PDA

View Full Version : Question to all you old school ballers...

Pballwizz
09-01-2004, 08:06 PM
To all you older guys that played back in like, '94, what was considered like, normal upgrades on a tourney gun? That might not be the best phrasing, but Im wondering cause I would kinda like to build a mag with the same ups that were used back in the day. If anyone knows I would apprciate it. Thanks!

kse
09-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Buy a base model stock mag and a remote, old pack and your all set. thats about it from back then.

Lee
09-01-2004, 08:25 PM
you'll need an old smart parts all american with the "air" rifling too.

Doobie
09-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Mybe add an old 9vt viewloader or one of the first 12v viewloaders.

abunkerer
09-01-2004, 08:35 PM
I had one in 94' it was a 68automag with a venturi bolt, stainless steel powerfeed body,12' dyeSS barrel and the apocolypse air america n2 system big block of stainless steel for a regulator super heavy. viewloader revolution. and a custom barrel plug. I remember talking to this guy at the shop about rounding the bolt edges for lighter trigger pull..to shoot faster..haha.

also has a black with silver and red splashed one, the smart parts splash package, came with a body rail, and expans chamber, tourney lock, trigger, and all american barrel.

Irelandunfree
09-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Back in "the day" when I first started playing, me and my friends got spyders and the hottest upgrade was the double trigger, or trigger jobs. Next to that was splash anno, now back in the day to me wasnt 94, acouple years after that I could say :)

Wc Keep
09-01-2004, 08:51 PM
dont forget the really long pieces of steel braided hose to keep the co2 out.

Tunaman
09-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Back in "the day", the hottest setup going was an Automag with 20oz CO2 ran VERTICAL! It still is! ;) :D

Wc Keep
09-01-2004, 09:00 PM
tunaman is having a flashback.

Shives
09-01-2004, 09:00 PM
I mentioned this to someone just the other day. I recall getting sprayed by the SOB's up at Paintball Sam's in WI. The guys were running their CO2 tanks vertical w/ like 3' of coiled hose just to get back to the AIR.
They used to slaughter us until it got a little cold. It was Wisconsin after all. Then, we'd wait w/ our ProAm's and SL68II's. The Mag toters would let lose a stream, and you could hear all of their seals freeze. Then, it was our turn to rule:)

Muzikman
09-01-2004, 09:01 PM
In 94 I have a hard time believing you had an AA Apoc and a DYE SS seeing as DYE did not exist in 94 and I don't think the Apoc did either:) Oh, and it was called a Viewloader VL2000

In 94 the big mag setup was this.

68 Automag Powerfeed
Smart Parts AA Barrel
Remote with expansion chamber and 20 oz tank
bottomline adapter (steel braid from the bottomline to the valve)
VL2000 Shreader

If you were special you got the Smart Parts Magic Box and the Smart Parks 8 Hole Mod (neither of which did anything).

Shives
09-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Wasn't the Magic Box sort of a volumizer? I know I wasn't fooled by that hype. I did cycle through half a dozen different on/off tops. Did we have foamie bolts by then? I think I went w/ a "Venturi" one instead.

Shives

abunkerer
09-01-2004, 09:10 PM
ok, it was 95'...got a free season pass to Badlandz with the purchase of my mag too.

than205
09-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Here's the (back-up) mag I just got.
The "story" I got was that a shop in Cali was packaging mag with mods. I was told that what's left of the sticker on the valve was their logo. (shown blown up in the upper left)
It's likely the story is BS. Still, it has a 8 hole mod, funky-custom 2 finger trigger (really quite nice feel), wierd looking on/off top (may just pre-date my mag days), came with ported SS barrel.
The prior owner sold it to me because it would chop and shoot down like crazy. He had Pro-Team powerfeed with what looked to me to be the wrong feed plug. There is a lip where I was sure that balls would get hung up on.
The on/off seemed upside down.
I got rid of the powerfeed, milled the slots in the on/off top deeper and oiled the thing a bit.
Doesn't have a problem unless you short stroke.
Good deal to me....

Chris
09-01-2004, 11:52 PM
94 is when I started playing. I remember wanting a 68 automag in the worst way. Specifically, a minimag, with the "whispering death" setup. This was just a nice expansion chamber. Smart parts also had come out with their All American barrels, and i remember the JnJ barrels were pretty nice at that time.

