PDA

View Full Version : Viking or Xmag? Opinions...

RTDynaflow
09-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Ok, I am looking at a couple of guns. I will be buying one and need some feedback on both.

Right now I have my RT, and definately going to buy an Electro in the next few weeks. I am looking at 2 guns right now, the viking and a black to blue fade X-mag w/ a fireblade. Not exactly sure what model the viking is. Looks like a 2003 (switch is in rear) base model, though I am so very far from a novice on vikings (or electros in general).

There will be a poll too, btw....

--Looks--
Hands down the sexiest X-mag I have ever seen. Pure sex. I love the look of the X-mag in general and this one just...Yeah..

The viking on the other hand... well, it is just fugly. I never liked look of viking in general, but this one has the anno coming off, no milling, dye clear stickies not so clear, plastic trigger, and just in general, its fugly. Only, when you first see her... As you get to know her, she becomes a little more appealing.

--Trigger--
The plastic trigger is a custom one off, and it just owns everything I have ever shot. I can hit 22 cps w/ it on debounce 3. :eek: The neatest thing about this trigger is, you can't make it bounce. I mean I tried for a good 10 mins to get it to shoot even twice. Get it ripping and it just keeps getting nastier. Never could I get it to do anything that would have it DQ'ed though... Atleast not at the level I play. :rolleyes:

This is what I am unsure about on the X-mag. I have never shot an an e/x mag before, only microswitch electros. I am going to try out an e-mag tomorrow (not sure what software yet). I got to feel the stock e-mag trigger pull (w/o anything on, dead battery), and well, it was less then appealing. Actually felt almost as strong as my RT. Of course I am sure a nice trigger job would lighten this up.

--Electronics--
The viking has a WAS board, but no eyes. This is kind of a concern. I didn't spend 6 hours fine tuning my LvL X just to get an electro that chops. Any viking owners have this problem? The store selling the viking is telling me I won't have a problem as long as I keep it under 20bps. Hard to believe.

X-mag has the eyes (of course) and 3.2 software. How fast are these? Can you adjust debounce on x-mags? Sorry, I know very little about the x/e-mag's electronics. Is there a debounce... I wouldn't think so, but...??

--Maintenance--
I don't know anything about vikings, atleast mechanically. How hard are these to maintain? Is there alot of issues with them? This particular viking was just recently serviced by AKA; O rings and the such.

Mags I know, atleast pneumatically. Nothing I can't handle, for the most part...

--Accuracy--
Opinions on vikings...

I know mags own. No questions there. :shooting:

--General--
Just in general owners opinions on the viking and any specific parts I missed here. O yeah, that bolt ownz on the viking. Love how quiet it is for dry firing. Because if I buy it I will be dry firing it every day when I wake up :D

Likewise for the X-mag.

--Price--
The guy is asking $700.00 for the viking. Seems a little high?? It may come with an armegedon 45/45 tank, not sure.

The X-mag is somewhere around $1200-1300. Comes with: both chargers, barrel kit (can't remember which one), vert breech and drop.

Both are discontinued, so I guess whatever they are worth to me is going to be the answer here. However, which one is, in your opinions, the best buy? I am leaning towards the viking right now.

Also, if any Devilmag owners want to drop some comments on thier guns in here, that would be appreciated. Or GA Devil. Your opinions, although biased, would be appreciated (also pics of that 90* I keep hearing about). As a custom Dallara DevilMag isn't out of the question.

Any suggestions and opinions are welcome (except "go buy an e-bladed cocker 'cause it rocks" type :nono: ). Even if you don't own either, don't mind hearing some comparisons.

Drop me some pics too. Much appreciated. Just try to keep this as factual as possible. I know alot of you own both, your opinions would be awesome.

Later,
Nate

Blazingace
09-05-2004, 01:19 AM
I voted X for the obviousness that it is a superior gun IMO. The X is so exclusive that it owns even if you don't use it. Love mine. I viking is a great gun, but from what you wrote it is somewhat incomplete without the eyes. Up to you.

BlackWeenie
09-05-2004, 01:20 AM
i would personally go for the viking. eyes arent a big deal because theyre only $20 and are apparently very easy to install. ive used a viking a couple days and own an emag and even if the xmag and viking were the same price i'd still say go for the vike. $700 sounds like a good deal if you get a tank with it for the price. as far as maintenance goes, both are very easy. and the accuracy is comparable too. anyways, i would definately recommend the viking.

