PDA

View Full Version : Proto Switch let me down this weekend

scrumpy
09-05-2004, 09:00 PM
To start this off - If you drop $60 on a mask you can safely expect that it will not fog up and let you down in the middle of an improtant game right? well, apparently that's wrong. This weekend I played a 2 day event and both days my switch decided to be a little bastard and fog up on me. The worst thing is my jt spectra that cost me next to nothing hasn't fogged in its life - 3-4 years. Is something wrong here or what?

FragTek
09-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Time to get a Profiler :)

RogueFactoryKid
09-05-2004, 09:12 PM
If the spectra never fogged....What was wrong with it?

sig11
09-05-2004, 09:12 PM
$60?! thats all?!

My Flex 7 cost me $90. hehe. :)

Lee

team unwanted
09-05-2004, 09:25 PM
so true....

TraXeR
09-05-2004, 09:42 PM

Amen. I love mine.. and I have 2 other JT Masks as well, I'll likely never go back.

scrumpy
09-05-2004, 09:42 PM
The reason I got a new mask is that my spectra's lenses cracked while removing/replacing and I thought - for 25 I can replace the lense and have it bust on me while cleaning or I can double that and get a new stylish easy to clean hopefully reliable mask.
Time to get a profiler? Nah, I'm not going to drop half a ben on an other mask. But seriously though - has anyone else had this sort of a problem with their switch and why is it happening.

RedWeenie
09-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Everyone that i have talked to that owned a Proto say they have fogged up on them...

scrumpy
09-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Everyone that i have talked to that owned a Proto say they have fogged up on them...

At least I am not alone. Is the stupiddogg anti-fogg stuff any good, I might try that.

_tMAN
09-05-2004, 10:20 PM
My V-Forces Have Never let me down

Torbo
09-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Jt proflex is the way to go. the only thing close for me is a profiler, which is way more expensive.

hobbesTZ
09-05-2004, 10:36 PM
My Vforce shield fogs all the damn time...I have to tilt my head up and look down to get a clear view.

BlackWeenie
09-05-2004, 11:20 PM
yep, everyone i know who has tried a proto said they fog also. its not just yours, its a crappy product.

Miscue
09-05-2004, 11:25 PM
My Vforce shield fogs all the damn time...I have to tilt my head up and look down to get a clear view.

? I've never had a problem with any of my V-Forces. Strange.

Muzikman
09-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Proto does make a fan for it. That is sure to help.

RoboBeaver
09-06-2004, 12:49 AM
i have a thermal ize flex 7 and its never foggged up in the 9 months or so that ive had it

slade
09-06-2004, 10:22 AM
i have a invision and my friend has a proto... i told him to get a profiler but he got a proto :( both of our masks fog up about 1/4 of the games that we play, especially if its a long game. one thing that always helps for both of us is a headband. it cuts down on sweat so less water vapor is in the air, and it leaves a small crack at the bottom of the mask so you can get a bit more air circulation.

scrumpy
09-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Name brand mask fans are uber expensive, I might as well get an other new mask with that kind of money. As soon as I quit being lazy I might try to make my own.
I'll try using a headband again, but in the past it has caused foggage.
But I guess my lenses don't exactly fog - they just get condensation on them, like a layer of water that can be wiped off, it's really frusterating to have to do that every half our in long games.

Beemer
09-06-2004, 01:53 PM
To start this off - If you drop $60 on a mask you can safely expect that it will not fog up and let you down in the middle of an improtant game right? well, apparently that's wrong. This weekend I played a 2 day event and both days my switch decided to be a little bastard and fog up on me. The worst thing is my jt spectra that cost me next to nothing hasn't fogged in its life - 3-4 years. Is something wrong here or what?

How many JT lenses did you replace in 4yrs????????? Thermal or single lens??

Is the Proto Thermal or single lens??

How do you take care of your lens? [follow distructions] you have to be careful with the inside of the lens if it needs cleaning. [micro cloth only] or dab with damp cloth no rubbing.

I used a new proto[thermal] all day at ShatnerBall yesterday. Temp 85 to 90, HIGH humidity.
Sweat band and bandanna around forehead soaking wet and sweat running down my face and not one bit of fogging or moisture on lens.

Thanks out to Special Ops, www.specialopspaintball.com for the game day deal.

? I've never had a problem with any of my V-Forces. Strange.

Indeed

scrumpy
09-06-2004, 01:56 PM
I didn't replace them, I just took them out for cleaning the first time I got gogged and crack they went. I'll keep that micro cloth thing in mind, where can I pick one up?

Edit: and both of my masks have thermal lenses.

DiSoRdeR
09-06-2004, 02:57 PM
I was thinking about picking up a proto switch, would you recommend them at all? And is fogging up the only reason why you dont like them?

SpecialBlend2786
09-06-2004, 04:54 PM
I have a proto switch with the newer thermal lenses. It works perfectly for me. My V-forces never fogged either....probably cause they were so big air could circulate better(?)

FromTheBack
09-06-2004, 05:48 PM
I got a profiler recently and I have found it to fog with any moisture around, while my Pro flexes always seem to work well with moisture. I believe the flex is thermal but the lense on the V is the one which came with them. I guess those arent thermal and that is the reason right? My friend has this problem too with his

scrumpy
09-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Disorder - Other than the fogging that happens occasionally during really long games (as little as it happens it is damned annoying though, be warned), they are really awesome. They are uber comfortable, have a wide range of vision, are a breeze to switch out/clean the lenses, and look sweet. I'd still recomend them.