As far as other things i wanted, a double finger trigger, this was just a stock metal frame without a trigger guard....much like the picture posted above. A large remote mounted CO2 tank. The thing to do at the time, was to run the SS hose from the tank mounted in a pack, under your shirt, and through your sleeve and from there to the gun. People were wise...body heat to keep liquid out of the gun.

digitard
09-01-2004, 11:55 PM
haha. In the 94ish area playin' recball I would always rent the Mag w/ the Vertical 12oz and think I was da bomb.

My first marker, shortly after, was a classic mag w/ 12oz and remote and a PUTRID AA barrel. I thought I was da BOMB on the field. People were like "whoa, a non-rental"...lol.

The good old days. Now rental kids are like "yeah, stuck up tourney ballers" to anyone w/ a non-rental ...lol.

FragTek
09-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Buy a beat up SmartMag :)

gc82000
09-02-2004, 12:13 AM
Dude I was 12 in 94 and this is what I had on my Mag.
A JnJ 14in SS
Expansion Chamber (it was 6 in long and 3 LBs)
SS braided remote w/ a qick disconnect and slide check (very advanced at the time)
20 oz CO2 tank
Stock
VL 3000 (who remembers that one.)
And a 4+1 (in those days +1 meant it could hold a tank)

If you were rich you could have a SP all american barrel. It cost $120 in those days. And as for an AA Apocalypse it was $450 and the Raptor was $350.

:cry: And I was not rich. :cry:

Richter
09-02-2004, 12:34 AM
94/95 is when most tourney people had a 100 to 120 dollar whisper death expansion chamber on thier mag twenty ounce co2 on a remote 8+1 unique pack. (these were 100 round pods not those 140s that most people use today.) The best mag setup i saw was a blue anodized railed whisper death expansion chamber(high rise) to a unireg that was positioned on the CA adapter that was underneth the rail; then ran to a gas thru stock to a remote.

I beleive the nppl dallas open in 95 is when it was really cold out the people who had air america raptor nitrogen systems ruled ithe tourney.

Also back then some people were lacing co2 within the nitrogen/compressed air tanks to get more shots per tank. :nono: Many of the back players had 114 cu inch 3000 tanks on remotes.
Many people chose to lighten there guns by running remote. (steel braided remtoes)

oldsoldier
09-02-2004, 12:49 AM
Heh, I remember when there were no such things as upgrades...getting the velocity higher meant changing springs...and a "tricked" gun was one that had an auto trigger pump (where you could hold the trigger back, and pump it repeatedly, firing it). Oh, and the "new" banana hoppers, which were PVC pipe cut at angles, and glued together. Ah, the fun days...

Got_Paint
09-02-2004, 12:59 AM
You have to get a big long braided steel line and loop it about 5 times, the original remote :D

Eatem Alive
09-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Here's the (back-up) mag I just got.
The "story" I got was that a shop in Cali was packaging mag with mods. I was told that what's left of the sticker on the valve was their logo. (shown blown up in the upper left)
It's likely the story is BS. Still, it has a 8 hole mod, funky-custom 2 finger trigger (really quite nice feel), wierd looking on/off top (may just pre-date my mag days), came with ported SS barrel.
The prior owner sold it to me because it would chop and shoot down like crazy. He had Pro-Team powerfeed with what looked to me to be the wrong feed plug. There is a lip where I was sure that balls would get hung up on.
The on/off seemed upside down.
I got rid of the powerfeed, milled the slots in the on/off top deeper and oiled the thing a bit.
Doesn't have a problem unless you short stroke.
Good deal to me....
the sticker looks like the remainder of a "predator paintball" sticker out of sacramento. it was and still is ran by oh pawlak who was sponsored by agd at one time. he did sell upgraded mags i believe.

Enemy
09-02-2004, 03:05 AM
ok back in the day my set up was a spyder with a cheesy reg i remember those big old ss regs i wanted one so bad but it was to expensive.. the tourney gun was either a cocker or a mag with a vertical mount and 2 feet of ss steel hose coiled up then zip tied together to the valve!!! ofcoarse you ran co2 i can still remember the apg article on nirto and thinking it was a waste of money!! ha i was just a kid back then though.. also the smartparts splash kits ive seen some lurkng on actionvillages pb site!! oh and a vl 2000 wich is just like a 9volt revvy! and ofcoarse powerfeeds were really instyle for the mags. wow i feel old and im only 19!! sorry just did the math that was 96 that i remember wow have i really been playing that long?