Steelrat
09-05-2004, 01:26 AM
I've owned 5 vikings and 5 x/e-mags, so I feel qualified to comment.

Performance-wise, the viking beats the xmag. Its much more efficient, usually faster, and simpler to operate. My electronic mags failed on me quite a few times for a variety of reasons. My Vikings and excals have never, and I mean never, failed me. The xmag is easily the best looking gun I have ever seen, so there is no way a stock viking is going to compete with it, but once you start thinking of the viking as a tool, then its easier to deal with. As for maintenance, they are both easy, requiring a few drops of oil and nothing else. The AKA is not as easy to user-service, requiring special tools to access the internals, but there is seldom anything to fix. The AGD guns are very easy for a user to service.

Now, let me say that the xmag I had with a fireblade (not that odd forward slant logic blade, I mean the actual fireblades, theres a BIG difference) had the best trigger feel ever. With 4.0 on the X-mag, it was VERY fast. I have a trigger setup that I use on all my AKA setups, but its not quite as nice as the Xmag.

Personally, the price on that viking seems a bit steep to me, especially since it doesnt have eyes and the anno is coming off. The AKA viking WITH eyes is an entirely different gun than the one without eyes. I cannot recommend one without eyes. Just glancing at the PBN AKA BST forum, I found this right off the bat:

The Viking:
2003 Sapphire Blue Viking Serial #835- Was board 2.6
- AKA Sidewinder
- Was ACE
- Eye covers
- Wicked Switch
- Smoke Dye Stickies 03
- CCM Lowrise
- Humprey Noids
- Tornado Valve
- Adjusted trigger
- 14 inch Dye UL (2 peice) .694
- Javelin
- Shocktech Med Drop

for $750. Sounds much better. And thats just the first one I clicked on.

Bottom line: For playing paintball, the viking is the better choice, but NOT the one that store is trying to stick you with.

gc82000
09-05-2004, 06:28 AM
I voted for the Xmag just because it is an extremely great gun. But if you did not put up the price I would have been Xmag all the way. But you could probably get that Viking for six hundred easily. That is less then half for the Xmag. You could get it reannoed and fixed up to look nicer and still have some change.

GT
09-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Depends what you want to do. You want a gun to hang on the wall go Xmag. You want a gun to "kill suckas" with go viking.

Dont get a viking w/o eyes.

djmrk
09-05-2004, 09:24 AM
There will never be a perfect marker, if there were, than everyone would be using the samething. You should get what is right for you because after all, you are going to be using it. Another thing to consider it that mags just may have the lowest profile one could find, except for the new shocker (about the same). IMOI, both are very good markers and preform well. I have seen Vickings go down and Mags go down on ppl, it happens. Hope this helps.

afultz075
09-05-2004, 10:13 AM
I've owned an E-Mag and currently have an '04 Viking. I just got a chance to shoot the Viking for the first time yesterday so I can give some comparisons.

I hate to say, but the Viking killed the E-Mag in just about every area. The Viking felt so much smoother to shoot (I have a Mitey Max) and was a lot easier to rip on, but that's probably because I had a double trigger on the E-Mag. Also, the efficiency was just amazing, I shot about 75 paintballs through it and a bunch of people wanted to dryfire it, and after all the dryfiring (it was a lot) the tank still had 2000 PSI of a 3000 PSI on a fill on a 68ci left, if I dryfired a mag that much on the same tank, it would've been around the point where I would've needed to refill the tank to get it operable.

The only area the Viking lacks is appearance, my E-Mag was such an awesome looking gun compared to it. But you do get used to the more industrial look of the Viking.

HeyLookItsADuck
09-05-2004, 10:46 AM
ive only seen a viking on a field once and it was pretty good, i say you should do viking. Its crazy fast+ its probably the best gas user of all

Steelrat
09-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Keep in mind that for the price of the xmag, you could get a nice custom viking or an excalibur.

Thermus
09-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Pick up an 04 Viking. You could probably get it cheaper than 1400, with a tank.

