PDA

View Full Version : Your stances on the issues, the political parties, and your vote

Lohman446
09-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Alright, its like this, I realize this is likely against board rules, in the past many members have been able to discuss these issues and do so in a civil manner. I'm trying to look at issues you find important, your stance on them. Then for curiosity, what party you identify with, and what way your vote is headed.

The issues
Abortion: I have what is probably a radical viewpoint of abortion. I beleive the only time it should be allowed is when there is a medical neccessity for it.

Gay marriages: I support a two tier marriage/civil union system. However I beleive that same sex partners should be allowed marriage, and that all couples should have a choice of either tier to best suit there relationship while protecting there interests.

Iraq: I flip-flop on if we should have been in Iraq in the first place. History teaches us that occupation of the middle east is not a winnable battle and can just create more problems for us. However, we are also in an era where problems in the middle east can be brought to our doorstep... I'm left with the stance that we are there now, and we have to do our best to do what we started correctly, and see it to the end.

Foreign aid: Not a chance, not in today's standards. Why were we giving the Taliban billions of dollars while they blew up historic land marks (the budha statues) and we knew they harbored terrorists that worked against us (Clinton sent missiles after the Cole? bombing if I recall). Why do we supply good health care to other parts of the world and yet not ourselves. I beleive our policies on financial aid have failed, 9/11 shows you can't buy friendship, and need to be strongly reevaluated. I do not have as strong a problem with helping countries that our truly our friends.

The UN: The security council strongly denounced the attacks on the Russian school, and called for countries to aid... wow, strong words. The security council was supposed to be just that, the UN now has deteriorated into a joke. I think our forefathers warned against strong foreign entanglements such as this for a reason. Either the UN needs to become effective, or cease.

Cuba: WTF?? Get over it. So there a communist country, and we have opposed them for some time. They might have had nuclear weapons pointed at us at one time. So did Russia, who we consider an ally. Open Cuba to trade (even if restricted) and lets move on and make nice.

Foreign trade: Yeh, what is up with how it is now. I beleive that our government has a fundamental duty to protect our workers by trading only with countries that support its works in a liveable condition. A duty to tarrif those countries that don't have workers who meet a standard of living we deem acceptable to make those goods cost competetive with American goods. Don't through a hissy fit about the price of everything rising, some things will. But Japanese workers likely meet those theoretical standards, and they are competetive already on many things. Hush Puppie shoes are reasonably priced, as are Doc Martins. We can compete.

Big government: I beleive our government has the duty to keep a standing military, regulate interstate and international commerce, and uphold the constiution. I do not beleive they should have the power to levy an income tax. I beleive that "social" programs should be funded by the states themselves, perhaps with some help in levelling the playing field from state to state from the federal government. I beleive that the federal government should be able to collect a national sales tax (perhaps levied through the state sales tax programs where they exist) in order to fund these needs. I also beleive it would be considerably less now.

Health care: Seems how I realize I am not going to get big government out... I beleive healthcare is a fundamental right to all Americans, and that the present system should be revised. However, we have one of the leading medical systems (as far as advancements) in the world, and change should be careful not to destroy that.

My party, my vote
I fail to identify well with either party, though I usually end up voting Republican. At this point I favor Bush though certainly not because I agree with him on every issue or because I think he was necesarrily right on Iraq. Bush strikes me, perhaps he's a good actor, as sincere in his motives. Kerry strikes me... well as wanting to do whatever it takes to get ahead in life. Frankly, there is no way I am voting for someone who accused our soldiers (without just specifics, he accused them as a group) of the acts he did while we were still at war. I realize I am never going to have a working class President... there childhoods frankly are not as important to me as there life outside of it. I'm sick of ultra-rich people trying to tell me they know what its like to be working class. They may have seen there fathers and mothers be working class, but that does not mean they have any idea what its like to not know how to pay next months bills, or worry about finances, or many of the other things. In the end it is sincerity that will take my vote, I can disagree with someone on many issues and still beleive them to be very capable of leading us... as long as I think there disagreement is sincere, of course this does not hold true of all issues, I beleive for instance it is our obligation to support our troops, even if we disagree with the war. Should you have examples of specific acts of war crimes, then bring them forth, let the government deal with them... as in AbuGray (sp way off there). Do not accuse our soldiers in general of atrocities, I know too many soldiers, yes they happen, I know it, but too many are good people.

