have to get used to the new marker and how it works.

The main thing to try to keep in mind, is that when you do things like that, the goal is to have it NOT look as if the image was altered. If at a glance you can easily tell it was altered or doctored.... more work should be done. And most of the time to do it right takes much more work than the viewer ever realizes.

I hope this helps.

Webmaster
10-25-2001, 10:21 AM
It will be hard to contact the original creator - he is from france and his english is EXTREMELY poor. I mean HORRIBLY so... I cant understand him at all to be honest.

There are several ways to create the effect - I imagine he used a program like illustrator and then layerd it onto an image. I could be wrong.

I dont think it was his intention to pass it off as a possibly real gun - one that you couldnt tell it was doctored - mearly his wish to create something cool looking that "could" happen - or his version of the perfect mag.

I have also seen some exotic custom dreams ups of the vector - which was posted here away back.

If you are interested in such a thing, Illustrator would be a great way to get a clean mock off a fantasy gun, certainly cleaner than photoshopping an image generally. Of course you couldnt pass it off as real.

For those with 3d talents and software you could come up with some need autocad images etc - Manike I bet has some cool stuff on his hard drive.

bofh
10-26-2001, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Webmaster
It will be hard to contact the original creator - he is from france and his english is EXTREMELY poor. I mean HORRIBLY so... I cant understand him at all to be honest.

I'm going to have to assume that your French is worse than his English. (jk) :D

Webmaster
10-26-2001, 01:00 PM
Its probably as good - i see that he just put it through altavistas babble fish - and it came out as - uh - babble...

bofh
10-26-2001, 01:31 PM
Ain't technology grand?