RTDynaflow
09-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Wow, 50-50. You guys make my decision so much easier :p

I think the viking the shop owner has come with a tank. I can probably get it for 550 or so w/o the tank. (I have 4, do I need a fifth...). I know the people at the shop and they arren't out to screw anyone. If I buy a viking I would like to get his, but I am not going to spend 700 on it when I could get one here for 750 that is in much better shape all around. I am about to head out there, I will try and find out what all it has on it.

It is pretty close to the one steelrat is talking about
minus the eye, and nice milling/anno. We will see. Also something else I loved about the viking, although big, it was not as heavy as I would think. It weighs about the same as my RT. But it is perfectly balanced. Did I mention the sick bolts on viking. That has to be one of my favorite parts. The nerve video kind of reminded of a viking, except Smart Partsanized.

Appreciate all the feedback, keep it coming.

Nate

68magOwner
09-05-2004, 11:47 AM
what i would want- >2k4 timmy>viking with eyes>used (non 2k4 style) timmy>X-mag

i just dont see the X mag as cost effective compared to other markers, for the price, id pick up an alias

flyinasian016
09-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Ive got a Viking, i had an E-mag.

The emag was fully loaded with everything you could possible get, except for a CnC pack(but those are so damn hard to find). 3.2, X-valve, ULE body, ULE rail, Level 10, Logic trigger, etc.

The vike has WAS 1.6, Eyes, Nice Trigger, etc. and its a 2k3 unmilled.

The vike is handsdown the better marker. It is much faster, better on air by far, and in my opinion, more accurate. If you are willing to spend $1200-$1300 on an X-mag, you mind as well get the viking and upgrade it. But you can get a lot of custom/aftermarket vikings for $1300. DC's, PBX's, Immortals, Featherlights, etc. Ive had both guns, and my vote goes with the viking. You can buy that viking for $700 and have $600 left over to get it ACE'd and get it anno'd milled. I think JmJ does milling and Ano for $575~. That has anno any color you want, and you cang et featherlight milling too. Or you can get the featherlight milling for $275~ and have your gun raw.

toymyster
09-05-2004, 06:44 PM
I have shot both, and really, you can't go wrong with either!! I do, however, love the E/X-mags!! It's more compact, plenty fast, much simpler, and can shoot with or without batteries, and don't forget Lvl10!! The Viking is on the other hand, just about the most efficient thing out there, if that's an issue!!! I think they are both fantastic guns!! I can shoot anything I want, I love the 'Mag!!!
Edit: Being familiar with the Mag is another big point for the X!!!

penguinpunk555
09-05-2004, 07:04 PM
DM4 will rocks your socks off.

flyinasian016
09-05-2004, 08:07 PM
DM4 will rocks your socks off.

hahaha, good joke. To bad it wasnt an option :rolleyes:

RTDynaflow
09-05-2004, 09:25 PM
Still a dead even tie. Amazing.

Well I got to shoot another viking today (with eyes) and I do believe I will be getting one. As for the one the shop owner is selling... no tank, no barrel, won't go any lower than 700. So, I am looking else where.

The other viking I was shoot is for sale also.

2002 Half Milled Mineral Gray Viking
WAS unsure of version
WAS ACE
Eye covers
Humphrey noid
Black dye stickies
JmJ trigger
Not sure what reg, looks stock
CCM low rise
Same barrels as above
He wants 850, I can get him down to 800 though. Pretty fair deal?

The trigger isn't quite as sweet as the other viking, but still nice. Also the debounce was on 4 vs 3 on the first viking.

Anyway, appreciate the feedback. Made my decision a little easier. If anyone here is selling one shoot me some PMs.

Nate

Steelrat
09-06-2004, 01:33 AM
Not a fair deal. I have seen loaded 2004 vikings going for 850 or so, with a blank warranty card. Lifetime warranty is only for original owner, so if they sent it in, bye bye warranty.

WAS version is irrelevant, you can upgrade the software via an equalink cable. The WAS boards are all physically the same. And one of the joys of AKA guns is that the stock parts are the BEST parts you can have. Reg? Sidewinder, the best (except for the new AKA 2 liter). Valve? Tornado, the best. LPR? Stock or SCM, two great lprs. Bolt? Lightning bolt, the best.