Kellen_p8nt
09-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Well might as well throw in my two cents. But how about we just not even argue? Both sides of this. Just lket people say what they think but dont nag the s*** out of them or this will get locked

Abortion: I believe there is a fine line here. I would like to see abortion stay legalized. Because its difficult and wrong to tell a woman she must suffer 9 months of pregnancy. However if she is alloted a certain amount of time to make a decision and either choose to keep the babay or does not make a decision then she should have to go ahead with the pregnancy and put it up for adoption etc. I believe there is an arguable tangible point where it becomes human, that point for me is when it develops mental capacities. So early on(i wanna say first trimesterish) the things is just cells and not really human.

Gay Marriage: I believe You have to allow homosexual amrriage simply because if you do not you prevent rights for everyone. We all have the option to marry opposite gender but I dont seee why WE ALL should not be allowed a bit more choice in the matter. Lohman I like your idea but it borders dangerously on turning the lower of the tiers into a buisness contract.

Iraq: "A catastrophic Success". I dont think we should have gone in. OUr priorities were all wrong. Get osama. Then if you wanna whoop saddam ok fine sure. But you must justify it. I do not see WMD. And if there were WMDs it was probably ouir fault for selling him it. Do I think Saddam was a bad man? yea of course it kinda goes with out saying. If they had said war for humanitarian reasons I prolly would have backed it but only after we adressed the real issue. I guess now we have to stay though. Because its a gargantuan cluster-**** of terroristd. Its goping to require much more than us to secure the nation though. ANd im starting to think this democracy is a puppet government. But if on there election someone else wins then ill readress my doubts. My doubts stem from why a democracy?

Foreign Aid: Depends on who and for what reasons. Humanitarian efforts? sure ok. Clean up land mines in cambodia. OK cool I can handle that. Aid to those who would be dictators? no thanks

UN: well one of two things needs to occure. We need to stop screwing with them or become isolationsit agian like pre ww1. UN can do things but its horribly obsolete in its style. BY giving vbeto power to nations that will never agree.

Cuba: Cool let em be communist. Stop with this rabid McCarthyism. I dunno if Cuba really qualifies as communist or if they just call themselves that. EIther way Lohman i agree we need to get over it.

FOreign Trade: Keep jobs here. But fair trade is important also. Tis another fine line.

Big Government: Well its gotta be semi BIg. IMagine if we left social services up to the state and one state offered more. Envy jealousy and inequality would follow. Not cool. Keep stuff like that at the national level. War is obviously a national thing. The economy is a national thing. The rights of pople is a national thing. The rest should go to state, uinless im forgetting something. BUt we do need to keep an eye out so it all stays orderly.

Healthcare: Lohman your right about that. You have to be very carefull not to halt all medical advancement while doing such things. Perhaps the national healthcare allows the user to choose his medication. That would keep the private medical in competition i believe.

Party Affiliation: I consider myself a progressive. Or perhaps an old school Libertarian(not these new "fiscal libertarians") because of this I generally associate with the democrats.

cphilip
09-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Alright, its like this, I realize this is likely against board rules, in the past many members have been able to discuss these issues and do so in a civil manner. I'm trying to look at issues you find important, your stance on them. Then for curiosity, what party you identify with, and what way your vote is headed.

1) It is

2) not often or likely

3) you will have to join a Political Forum for your search.

Sorry but its just not going to stay this nice. I know you two can do it. But there is alway someone that will spoil it. So its just not going to happen here.