PDA

View Full Version : Smaller E-Mag?

Panzerr
10-26-2001, 09:31 AM
The E-Mag is a great product and all, but I play front and am constantly looking for new products that will increase lighten my mag and make it smaller...Now if AGD were to come out with a smaller, lighter version of the E Mag that placed the battery pack in the grip frame, I would buy one, but until then I'll stick with my reactive trigger.

Why doesn't AGD come out with just an E-Frame? Heck, if a Boo-Yaah can do it, why not AGD?

BlackVCG
10-26-2001, 09:42 AM
AGD is working on cutting down the weight on the current E-Mags. If you'll notice, the colored E-Mags no longer have the hump in the back of the frame and they milled out as much excess material in the rail and frame as possible. The next step is to change to an aluminum mainbody, which is what should be on the "Trap-Door Feed E-Mag". As far as battery placement, it's pretty much has to stay up front. The only other thing to do is change it to a round battery pack, but that's not as easy as it seems. The E-Mag solenoid needs that 16.8V to be able to work properly, so reducing to something the size of a 9V battery isn't feasible. To be honest, the E-Mag isn't all that heavy. I play front and I actually like a heavy gun. To me a heavy gun is more solid and stable. That's just me, but I have no problem with a 10lb gun. As far as size is concerned, the E-Mag is no longer without a barrel than any of the other electros.

Webmaster
10-26-2001, 09:56 AM
Why cant AGD make a slap on grip if booyah and center flag can?

Becuase AGD doesnt make stuff that may or may not work. If it says AGD on it, people expect it to work and not have to screw around with it. The add on grip frames simply dont work as well with every gun. some do - some dont - its a matter of dealing with 10 years of mags and the minor changes between them.

Panzerr
10-26-2001, 10:21 AM
To me a heavy marker makes it more difficult to snap shoot, hold in funky positions for long periods of time and sprint with. I'm aware of the aluminum body and valve, what I'm concerned about is the electronics of the E Mag. So reduce the size of the solenoid and put a smaller battery in it, then slap it on a mag and sell it. I'm not convinced that it can't work on a consistent basis.

FaSSt
10-26-2001, 10:25 AM
Please DON'T MAKE THE BATTERY ROUND!

I love the way the current one grips, and a round one will not be as aesthetically pleasing. (Well, to me, at least!)

Whew.

Sorry, but I really like the way the battery is.

And as far as making the E-Mag smaller? It's one of the smallest guns out there, and it's definitely the the smallest high performance one.

It could be lighter, though, but it looks like AGD is working on that...

bofh
10-26-2001, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Panzerr
I'm not convinced that it can't work on a consistent basis.

Ah, But Tom is convinced.

If/When he changes his mind, production is likely to follow shortly afterward.

Panzerr
10-26-2001, 10:33 AM
To clarify, when I say 'make the e-mag smaller and lighter', I mean the electronics and working components of the electronic grip and battery pack.

Gunga
10-26-2001, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Panzerr
What I'm concerned about is the electronics of the E Mag. So reduce the size of the solenoid and put a smaller battery in it, then slap it on a mag and sell it. I'm not convinced that it can't work on a consistent basis.

We (me and some other guys at the Bad Boyz Toyz pig roast event) asked Tom about this very subject. From what I remember, TK said that the EMag solenoid is the size it is for a number of reasons:

1 - solenoids heat up a lot when they're operating. As heat increases, the electrical resistance increases, thus increasing the power needed to actuate the solenoid. So that gives you the big battery and larger solenoid.

2 - Sure, Benchmark & Boo-Yah get away with a smaller battery and solenoid, but at the cost of long term reliability. If you've been on AO for a while, I'm sure you've seen the numerous horror stories involving the non-AGD electronic grips.

If there's one thing AGD is anal about, it's reliability and making sure something is made right before releasing it to the public. Just look at the whole 4.5k psi Flatline deal going on now.

3 - and a bunch of others that I can't recall right now. :)

Tom also mentioned that they're investigating relocating the battery, perhaps below the grip frame. After all, there's plenty of space down there between your gun & your N2 tank. Or a conformal battery that would fit along the body tube.