And factor this into your equation. I have owned 3 Xmags, 2 Emags, a Naughty Dog Timmy, 2 Freeflow eblades, and a DM4, and I prefer AKA guns to all of those. I actually shoot an excalibur, but thats a different story ;)

RTDynaflow
09-06-2004, 03:09 AM
More questions. Is it all the WAS boards that have the FSDO issue? You can adjust the debounce through the trigger right?

Few other questions

Switch... Bedlam or WAS? Which is better..
This may be a stupid question, but what does a mitey max do?

The pandora board, have heard (or read) some good and bad about it. It claims no FSDO, but has a pain in the ... tourney lock?

So the viking has a regulator (drops pressure to??) and a low pressure regulator (brings it down to 80 or something?) and then my adjustable tank. Just trying to get my facts straight.

Thank you agian Steelrat. I appreciate the excellent advise here. Goto love AO people.

Nate

Steelrat
09-06-2004, 04:03 AM
More questions. Is it all the WAS boards that have the FSDO issue? You can adjust the debounce through the trigger right?

Few other questions

The pandora board, have heard (or read) some good and bad about it. It claims no FSDO, but has a pain in the ... tourney lock?

So the viking has a regulator (drops pressure to??) and a low pressure regulator (brings it down to 80 or something?) and then my adjustable tank. Just trying to get my facts straight.

Thank you agian Steelrat. I appreciate the excellent advise here. Goto love AO people.

Nate

WAS version 1.6 is supposed to eliminate FSDO. Debounce can be adjusted through the trigger, along with dwell and eye mode.

I don't use the Bedlam or WAS switch. I always use a razor blade trigger with the stock switch and no spring. Bedlam and WAS tend to be too light to return a trigger without a spring.

Mitey max is a volumiser, lets you lower the operating pressure of the gun. Supposed to lower recoil and slightly increase efficiency. Results have been more subjective than objective.

Pandora board. Had it, sold it. If you are upgrading from a nelson board, id go Pandora, but if it has WAS id just keep it. Pandora is a good product, but not really different from the WAS, except that the maker posts on the AKA forum. The owner of WAS is a tool.

Main reg on a viking (the sidewinder) drops the input pressure to about 200 or so. The LPR drops the cocking, or ram, pressure to about 72 psi. The full 200 psi or so is the operating pressure, or what is shot out through the bolt to fire the paintball. I run my dynaflow at about 450-500 with my AKA guns, works great. Sidewinder also deals with HP tanks just fine.

flyinasian016
09-06-2004, 12:00 PM

Few other questions

Nate

Most Pre-1.6 WAS boards have FSDO, but if you get a MM that usually solves it. You can adjust debounce, dwell, and eye mode through the trigger, its soo simple.

I use the Razorblade like Steelrat with the stock switch flipped and bent. Makes for a very light pull. My friend uses a WAS Switch and it doesnt always return the trigger which makes things a pain sometimes. Oh, for triggers dont get the JmJ Slingblade unless you like shooting under 5bps.

If you have WAS just send it to AKA and they will do it for free. All you have to do is pay shipping to/from i think. If you have Nelson board, just go ahead and get the Pandora. Theres really no difference in the boards except the pandora has better eye logic.

The Sidewinder and Stock LPR on 03's/04's lower your pressure to around 75~. Theres no point in having an adjustable tank. Youd just be triple regging the air. If i were you id just sell your adjustable and buy a preset, HP/LP doesnt matter, and use the extra cash for someting else.

ghost271
09-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Well I'm a first time Viking owner (got one of the last 04 Immrtals) and after doing research for close to 1.5 years I decided with the Viking. Without even touching one. To say I was nervous is an understatement. But after spending my life in the AKA, and AGD forums at PBN I felt more than comfortable going with my decision. It really came down to the DM4 and Viking, and I have heard plenty of horror stories about flimsy DM4 wiring problems. I have used my Viking for almost 2 months and become more and more impressed every time i use her. The Pandora is amazing and I love the ability to put bounce on if I want. The regulator is still working itself in but the consistancy gets better every day out. I had 'virgin' fingers before I got the vike and I can RIP 18bps no problem (without bounce). If you have the money to buy a custom viking, go ahead and get an 04. It is more cosmetically appealing than the stock unmilled version but remember that your gun is a tool first, showpiece second. I was afraid to play with my Immortal cause I didn't want it to get scratched. But the truth of the matter is, i didn't spend $1300 for something to hang on the wall. Either way; unmilled or custom 04 vikings are going to make you smile every day you use them. Another thing thats great with having ANY custom gun ( istill think XMags are the hottest) is that you are set apart from all the others at your field. I never liked having what everybody else had and going with the flavour of the day. Get you what like regardless of what anyone else says...........*get the vike* :p

