PDA

View Full Version : Good Gaming Laptop

Pballwizz
09-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Yo, Im looking for a Gaming Laptop that wont cost like 2K or 3K. Im just kinda getting into computers (if ya know what I mean, like I can uses em and like em but Im new to CPU games and laptops.) Im just looking for one that can handle recent games, but will also be good for like, internet and stuff like that. If anyone could give help to a computer noob, I would apprciate it. Thanks!

t33kyboy
09-04-2004, 06:53 PM
http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/

Thordic
09-04-2004, 07:35 PM
"Gaming laptop" is kinda an oxymoron. If you want a real gaming system, you need a PC.

Or you need a buttload of money.

You can get a laptop someone will call a "gaming laptop", but it wont perform nearly as well as a gaming PC. Do you really need a laptop?

Chipper
09-04-2004, 08:15 PM
I know a guy who has a Alienware one, it performs pretty well, but as Thordic say, "Gaming Laptop" is a oximoron.

gamarada717
09-04-2004, 08:16 PM
And if you get a laptop that is powerfull enough to run games, it's going to be about 9 pounds and have around an hour to 2 hours of battery life. The only reason to have one is if you went to LANs ALL the time, but for that I would just get one of those mini PCs.

Pballwizz
09-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Yea, well I was thinking of Trying LANs, but realistically I dont think I would do them taht often. Ive been looking at Desktop's but Id ont really know what one. Those ones T33k posted seem cool, but I wanna make sure that they are good and don't just look cool. Cause I would also need the CPU for internet acces, and other common applications. I think I might just go for a dell or a gateway or something, or just a regualr laptop. Its just Im thinking hard about this because I need a new CPU but this will be my only computer till I got to College in like, four years.

Thordic
09-04-2004, 09:27 PM
CyberPowerSystems rocks. I use one. Excellent performance, and great price.

Dell and Gateway = poop. Their tech support generally sucks and everyone I know who gets a gateway has tons of problems with it.

redlaser666
09-04-2004, 09:38 PM
I can recomend you an Acer system. I have a Ferrari 3200 from acer and it is an exelent laptop. I have installed and run Doom3, Farcry, Hitman3 and some other games, and all of them have run very well on it. It weights about 6lb and the battery last about 2.5h on regular non gaming use (about 1h gaming).

If you want to play games on a laptop you should look for 3 basic things:
good Video card (ATI 9700mobility or Nvidia mobile geforce NO Intel cr!p)
Fast Procesor (at least a Centrino 1.7 or an Athlon 64)
Plenty of RAM (512Mb) the more the better

Hope this helps.

Pballwizz
09-04-2004, 09:42 PM
CyberPowerSystems rocks. I use one. Excellent performance, and great price.

Dell and Gateway = poop. Their tech support generally sucks and everyone I know who gets a gateway has tons of problems with it.

I actually like the CyberPower ones. But do they do any base package ones. That come with Monitor and stuff. Not know much about CPU's I get kinda confused when it gives the list of options. Thordic, how is it for internet usage and stuff? Also, the package things that I mention above, if they have em, do they have any for less than like 1000? Cause for that price I would just get like an Alienware Laptop or something.

polorboy
09-04-2004, 11:39 PM
Hey, gaming laptop is a real thing. I am getting an Alienware laptop that will kick the snott out of most other graphics card you can get today, even in most desktops. Plus 2 gigs of DDR2 PC3300 RAM, P4 3.4 ghz HT edition processor. This thing is going to kick arse, so don't say that gaming laptops aren't real, you just need to know where to look. If you really want to see some nice stuff that ranges from reasonable to insanly expensive look at L Computers (http://www.go-l.com) . They are insane and those laptops they offer could out do any desktop other than the ones they sell. But that is if you can afford one, they are upwards of 8k plus.

Thordic
09-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Alienware laptops are ridiculously overpriced. HE said he didn't want to spend that much.

The-Z-Man
09-05-2004, 10:22 AM
You also can check out hypersonics from what ive read they're a decent gaming platform at a good price. But if you want a more gaming oreinted laptop youre gonna want an Alienware or Acer...

insanity415
09-05-2004, 01:32 PM
for a really good gaming laptop, but also very expensive you want a Falcon NorthWest (http://www.falcon-nw.com/)

Python14
09-05-2004, 01:46 PM
If money is not a problem, FNW is the way to go. They regularly beat voodoo and AW in benchmarks with the same hardware.

FragTek
09-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Try your local mom and pop computer shop (wow that rhymed). Some build custom laptops, I had mine built locally and it's wicked. Spent $2k on it but ir r0x s0x!

FNW lappys are pretty pimp, a buddy of mine has one of the FragBooks and it's very nice (only because it has part of my name it ;)) hehe.

Tyril
09-06-2004, 04:02 PM
www.pctorque.com

I am typing this on a

Sager 5690-
3.2 GHz real p4
1024 800 mhz DDR
Dual Channel mobo
ATI 9700PRO 128 meg
60 gig 7200 rpm HD
1600x1200 (15" UXGA) screen

Cost me 2100 in april.

It will play Doom3 flawlessly at 1024x768 on med or 800x600 on high

Unreal 2004 is utterly perfect at max everything at 1600x1200 resolution. 60+ FPS nominal, 40+ in huge fights.

They also have a ATH64 one, as well as a 17" widescreen.

-mike