PDA

View Full Version : Experienced Machinist PLEASE HELP!!!

JEDI
09-08-2004, 09:53 PM
The rounded ball end of my allen wrench has broken off in the back grip frame screw of my DM4. Its twisted slightly so the ball is not sitting perfectly in the screw head (its dug in and wont drop out)

I'm out of ideas, and dont care to beat up my gun any further to get it out. Does anyone know of a good machine shop that can either drill out the head, or work some other magic to get it out? I have other screws, so I'm not concerned about the screw. PLEASE HELP!!!

ProX9
09-08-2004, 10:02 PM
you dont need a machinist to get that out, if you can find something with a small enough tip or another allen key just tap the end with a hammer so it might straighten out and then just fall out. last case thing to do is file or dremel a slot

JEDI
09-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Trust me, I've tried that. Thanks for the suggestion though. Because of my tapping, the screw head is messed even more, and theres no gap between the screw and the wrench head. I'm considering slotting it with a dremel, but the screw is flush/practically below the body of the gun. I'd almost certainly cut the gun.

Big'n slo
09-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Can you get us a picture?

JEDI
09-09-2004, 08:55 AM
I'll try. May not be today though. Good idea

Wc Keep
09-09-2004, 09:30 AM
impact paintball, jim is a god at fixing **** like that.

Wc Keep
09-09-2004, 09:30 AM
and thats what you get for betraying the cocker.

JEDI
09-09-2004, 09:50 AM
and thats what you get for betraying the cocker.
:D Cool, thanks Keep!

rpm07
09-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Jedi did you try using a easyout. You can get them at a auto parts store or Home Depot. That is your best bet and they are not that hard to use.

JEDI
09-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Hey man, thanks for the easy out suggestion. As the day goes on, I'm hearing more and more suggestions towards one. I'm going to pick one up and give it a go. Again, thanks for the help! :headbang:

shortfri
09-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Unless I've read wrong, an easy out won't work. your first problem is to get the broken allen ball out. from the sound of it either your screw head was wore or you were useing the wrong size wrench. it's twisted and locked into place. I found the best way to get them out is to do as the first guy said. since you have tried this and it didn't work try this. take a hard sharp point and tap at the top on one side. you'll have to do this fairly hard. it should break the ball lose. if this doesn't work post back. If you do get the ball out and the screw head is to messed up to get out try to find a socket out. an easy out requires you to drill a hole and then use it to back the screw out. a socket out you tap into the screw head with a hammer or whatever and is angled to get larger as it goes. then you use a cresent wrench to back the screw out. Remember when you chose something to peck on the allen ball that it has to be fairly hard. the least i would use is a nail and sharpen it to a good point the last thing i would do is try to slot it. most machine shops would have it out in a few minutes, you may want to look in your area.

JEDI
09-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Ok, well let me be a little more specific. The ball is stuck in the screw head. An easy out wont go through the ball and screw? I dont think I could tap out the ball. Thats the problem. I've already tried to get around it, and I just mashed the head of the screw around the ball even worse. Its almost as if they are now one. The broken ball is pretty flush with the top of the screw. I'm guessing what ever solution I use is going to have to involve going through the ball and screw head. - Ok thanks again guys. I'll try to get some pics up.

shortfri
09-10-2004, 02:15 PM
well try this. if you have a dremal take a good pointed cutting tool and dremal around the inside top of the bolt head. try to get rid of the burr you have beaten over the ball. if you get the head cleared the ball won't be that hard to get out you will just have to have some patience. it's a lot easier to pop the ball out like i said tapping it at an angle. it will roll the ball and you can't really bugger the ball since it's hard. but i'm afraid that you have messed the head of the screw up and you may have problems there. try not to take more off the head then you have to. just use your tool and get rid of the burr . get the ball out and see if you can get the screw lose with a allen wrench if not post back and i'll tell you a way to tap the screw out. Patience is a key word here if you get fusterated walk away.

shortfri
09-10-2004, 02:18 PM
as for going thru the ball. unless you have a carbide drill your not going thru it. even with a carbide drill more then likely it will spin, which would make it break free and fall out but it would mess the screw up.

JEDI
09-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Ok, I bought two dremel bits. One is a very pointed Tungsten Carbide cutter, and the other is a Diamond Point bit. Both seem small enough to cut around the nub, and remove it from the screw. Once the nub is out, I guess I'm at a point where I can use something to unscrew the screw. Thanks man. I'll keep you updated. I really appreciate the help.

JEDI
09-10-2004, 05:19 PM
The diamond bit worked! :headbang: I slotted the screw head, and twisted the b*tch out with a screw driver :shooting: Adam one; Screw zero. :dance: Thanks for all the help guys.

shortfri
09-10-2004, 06:20 PM
great, but at this point your still not finished. Take the screw somewhere and lay it on a piece of metal. take a very big hammer and beat on it till it doesn't look like a screw. then your finished. good job man.

JEDI
09-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Haha, thats hilarious. I had the same thought. I torched it, then when it was real soft I smooshed it in my vice.

space_weazel_45
09-15-2004, 12:52 AM
Pics!!!!