PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Question

Archangel Kid
09-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Quick dumb question, are video cards in laptops the same as in PC's?

Hairball
09-06-2004, 07:24 AM
No. There are "mobile" version of some video cards. Generally the mobile cards are less powerful too.

Archangel Kid
09-06-2004, 08:21 AM
well what I'm wondering is if my dad gets a new laptop, would I be able to switch out video cards. Because he won't need any special video card and I do :D

CodeMA
09-06-2004, 12:45 PM
you CAN use mobile vers of vid cards in Desktop machines, for sure, however, its a lil hard to cram a large card into a little laptop :)

Quite a few people use the mobile Vidcards in there desktops for over clocking purposes, due to the fact they run much much cooler and such, makeing them safer to overclock...

Python14
09-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I've seen a few people use mobile cards in PCs, but the benefits of an overclocked mobile really aren't much better than a mildly oced PC card.

CPUs are a different story.

Tron
09-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Links to these mobile cards being used in desktops machines? And what's the point in overclocking an already underclocked card. That's the reason they run cooler. :rolleyes:

BrockSampson
09-06-2004, 06:24 PM
I would think that even the fastest mobile card would absolutely cripple your desktop machine, unless you don’t have a video card at all right now. How would you even get it in there? It’s not like they’ve got AGP slots or anything. Most laptops, except for some of the newer ones, had the video hard-wired to the mobo, and even the newer ones with changeable cards use some sort of proprietary slot I believe…
I could be wrong however, so feel free to correct what I've said if I am.

Python14
09-06-2004, 10:06 PM
I've never seen it in person, but from what I hear, some Mobos support his proprietory slot.

But nevertheless, I would take a stock PC card over an overclocked mobile card.

RADEON!

Tron
09-06-2004, 10:42 PM
I've never seen it in person, but from what I hear, some Mobos support his proprietory slot.

But nevertheless, I would take a stock PC card over an overclocked mobile card.

RADEON!

Would like to see these sounds interesting. And I would get an nvidia GT for the price and speed it can't be beat.

Python14
09-06-2004, 11:59 PM
I will admit, for the time being, Nvidia has it over ATI. Once my 9800 pro get's the better of me, I'm probably gonna get a 6800 gt......but I'm not gonna admit I like it.

But eitherway, don't get too comfy. This battle between ATI and Nvidia has gone on forever....and it's always back and forth with every gen. of games.

Tron
09-08-2004, 04:42 AM
I will admit, for the time being, Nvidia has it over ATI. Once my 9800 pro get's the better of me, I'm probably gonna get a 6800 gt......but I'm not gonna admit I like it.

But eitherway, don't get too comfy. This battle between ATI and Nvidia has gone on forever....and it's always back and forth with every gen. of games.

Well ATI only had the lead with the 9x00 series and Nvidia took it back on most everything with the 6x00 series. I am glad though with Nvidia destroying everyone since the TNT the market needed a push. Everything gets faster and cheaper a lot quicker then it used to.