Unfortunately I am starting to feel the 'AKA Gun Whore Itch' . :eek: MUST HAVE CUSTOM EXCALLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!! :cuss:

RTDynaflow
09-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Another question: SCM is just a better LPR right?

Definately want a viking. Just trying to figure out which is I want. The milled 03 with WAS and all that seem to be going for 800-850. And 04 are only like 100 more brand new.. unmilled, but still... Hmm.

Ghost, that is the viking I want, except I couldn't find them on their website. Does whats his name due custom milling?

Steelrat
09-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Another question: SCM is just a better LPR right?

Definately want a viking. Just trying to figure out which is I want. The milled 03 with WAS and all that seem to be going for 800-850. And 04 are only like 100 more brand new.. unmilled, but still... Hmm.

Ghost, that is the viking I want, except I couldn't find them on their website. Does whats his name due custom milling?

SCM, and the new 2 liter HPR, are "self compensating" regs. That is, the output is supposed to stay stable regardless of input pressure fluctuations. So, in that respect, the SCM is a superior reg, though the original AKA LPR is held in very high regard. Some people still use them instead of the SCM, believing the original to be the better reg. I wouldnt worry if the gun had a stock lpr, they work great.

I think OTE has one dust black immortal for sale, he had it listed on the AKA BST forum. JMJ also has a green acid featherlight for sale, and destructive customs has several DC vikings. If you need links, just LMK. Remember, the only difference between them and stocks is looks and weight, operation is identical.

And I think the 04 vikings feel a lot smaller and lighter than the 03s.

ghost271
09-06-2004, 07:19 PM
OTE does the Immortals. He may have one black one left. http://www.ontargetentertainment.com/Immortal/index2.htm

As long as the 03 has eyes drilled you dont really need to worry if you want to upgrade the board. The 04s just have the same side dual detents instead of the wire ones. check out the aka forums at pbnation.com Pics of a guy that has a custom RollOut Viking '04 NIB. He wants $1200 .lmk and I'll give you his email addy.

RTDynaflow
09-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Links would be awesome....

Steelrat
09-06-2004, 07:34 PM
Destructives for sale: http://pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=630599

Immortals: On PBN, though its sale pending: http://pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=625721

Featherlights: Website is under construction, but you can email them www.jmjconcepts.com

AKA BST forum, where there are plenty of vikings for sale: http://pbnation.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=262

ilikePB
09-07-2004, 06:47 PM
I voted other just for the simple fact that the Viking you had listed in your first post sucks. Get a Viking, but not that one, that seems to be what you are going to do. I use 2 different trigger set ups, the first one is with a Bedlam switch and stock spring with the stock blade trigger and the second is a Matrix frame(milled to fit the Viking) with CP roller trigger, no spring and 50g switch. I like the Trix frame the best. I have WAS 1.6 with no fsdo and it is very fast. I also have a Mitey Max and decreased the kick noticeably, I would recommend getting one. The maintenence is a breeze and it is one of the, if not the, fastest gun around. I love my Viking and wouldn't trade it for anything except another Viking or maybe an Excalibur. ;)

RTDynaflow
09-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Well I am definately not buying the one from the first post...

OMG!! AKA, please forgive me for saying vikings are fugly. :hail:
http://www.flagpull.com/AKA/zbVik9.JPG

I spoke out of ignorance, aka. :hail:

sick. Just sick. I must have....

Steelrat
09-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Yeah, thats a nice destructive viking, and its for sale at a good price to boot! I guess this means bye bye X-mag...