Blazingace
09-02-2004, 03:21 AM
You guys are forgeting the best upgrade of them all. The full Eclipse splash anno kit with rail, ASA, powerfeed plug (old style, so the balls wouldn't feed right) tourney lock and a splash grip with the trigger gaurd removed. If your gonna go old school, you might as well pimp it too.

magmonkey
09-02-2004, 08:11 AM
power feed mag with a BIG taso expansion chamber (the one that looked like a heat sink)
2 remotes 1 from the asa wrapped around the feed and zippy tied the other to a 20 co2 thank on my back on a APP 4+1 pack 157magnum tubes SP gas through t stock

OLD style revie with the servo on the outside and then one of the rediculsy soft shelled VLs

I belive i had a lapco barrel back then but I am not sure

ALan
DC

Big'n slo
09-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Ahh the early years...
Nothing like scaring kids with my ol VM 68 :shooting:

Bought a classic mag in 94, first thing I asked the sales guy was "How do I cock this thing?" :rofl:

vonort
09-02-2004, 08:41 AM
My mag set up from the middle years. Since '94 really isn't considered the good ole days. I started in 1986. (them was the good ole days). But my mag was setup like most have stated. Pwr. feed Right. (yeah i had one of the few LH guns), on a remote. The hose ran to a 3.5 oz C02 tank in the VA. The 3.5 was the expansion chamber. I used the old Crown Point barrel till I saved up enought to get a SP. (before they were A-holes). Wish I had that gun back now.. oh well. :hail:

eadtf
09-02-2004, 09:00 AM
I started in 1989 so 95-96 is not really the old day's for me either... God thanks for making us feel old!

:shooting: :tard:

Jackel411
09-02-2004, 09:10 AM
94/95 at least in my local relm and tourny relm was chock full of Montneel Mega-Z's most of the local teams were sponsored by them and most of the shops sold them.. simply the best gun in my opinion till this day.. and all of us ran them the same way...

Mega Z , 45* vertical adapter with on off from cooper-t , armson barrel , and a syphon co2 tank.. If you were cool your sprung for the AA Barrel , factory anno or a 45 frame..

In that time frame I also had one of the first cockers and most of them were set up the same way again.. Whispering death EXC , armson barrel , palmer rock.. not micro rock not rock lite.. ROCK the brass one , and all the pnuematics had spings around the LP hose.. and lest we forget the big horking pnuematics shroud in aluminum and neoprene

peewee
09-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Here's what most of my team ran ( Northern Knights), it varied slightly with personal flavor.
68 Automag Powerfeed ( I used standard)
Smart Parts AA Barrel ( couple people used a crown point) TING TING TING gotta love it!!!
Remote with dual expansion chambers ( one right off the tank another on the gun)and 12 or 20 oz tank
bottomline adapter (steel braid from the bottomline to the valve)
9V revvy :ninja:

MarkM
09-02-2004, 10:38 AM
I was going to say the same thing about '94 being far from the old days. But then you have to remember that kids invented everything and nothing that came before them that was any good :rolleyes:
In '94 I was still running a Phantom and a newly aquired Sterling. A homemade (well team mate made actually) electro hopper with eyes! Twin 7oz bottles and a pack with 6 100 round pots in it, wearing Vents Predator goggles or ICS ones and Tanel 360's together with tiger stripe cammo, I never owned JT's until about 6 or 7 years ago.
Drain pipe hoppers was a good few years before this (my first hopper was made from drain pipe) though Indian Springs did make a smaller injection moulded version that wasn't so prone to breaking.
For the thread question it was Air and electronic hoppers that was in most peoples thoughts about upgrades, that and Dac barrels. If you had a fair bit of disposable income then it was a straight choice between an Autococker and an Automag but the 'mag had the edge as it ran well on co2 and didn't suffer the 4 good shots then 2 bad that the 'cocker did at the time. Icon Z1's were pretty common around then too.

Bulldog
09-02-2004, 10:45 AM
'94 is old school? :confused:

eadtf
09-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Ahhhhh the old day's....

Bushmaster Pump, Co2 Quick Connect (12 Gram Kind), 45 grips, Ported and Polished, 40 Round Spring Loaded Hopper, and a Spring Kit. Maybe if you wanted to look good you had a daisy red dot scope.