Miscue
10-26-2001, 12:56 PM
I figure if the EMag is too heavy for me... time to hit the weights.

DYE-BaLLeR
10-26-2001, 02:43 PM
u say put a battery in the grip?you cant. the emag still has to be able to work off normal mode and theres not enough room in the grip for 2 9v's AND a trigger rod and trigger

CESF_Specter
10-26-2001, 05:34 PM
:rolleyes: you ppl and your weight issues! if you cant hold the gun hit the gym! jeez but if you are lazy and really want to shave the weight down do it yourself by taking off the battery pack and getting a neoprene tank cover, then put your battery in the tank cover and extend the wires to go into the gun! i designed and built an electrogrip for my ray2 and thats how i had to do it!

SIGSays
10-26-2001, 07:09 PM
yeah, you gotta be really weak or something.....

i could prolly snap shoot with a 30 pound gun and maybe even a 50 and be really tired half way through the day

Trunnion
10-26-2001, 07:35 PM
heh. 30lb gun. that'd be cool. it'd be like snap shooting a BAR : )

Dubstar112
10-26-2001, 11:35 PM
Wow, I hate to be so anal about this..... but if you don't agree with how the E-Mag is lay'd out and expect AGD to make a lower quality gun... I suggest looking at somthing different.. like an Angel..(not tryin to bash the angel here)

Tom and rest of AGD have worked very hard to resolve every issue that makes the E-Mag ergonomic... if you look that word up... it wont fit everyone.. but will fit most everyone on average.

I know people that are die hard Mag users.. and wouldn't touch an E-Mag... so they looked at the Hyperframe.. after all they liked ther mag and just made use of the high rate of fire.

Give it a shot.. I played with an E-Mag for one game (hybrid mode of course :)) and went for the flag off the break.. I had no problems with the weight- minus the fact of my build(6'3), but the guy's E-Mag I used, he was short skinny and had no problems lugging it around

emag
flatline 68
ss Freak back
warp
full hopper

= estimated 10 pounds... What I would do for the weight issue is grab a 10(or a little heavier) pound weight and on a day that you are around your house all day just carry it around... curl it, control movement(swing)... and work in the weight factor.. its not hard

nutz
10-27-2001, 12:13 AM
in stead ok carring around a weight y not just carry ur emag around it works much better and u can even practice ur snapshoting while taking a leak....

Dubstar112
10-27-2001, 12:22 AM
well.. i was thinking more along the lines that he didnt have and he could get used to the weight before he gets it

Panzerr
10-27-2001, 06:51 AM
Get used to the weight? Carry around a dumb-bell? I've been playing with a mag for five years, I don't think I need to carry around a weight. I've put my time in the Army and know what the difference between an 8.5 pound M16 and a 26 pound M60 is (unloaded of course). What I'm talking about is a slight difference in the weight that fits my personal liking. I want my Mag to be feather-light. It is easier to manipulate. Easier to snap-shoot. Quicker on the draw. Not to mention easier to hold in a strange position for long periods of time while you wait for that center guy that didn't see you move up stick his *** out. If I can get shave three ounces off my setup, I will. Yes, it is anal. What the h*&^ is three ounces to you? Nothing, but to me, I'll take every little bit I can to help me be successful. It's my personal preference and that is not the issue here.

It's our duty as consumers to question AGD. You don't just blindly trust that a company does what is best. I've dealt with AGD for years and know that they are excellent with quality and customer support, but I still believe they need to be questioned.

FaSSt
10-27-2001, 09:08 PM
It's not that my E-Mag is too heavy in absolute terms. But in relative terms, yes, it's heavy, unless you are comparing it to a Shocker or something like that.

For instance, my fiancee flat out refuses to play with it, because of its weight.

And as for me - I love it, BUT I do wish it was lighter.

For you military guys - it's like the difference between an M16 and a FN FAL. You WILL feel the difference at the end of the day UNLESS you are sitting on your rear the whole time.

Maybe some people like to play without moving too much - that's perfectly OK. But I do like to move when I can in order to get a better position, so any weight savings are appreciated.

Again, I LOVE my Emag, and it's not that it's too heavy. It's that it COULD ultimately be lighter with milling, etc.