RTDynaflow
09-08-2004, 02:50 AM
You killed the X-mag steelrat. How does that make you feel? ;) Well you and the sweet *** bolt setup, and the trigger...and the 2kballs per 68/4500 fill...eyes..self compensating regs standard... Glad someone pointed me towards the light. :D

Excellent. Wasn't sure on the price of that DC; if it was fair or not. Hopefully she will be in my hands dry firing her heart out in a week. This is going to cost me a fortune in paint now... :rofl:

ghost271
09-08-2004, 01:39 PM
- "This is going to cost me a fortune in paint now... "

Welcome to the world of the Viking. My paint consumption has easily tripled since I bought my Immortal. Before 1000-1500 rounds would last me all day. The last time i was out, 1600 in 2 hours. It was sick..................but sweet at the same time :tard:

RTDynaflow
09-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Now which viking? I can't decide.

Destructive Custom (white)
Featherlite (cobalt white fade)
Highlander ( standard greyish)
?????

Would just buy an unmilled one, but you goto look good on the field. Right? :D

Nate

ghost271
09-09-2004, 07:57 PM
well a new highlander is going to cost you $1500. I think they have a few unannoed ones left so you could probably still get your choice . DCs I'm not too sure about.Featherlite would be a sweet *** choice too and that color combo would look kickin'.

FSU_Paintball
09-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Bottom line: For playing paintball, the viking is the better choice, but NOT the one that store is trying to stick you with.

^^listen to the man^^

RogueFactoryKid
09-09-2004, 08:43 PM
RO Vikings are sick, they were made special for a team that plays at my local field (Yes in Maine we have a couple great teams/AKA Sponsored) With the Pandora board they're sick, but the fact is hes going to be making a "Butt.load" of cash because lets just say he didnt pay more than a B2k4 w/out pds for it.....Great gun though only a few made.

MicroMiniMe
09-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Now which viking? I can't decide.

Destructive Custom (white)
Featherlite (cobalt white fade)
Highlander ( standard greyish)
?????

Would just buy an unmilled one, but you goto look good on the field. Right? :D

Nate
If your going new there are some nice 1/2 milled out there too.
Yeppers (http://www.yeppers-llc.com/)
You could also get a raw 1/2 mill from DBN and send it to JMJ for Crusader milling, 1/2 mill and Featherlight combo milling.
Highlanders are nice but $500 more for milling is too much. FL and DC are both great mills.

RTDynaflow
09-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Heres some pics... I like that featherlite, but the highlanders have the sickest milling hands down. Not to mention so very few were made. That rollout is nice, don't care for the gloss look, but I am considering it.

Featherlite. I think it may be unfair to play with this, considering the other player would stop dead, dumbfounded and drooling. Wants $1550 . Comes with: stiffi switch barrel (not sure if he has the kit..), MM, SCM, Shocktech drop, razor trig, sticky 3s, no rider, updated bolt/springs, blank warrantty card. all custom annoed!! I am leaning towards this one...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/kwheezy2000/IM000743.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/kwheezy2000/IM000748.jpg

I love that anno fade. IMO it is the best I have ever seen in paintball.

And the Highlander. Sweet sweet milling. Love the bolt area. They are going for $1500 w/ the longbow (Btw is that as good as they hype it to be??). 6-8 week waiting =/. They have one made, $1800! about 2 cases through it. Think it is loaded though, "rough blue" anno, 2 liter, MM, SCM Longbow, sticky 3s, drop, updated bolt and spring, no-rider, razor trig... $1800! can't get over that little small inconsequential number..
http://www.actionpursuitpaintball.com/highlander/greyhighlanderleft.jpg
That is the 03...

And finally the DC stormtrooper. Cheapest, but is stock, no drop, aftermarket barrel... etc $1350
http://www.flagpull.com/AKA/patchviking.jpg
I really want the one I linked earlier, but has a pending sale :(

There is a black featherlite for 1350 w/ MM and slotted bolt... Too many choices.

What do you guys think?

Steelrat
09-09-2004, 10:47 PM
That fade featherlite viking used to be mine. Its beautiful, but be warned; when I had it, it was a blue type 3 anno. The next owner scratched it up, so the current owner had it reannoed. Reannoing a type 3 is tricky, so keep that in mind. If done poorly, the tolerances can be shot. I also know there was a gouge in the slot between the bolt and the ram that was caused by the first owner.

Personally, I am really liking the destructive stormtrooper.

