PDA

View Full Version : chemistry question about propanol

e mag
09-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know why 1-propanol and 2-propanol, both C3H8O, have different boiling points? I know it has to do with the shape of the molecule, but i dont know why that is.
http://www.zum.de/Faecher/Ch/SN/C9/Alkohole/Bilder/1-Propanol,2-Propanol.gif

Stix
09-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Resonsance?

e mag
09-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Resonsance?
I dont think. I think it is because 1-propanol is a straight chain molecule and 2-propanol is cyclic, so 2-propanol has a lower boiling point. not really sure though, thats all i can find.

Thordic
09-07-2004, 07:46 PM
It has to do with the hydrogen bonding. My dad is a chemical engineer, I asked him for you. He said "It has to do with the hydrogen bonding..." then started drawing on a napkin and babbling about specific heats so I walked away. Sorry, thats all you get :)

xmetal2001
09-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Because the hydrogen bond makes the molecule more polar, resulting in stronger bonds between the it and other molecules...

Actually you should ignore that, I'm making it up as I go along :confused:

edited for clarity, even though its wrong.

polorboy
09-07-2004, 08:23 PM
The boiling point of any substance has to do with how much energy is required to break the bonds of a chemical compound in order to release the Oxygen in the molecules to form O2 (Oxygen gas) in this case. It is really the energy required to break the bonds, and Hydrogen bonds in a large number can be very strong (take DNA for example, the two seperate chains are connected via Hydrogen bonds). So the propanol with the higher boiling point has the stronger bonds, thus requires more energy, in the form of heat, to break the bonds to release the Oxygen.

Warewolf50
09-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Because the hydrogen bond in the second molecule makes it more polar, resulting in stronger bonds between the other molecules...

Actually you should ignore that, I'm making it up as I go along :confused:

Ha that coming from Mr. I Took AP chem

e mag
09-07-2004, 08:41 PM
thanks, guess the hydrogen bond thing is right, someone in my class was saying something about that.