PDA

View Full Version : silencers good/bad

BTAutoMag
10-25-2001, 10:08 PM
what are some sites that tell you how to make paintball silencers or sell you paintball silencers? i know their tournament illegal but i woulndn't use it for that. i just want a silencer that will make my gun so quiet youll hear the balls splat before youll hear the gun

Load SM5
10-25-2001, 10:27 PM
They're not only not tourney legal but may be illegal to own. Check with your local ordinance about silencer's on firearms. If you can't put them on a real gun, paintball guns are right out.

Army
10-25-2001, 10:37 PM
Unless you are an adult and have recieved the required BATF permits and paid all the fees and taxes to own one, or even possess the parts to make one, do not even THINK of making a suppressor for your gun.

It is flat out illegal otherwise to have one for real forearms AND paintball guns.:cool:

BTAutoMag
10-25-2001, 10:47 PM
well ive heard that it can be legal if you cant fix it onto a real gun but only a paintball gun.

Magadeth
10-26-2001, 01:35 AM
I didn't vote in the poll, because I don't want to encourage anyone. You can in most states construct a barrel shroud/ supressor for you PAINTBALL marker a long as it is made in such a way that it will not work on a real gun. Your best bet is to make it fit around a ported barrel and make it out of materials that will not withstand the rigors of a real firearm. I will not give instructions here, but if you want you can pm me or email me and I will explain how to do it in a way that it is impossible to use for a firearm.

Thordic
10-26-2001, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by BTAutoMag
well ive heard that it can be legal if you cant fix it onto a real gun but only a paintball gun.

I read an article about this on one of the sites, it may have been warpig, but I could be wrong. In the article were letters between the author and th ATF. (Now that I think about it, I think it wasn't Warpig).

Anyway, yes, it IS technically legal to own one that could not supress a real gun. The problem is, the ATF is kinda anal about what that means. The author of that article made several prototypes which he believed could never supress a real firearm (and in reality, he was probably right). The ATF, on the other hand, disagreed, and told him that he could not market the product, because it was illegal. I think they kept the prototype as well.

In other words, just don't do it. Someone from the ATF could conceivable show up and confiscate it, and at worst could arrest/prosecute you.

Remember, if you want to get technical, a pillow is a firearms supressor.

It's not worth it.

shartley
10-26-2001, 06:32 AM
I have heard the arguments both ways (leaving out any legal issues), and still can not see the point.

When in the middle of a heated match, with yelling, running, your heart pounding in your ears, your heavy breathing, etc. What is the point? To gain a little edge?

What edge? After your first string of shots people will be looking for you anyway. Shoot and move, shoot and move. It is not like real warfare, it is usually timed, and the team that wins is never the one that sits still.

I say it is a novelty addition to a marker, but one that will not give a serious player the edge he/she is looking for... at least not in regular play. Now if you were at someone's property out in the woods and went more "combat" style with no time limits, no capture the flag play, and it was "total elimination".. sure, it might help. But I doubt it would help more than a good marker and halfway decent skills would.

Just my .02

Oh, and Thordic is right on the money. You have to keep in mind that the ATF does not want to start down that slippery slope. And even more so with an item that is clearly NOT needed in the sport of paintball. You can't blame them for not allowing it.. unless YOU want to be the one to keep track of this type of thing and do the enforcing. And I don't know many who would want that job. So, it is best to not even mess with it.

bofh
10-26-2001, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Army
It is flat out illegal otherwise to have one for real forearms AND paintball guns.:cool:

But, but my forearms are already pretty slient, why would I want to slience them?

Seriously, I can see the use in Scenario play. I can also see why the ATF would rather not have anything like them out in the wild.

I just use a really long barrel that's mostly porting, it's fairly quiet, and good enough for me, since you can track paintballs visually... like little gelatin tracers.

shartley
10-26-2001, 07:18 AM
LOL I did not catch that. :D

I guess you would need to silence forearms sometimes. Have you ever seen an old Kung-Fu Movie or the like? Every time they move their arms it makes a "swoosh"ing noise. So, I guess if you were a Ninja, you would want that noise silenced. :D

Stand back guys! He's ARMED!

bofh
10-26-2001, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by shartley
Stand back guys! He's ARMED!

I think I figured out why few people are fond of your posts, shartley... :)

Trunnion
10-26-2001, 07:46 AM
silencer's aren't worth the trouble. get a heavily ported barrel. i've got a 16" AA and an 18" boomstick, and both quiet the gun rather well. you don't have to have a silent gun, just one that's quiet enough for the enemy to have difficulty pinpointing. besides, once they see where the paintball is coming from you're found out anyway. sound suppressors used by the military for sniping rifles work on the same principle: the loud crack of a rifle is easy to pinpoint, but if i can make a .308 winchester sound like a .22 LR, it's going to be harder to figure out where the shot came from. so i'd say get a long AA or boomie and forget the silencer

FaSSt
10-26-2001, 10:32 AM
Another one:

Ballbreaks would be very hard to clean, even after a game.