RTDynaflow
09-09-2004, 11:04 PM
good god steelrat, is there a viking you haven't owned? I was looking through some old threads? What is that like 10 viking/excals so far?

I appreciate the heads up. 1550 seemed a little low for an "almost new" 04 feather swirled with all that shiznit. I like the stormtrooper, but it is a little plain. And not the best price. All he added was a JmJ and sticky 3s..?? Looks like it, That gun is like 1250 new from DC. Wish I could kind of merge the Highlander mid body milling w/ the DC bolt area with the highlander slant... if that makes any sense at all. Have it all custom milled cobalt to white fade..

If I had some photoshop skilz I would make a lil picture, but I sucks.

Steelrat
09-09-2004, 11:24 PM
good god steelrat, is there a viking you haven't owned? I was looking through some old threads? What is that like 10 viking/excals so far?

I appreciate the heads up. 1550 seemed a little low for an "almost new" 04 feather swirled with all that shiznit. I like the stormtrooper, but it is a little plain. And not the best price. All he added was a JmJ and sticky 3s..?? Looks like it, That gun is like 1250 new from DC. Wish I could kind of merge the Highlander mid body milling w/ the DC bolt area with the highlander slant... if that makes any sense at all. Have it all custom milled cobalt to white fade..

If I had some photoshop skilz I would make a lil picture, but I sucks.

5 Vikings, 4 Excals. Right now Im using an 04 featherlite excal, which is where I will stay for a while. Its superb.

JMJ had a green acid feather before they started upgrading their site, it looked NICE! I think the highlanders look okay, but that milling has really gotten old for me. I prefer elegant simplicty over the complex curves, and the little indentations on the top tube bug me because they look totally random. Truthfully, the destructive has the same issue with that odd hole in the bolt tube. Overall, the plain feather is my favorite design, and also the lightest. If I was in the market for a new viking, I would go straight to JMJ. But thats just me.

Ahhh, JMJ...

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/mcalhaney/P8090032.JPG

RTDynaflow
09-09-2004, 11:52 PM
Nice excal. Sexy. Personally I am completely undecided.... Thats just me though ;)

How does the stiffi switch kit compare to a pipe set? or freak (although for personal reasons I will never own one..)? or the Long bow? Barrel feedback..

Also found this one.
http://www.flagpull.com/AKA/tg%20fethvik%20lft.jpg

1360 shipped and fees paid. Only thing I don't like, the slingblade. Hate the way those feel. Can only see them good for raking...

Anyway. What is everyones personal favorites. Hate those little grooves you are talking about, but love the bolt hole on the DC, favorite part of those guns.

By the time I start buying all the little things..

Drop - 60
Barrel kit - 200
MM - 45
Razor trig - 25
Fittings - 20
350 for all the little extras ---
Brings it up to $1720... close to that Highlander for 1800...

Hmm... When I got back into the sport I swore I wouldn't spend over 1500 on a marker, ever. This is your fault steelrat ;)

Steelrat
09-10-2004, 12:21 AM
LOL, once you see the custom AKAs its game over. Go ahead and blame the messenger ;)

I dont like the feedneck on that feather at all. Its way too high. Halos (and you WILL need a halo) don't like tall feednecks. And the anno doesnt seem to match well, which is a problem with some type 3 annos. Finally, the newest feathers have a much more aggressively milled bolt tube, which is just as short as the one on the destructives.

I used to run an UL on my guns, but I have been using a stiffi switch kit, and the Uls are just collecting dust now. The switch kit is easily the best barrel I have ever used. Quiet, cleans well, and uber light.

RTDynaflow
09-10-2004, 12:50 AM
Down with the messenger! :p O yeah forgot the halo, theres an extra 150... I thought drag racing was expensive...

http://www.paintballarizona.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10161/normal_DSCF0017.JPG

What do you think? 1350 and has a rail for my Dynaflow. Only thing needed is a barrel set.

The stiffi only has a 2" rear, wouldn't this accomplish little? Doesn't the ball require around 6" to travel to make top speed? Wouldn't the step down so soon defeat teh entire purpose of sized inserts/rear sections??

Honestly guys I can't thank you enough. Hope I can hurry up and make a decision....