DiSoRdeR
09-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Do you know if you can wear glasses with them? Also which version do you have, E.L. or F.S.?

scrumpy
09-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Um, I wasn't aware there were different models - what's the difference? I have the first ones I believe, they cost $60. Umm....I'll go try them out with my glasses, I haven't even tried it yet.

scrumpy
09-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Yeah, my glasses fit with them on.

DiSoRdeR
09-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Ok I will have to pick up a pair now, I didnt know there was different versions until recently. Here is a link (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=YfoKzn4TAaEKzz8ubpHKZnTanheTHZOol8c=?Cat egoryName=paintball-goggles-and-safety-gear-goggles-proto-goggles) to show you the difference, E.L. is the cheap one and other is the F.S.

ghost271
09-06-2004, 09:15 PM
I bought a profiler first and the second game i played with it I was fogging mad crazy like. I pretty much packed up after the next few games cause I couldn't see ****e. I returned it and I got a ProFlex as the replacement. I fog like a MFer and I have had zero problems with the Flex. I actually think the Flex foam feels nicer than the Profiler as well.

Enemy
09-06-2004, 09:50 PM
in all the years ive been using my spectra with thremals i have never had a fog issue. the sweat will blind me before the mask does! oh and replacement lenses for my spectra are only 15 bucks and i replace them once every 3-4 months!!

RT pRo AuToMaG
09-06-2004, 10:03 PM
i have a invision and my friend has a proto... i told him to get a profiler but he got a proto :( both of our masks fog up about 1/4 of the games that we play, especially if its a long game. one thing that always helps for both of us is a headband. it cuts down on sweat so less water vapor is in the air, and it leaves a small crack at the bottom of the mask so you can get a bit more air circulation.

Are you serious about the invision, or are you just saying that? Everyone that I know who has an invision, including myself, has never had a problem with fogging at all. I have had mine for 2 years alrieady and it never fogged up once on the field.

Bob_da_Splatman
09-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Dude, two words 'Skul Mask' nothing like them!!
oh and my brother has invision and hasn't delt with any foggin'
and as for the spectra another two words 'gotta lov'm'....and I thought that the jts your spose to change lenses at least once a year.

Just my opinion! :headbang:

gc82000
09-06-2004, 10:41 PM
I thought that the jts your spose to change lenses at least once a year.

Just my opinion! :headbang:

Actually you are supposed to change the lens out every 6 months. If scratches are deep, direct hits to the lens or any if cracks are visible, you're supposed to change the lenses imediately. Good advice. it is better to lose some money the to lose an eye.

I need to change my lenses at least every other months on my Prosheild. Since I play either mid or front I usually only get hit in the gun or mask. But man, my team is sponsored by Proto, and I am the only one that has yet to buy a Switch system. I hope they are not that bad.

scrumpy
09-06-2004, 10:45 PM
They really aren't that bad at all, but it fogs up if I don't keep moving constantly, that means at scenario games it lets me down. I think I'll have to buy some stupidogg antifogg, by the way, does anyone have a link for that I can't find it?

Duke Henry
09-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Well, I too own a Proto Switch, and the only fogging I encounter is when my glasses fog. Every goggle system I have owned has given me this problem.

Goggle fan is the only way around it for me...

Beemer
09-07-2004, 03:02 AM
The worst thing is my jt spectra that cost me next to nothing hasn't fogged in its life - 3-4 years. Is something wrong here or what?

Well there ya go. You should have just gotten a new JT lens 20 or so bucks, 40 less then new something or a whole new JT set.[50 or 55 bucks] Why, because it worked for you.

I have been using JT for 15 yrs and I never tried anything else because I never had ANY trouble. The reason for something new is because Im tired of the old school lens tab BS.
Was going to try the JT FX10 first but got a good deal on the Proto with extra lens. If these dont pass the test, which they have so far I will be back to the JT's.

Eather you dont play much or youre a paintBall god to take 1 gog hit in 3 years. To be SAFE the Manufacture recommends changeing lens once a year or after a direct hit of 15 to 10 feet or less. Some say 10 some say 15 and you had the same lens for 3 or 4 yrs or did i misunderstand? Be safe there is no price for your eye sight.

Peace Out
Beemer

scrumpy
09-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah, for the first few years of that lense's life I didn't play paintball that much, and after that I was a god apparently, but I'm done playing with that pair of lenses because I realized quite awhile ago that they were quite unsafe. Either way I just installed a fan in my proto, and a friend of mine (scuby from here) installed one on his pmi goggles set. I'll post up the pics soon, check it out when I do.

Maclete
09-07-2004, 08:56 PM
hah.... my invision fogs when I look at them.... They will last a 3-man game but thats about it. I bought the fan, but really noisy. My scott goggles have never fogged, v-force dont really fog on me, but they condense.... moisture, not fog.... i guess i may pass on protos too....

scrumpy
09-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah moisture fog - same difference but that's accually what my proto does, it wipes away but it's so freakin annoying.