Plus there is that whole pesky felony thing...

joeyjoe367
10-26-2001, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by shartley
I have heard the arguments both ways (leaving out any legal issues), and still can not see the point.

When in the middle of a heated match, with yelling, running, your heart pounding in your ears, your heavy breathing, etc. What is the point? To gain a little edge?

What edge? After your first string of shots people will be looking for you anyway. Shoot and move, shoot and move. It is not like real warfare, it is usually timed, and the team that wins is never the one that sits still.

Yup. Quiet Guns don't win games:cool:

BTAutoMag
10-26-2001, 06:22 PM
well me and a friend made up a way of playing. we each go into the game with pumps (trracers) and 10 balls each. we hunt each other. but the games last usualy 20-40 min each and usualy only about 4 total shots are fired. once ive even shot at him 5 times without him seeing me. silencers would come in handy in that sort of play. considering that a trracer sounds more like a shotgun then a paintball gun. i've tried different silencer designes and even had our local police officer play with us while we use them. i live in norman rockwell usa with only one policeman who knows everyone by first name, and he plays paintball. i dont think he will "bust" me if he's guilty of it too. and besides he has the idea that if it cant silence his gun we're allowed to use it. i've made one out of 7 or 8 that have silenced his gun and he wouldn't let me play with that one but at least he's lookin out for us.

CESF_Specter
10-26-2001, 06:26 PM
if you want to do it, move out of north america. My friend is from poland and use to buy hand grenades for 50 cents american when he was 7. With that in mind i dont think there would be a silencer law there! :D but do not build one int he states or canada, its useless and pointless! ive tried to make one and the thing is you need some fat stuff around your barrel which would make you a huge *** target in the end.

PAINTBALLA01
10-26-2001, 07:38 PM
i tried to make one a while back. i followed all the directions perfectly. i didn't work. my gun was just as loud and i makes it less accurate

~WarpedRT~
10-27-2001, 07:34 AM
I have a silencer, or barrel extension, as you should put it on my Maverik. It does make it a whole lot quiter, and it makes my pump alot more accurate. IT was a professionally made one, from Willy Pete. The thing is really sweet, and they arent that hard to make. Mine is pretty compact, and very nice and professional looking. My brother -in-law put one on his VM68, and put a foregrip for where the Co2 tank goes, and ran a hose from that to the ASA which was attached to a new forgrip in front of the grip frame, and lastly, he stuck on a metal stock. It looks like an AK-47.

Yeah, if you want, you can e-mail me, and i can tell you how they are made. Just some simple parts from Low's.

Oh, and I think you may be able to see a picture of it at my site, in the gear section.

Http://routinedestruction.cjb.net

sajohnston
10-27-2001, 10:03 AM
I have a couple of silencers for my paintguns that I have had for years. One I made myself, the other I bought. They don't add any marked advantage for most games; paintballs travel so slowly over so short a distance that after one shot anyone with any sense knows where it came from silencer or not.

I used to use them with my Phantom and it did make it very quiet and easy to sight (long gun). I have used this combo coupled with a red-dot sight as a "sniper rife" in scenario games and an occasional rec game. The way most games are played now the extra lenght it adds will only get in your way.

As for the illegal portion, who knows. There is no way either of them would be even slightly effective on any of my firearms.

toymyster
04-11-2002, 12:53 PM
IMHO, silencers on paintball guns are the most useless thing anyone could ever devise!!! Needless to say, I did not vote!!! What is the point of having 6 to 10 extra inches added to your barrel anyway???? And how much of a "noise signature" does a paintball gun have to begin with????

BTAutoMag
04-11-2002, 03:23 PM
who poped this thread back up. its been dead for 5 or 6 months...

DOWNWITHANGELS
04-11-2002, 04:45 PM
Judging by the dates, I would say toymyster

toymyster
04-11-2002, 05:33 PM
Hey, wasn't me!!! I just saw it up near the top and jumped in!!!

BTAutoMag
04-11-2002, 05:53 PM
yea somebody could of voted to get it to the top...

Rocp15126
04-11-2002, 10:04 PM
Definately check with your local law-enforcement to be sure before making one! There are a lot of federal, state and local laws that differ. While your state might say o.k. your local juristiction might have a ordinace prohibiting silencers. By the same token, just shooting or carrying a paintball gun in some places can get you into trouble because they are considered firearms in those areas!

I just say these things because its better to ask then to get into trouble. For the record though, If it's what floats your boat then cool!

DOWNWITHANGELS
04-11-2002, 10:16 PM
Sorry about that toymyster.

FooTemps
04-12-2002, 01:32 AM
lol, I never voted in this thread... Well, I might as well give it an opinion... lol.

I think silencers don't give THAT much of an advantage in paintball. Most pb guns don't have very distinctive sounds. It's hard to accurately pinpoint where someone is shooting from. I know you can tell a general direction but it still doesn't really give you a good general idea of the location on most fields. I actually like a REALLY LOUD gun lol...