Steelrat
09-10-2004, 01:25 AM
I like that FL, but again, it appears to be the older style, with the longer bolt tube. And that feedneck looks huge! Plus, I think it has the stock blade, so tack on about $30 for a razor blade. But I like the black, its sharp.

With the switch, I have not noticed any issues with the small control bore. All I need it to do is to keep the ball from falling out, since mine is a closed-bolt marker. Honestly, I did not notice any differences in velocity jumping from the UL to the switch, and with our great efficiency, who would care anyways? ;) Its positives greatly outweigh any potential negatives. The PBN AKA forum just did a mass-purchase of switch kits, and everyone seems to be happy.

RTDynaflow
09-10-2004, 02:10 AM
Awesome. It's funn, I think I have my mind set on one of these and then I wake up in the morning doubting myself agian... I have it down to the black one, a dust blue feather w/ swirl (1400) and the DC stormtrooper. I want the DC the most, but I think it is way over priced.

New DC stormtrooper, $1,250
WAS,
Eye covers,
eyes,
no rider

His viking...
20kshots+ DC storm...
all of above
Sticky 3s - 25
JmJ - 35
Slotted bolt and stiffer springs... what does that run? 70?
----
$130
$1,250
----------
$1,380
- depreciation (100-200?)
It doesn't add up.
Unless I am missing some key part here....

Everyone I talk to loves their switch. So does all the pipe owners though.. and freak, except a few I know who torched their freak sets... Longbow I hear is good as well, but I don't ever see myself spending 300 on a barrel set.

BTW he has the JmJ, isnt on in that pic. I will probably take the black one if he will do 1200-1250. But that is as of 2 am tonight, tommrow I will want the blue swirl... :cuss:

Edit: Ooh, blue swirl is a late 04 model. Hmm..

ghost271
09-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Well I am one of those PBN members who bought one of the Switch Kits. I thought the FREAK was awesome.... The Switch Kicks it's *** !!!!!

I really like that black Viking alot. When I get my Excal I will have it annoed a shiny gloss black. Simple and sexy !!

Awesome. It's funn, I think I have my mind set on one of these and then I wake up in the morning doubting myself agian... I have it down to the black one, a dust blue feather w/ swirl (1400) and the DC stormtrooper. I want the DC the most, but I think it is way over priced.

New DC stormtrooper, $1,250
WAS,
Eye covers,
eyes,
no rider

His viking...
20kshots+ DC storm...
all of above
Sticky 3s - 25
JmJ - 35
Slotted bolt and stiffer springs... what does that run? 70?
----
$130
$1,250
----------
$1,380
- depreciation (100-200?)
It doesn't add up.
Unless I am missing some key part here....

Everyone I talk to loves their switch. So does all the pipe owners though.. and freak, except a few I know who torched their freak sets... Longbow I hear is good as well, but I don't ever see myself spending 300 on a barrel set.

BTW he has the JmJ, isnt on in that pic. I will probably take the black one if he will do 1200-1250. But that is as of 2 am tonight, tommrow I will want the blue swirl... :cuss:

Edit: Ooh, blue swirl is a late 04 model. Hmm..

RTDynaflow
09-10-2004, 10:10 PM
Cool, anyone tried the pipe kit? Or that other one with the inserts? Forgot what it is called. Warpig.com did a review on it. Looked pretty sweet...

Ok, for $1,200 + shipping... finger is on the buy button... think I should?
http://www.paintballarizona.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10161/normal_DSCF0017.JPG

It is between that one and the stormtrooper. 50-50 tie.

Steelrat
09-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Cool, anyone tried the pipe kit? Or that other one with the inserts? Forgot what it is called. Warpig.com did a review on it. Looked pretty sweet...

Ok, for $1,200 + shipping... finger is on the buy button... think I should?

It is between that one and the stormtrooper. 50-50 tie.

Do it, but get a razor blade. The pipe is loud as heck, and the tip of the first gen bends easily. The switch is a better kit. The other might be the scepter, which is well-liked.

RTDynaflow
09-10-2004, 10:47 PM
yay validation. must go buy now... he is including a razorblade trig.

I am still trying to find a switch owner who didnt like it....

Steelrat
09-10-2004, 10:52 PM
Remember, use ONLY the AKA extreme lube. Thats all you need! If you need any help, just shoot me a PM. And good luck!