PDA

View Full Version : Rotc?

Mr.mike
09-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Ok, so now im a junior in high school and i actually have to think about what i want to do.
I've been looking into the Air force ROTC, while also taking a engineering major or something like that. I'm wondering if any of you have gone through ROTC and if you could tell me about it like if i take it i absolutely have to join and stuff like that. Im also thinking about waiting around alittle while to get a job and save up my money to avoid too much finantial troube while attending, would that in anyway affect how i get in or anything like that.
Thanks.

Onryou
09-07-2004, 04:00 PM
I was in AFJROTC in high school for four years, and so long as you don't have an *** as an instructor its usually an easy grade and it should teach you valuable leadership skills. So if you can put up with wearing the uniform (i only had to wear mine once a week) its worth the time.

CRog075
09-07-2004, 04:03 PM
When I was at basic training this past summer for the Army, a couple of room mates were in ROTC. They liked it, but it did not sound like my type of thing. They actually got yelled at more there than at basic, and they are more strict at ROTC then at basic. So, its up to you. I'm glad I didnt do ROTC and just became enlisted.

1ofkind
09-07-2004, 04:12 PM
I knew a girl that was in it, she hated it ;)

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
09-07-2004, 05:07 PM
which one would be more sound for a bio major, navy rotc or afrotc? im looking at afrotc cause its offered at way more colleges... im not sure right now

reese0351
09-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Most of the services are basically the same. If you're an engineer in the Marine Corps you know just as much as an engineer anywhere else. Military is all personal preference, just like paintball guns. Just because one person likes it, doesn't mean you will. Also, AFROTC at one college won't be the same as AFROTC somewhere else.

Mr.mike
09-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks again guys, and when i finish it do i have to join the military right away, or do i get to choose when i join?
Also how many years do i go to ROTC classes?

Remington
09-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks again guys, and when i finish it do i have to join the military right away, or do i get to choose when i join?
Also how many years do i go to ROTC classes?

Don't quote me on this (I'm sure if Army or devildog or someone similar saw this thread, they would be able to clear everything up in a heartbeat) but I believe when you join ROTC, you do it for the duration of college. Then, when college is over you go on to serve in the Reserves (maybe it's straight to the field, I'm not sure) for the standard 4 years of service (although I think I recall seeing a 2 year deal?). Anyway. Obviously I've second guessed myself a couple times so maybe you should just wait for someone else to respond. :tard: :p