PDA

View Full Version : Buzzard VS. Phantom

rjvemt1
09-06-2004, 02:17 PM
My old Line SI Bushmaster has finally worn out (13 years!) and I am looking for a new stock class pump gun. I am looking at either a Buzzard or custom Phantom. I would love to here form anyone with experience with both and has an opinion. I have used a phantom but I wanrt too know if the Buzzard is worth the extra money. I am already leaning that way just for the bragging rites of owning a Carter, but i can get the custom Phantom for half the cost of the Buzzard! LMK>

DiSoRdeR
09-06-2004, 02:27 PM
If cost if an issue than go for the phantom. I have never owned or used a buzzard, but they are some of the nicest pumps I have seen. Although you can have a sweet phantom setup for half the price of a buzzard. The only way I think you will be able to decide is how much you are willing to spend ;)

rjvemt1
09-06-2004, 02:36 PM
I got a lot of the info I think I need from a post called "DYE pump" but I am gonna leave this up just incase anyone has anything to add. Thanks ya'll.

Listerine
09-06-2004, 02:43 PM
From what I have heard, Phantoms and Buzzards are equal on performance, it's just a matter of what you think looks best; and it'll take you a while to get a Buzzard too, because they are totally custom made by Earon and there's quite a few people who want em'.

If I were you, i'd go with the Phantom, get Mike to get you a custom anno, and buy a barrel kit for it or something. :headbang:

DiSoRdeR
09-06-2004, 02:50 PM
If I were you, i'd go with the Phantom, get Mike to get you a custom anno, and buy a barrel kit for it or something.
Yeah I agree on that. Buzzards are really nice looking, but thats about all there is to them. Both will preform about the same. Just go for a Phantom, get a cool lookin anno, and a few barrels to match. Once I finish building my mag im going to turn my Phantom in to a Micro and get a sweet anno :D Once you get one there better be pics ;)

Sparq
09-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Buzzards have slots cut in the sides of the body for the pump arms. The phantom has a hole milled into the front of the trigger frame. If you play dirty, it'll be easier to keep grit out of a Phantom's internals compared to a Buzzard.

Also, there are alot of custom aftermarket parts for phantoms these days, and the modular bodies are great...

Liquidflame947
09-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Both Buzzards and Phantoms are Nelson based markers. In regard to perfomance, they are going to be near identical. The main appeal of the Buzzard is the fact that it is a custom marker. It also have a much smoother pump stroke than most pumps. You have to ask yourself, is a smoother pump stroke worth 300 more dollars? I personally like Phantoms better. Parts and upgrades are much more available.

rjvemt1
09-06-2004, 03:10 PM
the point about the pump arm slots is a good point, thats one of the things i really dont like about my bushmaster.

50 cal
09-06-2004, 04:23 PM
I've played with a Buzzard a few times. Great guns. I own 2 Phantoms. I like the Phantoms for the ease of changing its configuration to a different style of play.

I would choose the Phantom any day.

Got_Paint
09-06-2004, 06:01 PM
There are 3 major differences between them

Wheight, pump stroke, and cosmetics

Buzzard will be heavier, but I like that in a stocker, a nice stable platform to shoot from.

The buzzard has a better pump stroke.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I like the buzzard a lot more.

If you want a buzzard, my buddy has a national account and can get you a two color faded buzzard for $605 opposed to the single color Buzzard direct from DYE at almost 700.

PM me if you're interested.

angelpena
09-06-2004, 06:47 PM
The Carter will have a pump stroke as smooth as your SI, the Phantom is a little harder, but not much, I have 2 Phantoms, and haven't felt brave enuff to shell out the money for a Carter, But it is on the list of guns I want.

Click on the names in my Sig. for my phantoms and SI

toymyster
09-06-2004, 06:49 PM
For the money you can't beat a Phantom, I love mine!!! Buzzards are beautiful guns, but they are significantly heavier than a Phantom!!! Much more expensive, too!!!

Fred
09-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Bang for Buck, Phantom hands down.

The Carters are heavier (SS body and barrel), which makes for more stability, but the cost is rather extreme.
The Carter tolerances are so tight though that they tear themselves apart... lots of wear on the aluminum pump assembly.

They have style for sure, and are very solid, but the Phantom is a better buy IMO.

---Fred

FragTek
09-07-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm gonna have to go with the Phantom, they have some really awesome custom setups avaialbe, and the custom ano's are sick as well. A lot less than a Buzzard and performance of the Phantom is top-notch as well.

coyote
09-07-2004, 12:36 PM
I have owned an shot both. (

The Phantom...

Costs less. Aluminum body (lighter, slighly less gas efficient). An all around nice pump.

The Buzzard...

Style points. With $1000 plus common for a factory electro $605 for a buzzard seems reasonable to me. The pumpstroke and trigger are smoother than a Phantom. As far as the phantom being more "versatile", you can get multiple feeds for a buzzard too. Earon is semi retired. In a short while you won't be able to get buzzards any more.

If you don't feel bad spending over $600 on yourself get the buzzard. the is no such thing as buyer remorse on that purchase.

Why anyone here would rate one over the other without shooting both blows my mind.