PDA

View Full Version : Would Chroming a X-Mag Effect the Magnetics?

eadtf
09-02-2004, 09:25 AM
What do you all think about whether or not Chroming an X-Mag would have any effect on the magnetic pickups / sensitivity?

Pat

Chronobreak
09-02-2004, 01:37 PM
i beleive u can remove the trigger or the magnets atleast to avoid the problem. chroming mgiht mes with some of the other tolerances thoguh im not sure

eadtf
09-02-2004, 02:39 PM
I removed everything when I stripped it down, now I need to get it chromed. I keep hearing people say that I may mess up the tolerances, but what tolerances? The way ADG makes their markers more or less as long as you don't do anything to the bolt, there really are no tolerances.

The only tolerances I can think of is:

The location for the magnets
The cocker barrel threads
The housing where the bolt slides in and out, even then there is room...

when you talk about .008" added is this too much?

Pat

Tunaman
09-02-2004, 05:30 PM
.008 is not that much on the body, but add .008 on the rail too and now we have just messed with the on/off pin length by .016. That is too much. It may(nickel+chrome plating) even wind up being on the high side of the tolerances and make it worse than that. :nono:

personman
09-02-2004, 05:49 PM
.008 is not that much on the body, but add .008 on the rail too and now we have just messed with the on/off pin length by .016. That is too much. It may(nickel+chrome plating) even wind up being on the high side of the tolerances and make it worse than that. :nono:
Well, It's an Xmag, does that still count? I wouldnt think that would mess with the on/off length since it is one piece.. correct me if I'm wrong though.

matt-o
09-02-2004, 06:04 PM
well you have to take into account the removal of the old anno too

eadtf
09-03-2004, 03:45 AM
Check this photo I found at Pro Team Paintball (http://www.proteamdirect.com/proteam/emin24kgol.html) I know its possible.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/proteam_1780_2372633

And yes, I am trying to contact the person that did it! I do have an X-Mag so there will be some differences.

Also,

What do you mean by the on/off pin?

Pat

nate2k191
09-03-2004, 04:17 PM
the on/off pin is this:

Chronobreak
09-03-2004, 04:22 PM
the on/off pin is this:

nate, wrong thread :confused:

--edit btw ptp sint know for their clsoe specs

AGDlover
09-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Check this photo I found at Pro Team Paintball (http://www.proteamdirect.com/proteam/emin24kgol.html) I know its possible.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/proteam_1780_2372633

And yes, I am trying to contact the person that did it! I do have an X-Mag so there will be some differences.

Also,

What do you mean by the on/off pin?

Pat

thats gold plateing

nate2k191
09-03-2004, 05:19 PM
not the wrong thread. he asked what an on/off pin was, and i showed him. its the pin in my ult set-up, which looks the same in regular on/offs

eightball
09-03-2004, 08:14 PM
well you have to take into account the removal of the old anno too
wouldn't removing the old anno, and chroming it be just fine?? seeing how u're not adding anything on.

50 cal
09-03-2004, 09:07 PM
You can get chroming done with only .0015" per side. You might have to search around to find it, but it can be done.
Some firearm customizers might be a good starting place.

There was a place in Florida, I believe the name was Accurate Plating that does finishes that thin.
There are differnces in chroming also. There is industrial hard chrome and what is commonly called beauty chrome.
Industrial hard chrome can be polished, but it takes some work and is hard, real hard. It won't chip like cosmetic chrome.

eadtf
09-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Yes I know that is gold plating LoL, the point being is it is a finish that is something different then plain anodizing.

I was concerend that the chrom eplate on the grip frame might effect the magnetic sensitivity/field for the trigger pull.

Since then I think I am going to do a high polish and clear anod...

Thanks for the input...

Miscue
09-04-2004, 03:13 PM
What do you all think about whether or not Chroming an X-Mag would have any effect on the magnetic pickups / sensitivity?

Pat

No. You can put a thicker (than your chroming) piece of ferrous metal between the trigger and hes - and it will make no difference. Try it!

eadtf
09-05-2004, 02:45 PM
LoL, yeah I had changed my mind again, I am sending it in for Chroming. I am just going to mask off certain parts to prevent the chrome.

I think chrome is a non-ferrous metal however, but I don't think that it will have any effect on the magnetic field. If it did I will polish it off.

But now you mention it I am going to to a little test with different metals to see the effects on the trigger. Also, when you chrome aluminum you have to flash it with copper so the chrome can be applied.

Thanks again for the input.

Miscue
09-05-2004, 03:12 PM
LoL, yeah I had changed my mind again, I am sending it in for Chroming. I am just going to mask off certain parts to prevent the chrome.

I think chrome is a non-ferrous metal however, but I don't think that it will have any effect on the magnetic field. If it did I will polish it off.

But now you mention it I am going to to a little test with different metals to see the effects on the trigger. Also, when you chrome aluminum you have to flash it with copper so the chrome can be applied.

Thanks again for the input.

Non-ferrous materials are transparent to magnetic fields.

eadtf
09-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Non-ferrous materials are transparent to magnetic fields.

Exactly, So this means that the chrome would have no effect correct?

Miscue
09-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Exactly, So this means that the chrome would have no effect correct?

Non-ferrous materials will have no effect at all. Ferrous materials - you would need a good amount shaped well to deflect the field to make any difference - I tried about 1/8" thickness of ferrous metal and didn't matter. I don't know what chrome is off the top of my head.

Ferrous materials don't actually block magnetic fields, they redirect them.

eadtf
09-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Well I know copper is a non-ferrous metal which is what they will have to flash the aluminum with then the chrome plate. I think chrome is a non-ferrous metal.

So you tried to disrupt the trigger magnets on your x-mag and they still worked?

I can't test it as I have not received mine in the mail yet.

Pat