PDA

View Full Version : Torsional Modulus of springs

CHK6
10-26-2001, 11:58 AM
When trying to figure out a spring's constant you can either calculate it using a set weight and garvity or lookup a torsional modulus chart based on the material the spring was made from. Being that I don't have the means to properly wieght a spring down for all types of springs made of different materials I was hoping to know if AGD had a chart to base their calculations when choosing the right springs for their parts.

I only have the torsional modulus of:
steel
stainless steel
cold drawn carbon steel
chrome vanadium
chrome silicon
phosphor bronze
brass

I suspect there are many more. Does anyone know what traditional paintball springs are made of?

Thanks.

sniper1rfa
11-12-2001, 09:37 AM
its some really interesting stuff. 45-6% titanium and 54-5% nickel. it can deform up to something like 200%. its what they use to make those unbendable eyeglass frames.

most pball springs are blued steel or (oddly enough) spring steel. they are the cheapest.

CHK6
11-13-2001, 10:17 AM
Nitinol spring wouldn't work well as a spring for CO2 traditional applications in paintball. Nitinol's strength properties change with temperature. But with HPA, Nitinol's memory would work nicely. Since Nitinol has a really good memory you don't have to figure in "spring clash" for fatigue applications.

That's all I know about Nitinol, as for memory recovery time and other aspects I don't know. Since the US Naval Ordenance Labratory discovered the properties of Nitinol, you would think there is a white paper on the subject.

Thanks for the other answers.