Thats Pretty Old...

Next Step Back was the Splatmaster, Nelson, and the PMI Pumps...

Hahaha Now I feel Old....

Paint was 25-30 cents a ball. Sold in boxes of 10 tubes, 10 balls per...

You may shoot 100-200 Rounds in a day. Also back then skill was far more important. Now you pay to play, and the more you pay the more you play. Get a tricked out full auto and layout a wall of paint, it makes it real easy to bunker someone and get the kill... Thats the only draw back to to all the new technology. If you have never played a pump game, you really need to expand your paintall playing horizon and seek a feild that still has them. Try to get a pump only game going, you will enjoy it!

Pat

slasherdan
09-02-2004, 11:20 AM
To all you older guys that played back in like, '94, what was considered like, normal upgrades on a tourney gun? That might not be the best phrasing, but Im wondering cause I would kinda like to build a mag with the same ups that were used back in the day. If anyone knows I would apprciate it. Thanks!

OLD GUYS FROM '94?!?!?!?

I wasn't THAT old back then .... WTF!?!? :)

Looks like you got your answers already!!

Battlewear
09-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Mybe add an old 9vt viewloader or one of the first 12v viewloaders.

FRICK! I still use a 9volt loader revy!! It so old the motor and battery and eyes are not inside the case like the later models!!

:cool:

Battlewear
09-02-2004, 11:57 AM
power feed mag with a BIG taso expansion chamber (the one that looked like a heat sink)
OLD style revie with the servo on the outside and then one of the rediculsy soft shelled VLs

/Me jumps up and down!!!

I HAVE THOSE!! LOL STILL USING THEM TODAY!! LOL :rofl:

Irelandunfree
09-02-2004, 11:58 AM
FRICK! I still use a 9volt loader revy!! It so old the motor and battery and eyes are not inside the case like the later models!!

Haha, I had the same one. The battery was held in the case with velcro and wires to the eyes were out in the open. And dont forget both the back and front could open :D

Battlewear
09-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Haha, I had the same one. The battery was held in the case with velcro and wires to the eyes were out in the open. And dont forget both the back and front could open :D

Yea, but my battery is held in by a square plastic tube that is JUST a fraction smaller then the 9v, friction fit!! Had 1 fall out once!!

Just last week it stopped working all of a sudden and at first I couldnt figure out why.. After I took the neopreen (spl) cover off I found that a bounce shot had dislodged the eyes and once I put them back in place it worked again.. Put the cover on and I was off and running LOL

I broke the lid on my years ago I have a 2nd lid duct taped on.. I personally like the new lid more as it slides out of the way instead of flipping up..

And yea, the openings on both ends.. I just remember being jealous of the guys that got the new version that could be undone because they could take out the screws and open it up to clean it out :rofl:

OH and on a side note.. I am still using it!!! LOL.. I will admit I tried an egg last weekend and it was even better.. Totally kept up LOL!

vonort
09-02-2004, 01:20 PM
I started '94 with my Phantom and 6 pack. Like a dumb arse I sold that to get my mag. Ok not a total dumb arse since the mag was nice. But I wish I could have kept that phantom and 6 pack. The phantom was the uni-body 11" Green. The 6 pack was all the rage before constant air came into play and screwed everything up.. hehe. Could you imagine trying to run electro gun X on a 12g with a 6 pack. LOL that would be a hoot. :shooting: :dance:

judster
09-02-2004, 06:14 PM
dont forget the really long pieces of steel braided hose to keep the co2 out.
lol ihad a 4ft SS hose wound up and tied off with zip ties on the side of my mag, that connected to the expansion chamber, ran to a 20oz co2 tank. had a venturi bolt and a custom 8hole mod done to the valve to 'allow more air'. a VL 3000 and a unique tiger stripe harness with a 20oz bottle holder for when i ran remote. and of course a vents mask with my 'no fear' sticker on ithttp://judstersjoes.com/mag2.jpg

scrumpy
09-02-2004, 09:24 PM
When I bought my Smartmag that is probably from the '94 era it had a lopped off trigger guard and the woodies, gotta rock the woodies they are so awesome :headbang: , cool splash anno parts, and apparently the 16" splashed AA that came with it must have been pretty intimidating back then?