PDA

View Full Version : Coping with inconsistency

misenhei
09-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Looking for some insight from all you tourney players out there - how do you deal with the inherently waivering velocity presented by the RT/X valve? I sweat it every time I walk up to the chrono ref, even when I've had to crank the velocity down to 265 to ensure no hot shots. Besides the risk of penalizing my team, I feel I'm missing opportunities when snapshooting or posted up on another player. With the first shot or two being at a different velocity and thus going to a different place than intended...that's a lot of feet and hoppers that remain unpainted.

I've been playing almost exclusively with RTs for the past 4 years. As my abilities improve - I can't help but think this is holding me back. With any other marker, a 20 FPS variance would be unacceptable (to be fair, you do have much more control over it with rhythm - but it's still there). Even with the Emag, DevilMag, and hAir trigger...same song and dance. I don't what to do.

I don't want to set her down, can ya help a brother out?

space_weazel_45
09-10-2004, 10:57 AM
just asking...
are you following proper chrono procedure for rt valves?

misenhei
09-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Of course, and that's exactly my point. Since the velocity differs according to HOW you pull the trigger.....

abunkerer
09-10-2004, 11:34 AM
get a good adjustable hpa system and keep the input at 900+, or get a classic valve, or a gun that uses an inline regulator.
-I know exactly what you are talking about, but In reality the velocity fluctuations are not that bad to cause major shot-to-shot inconsistency, but it is frustrating none the less.

misenhei
09-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Done and Done.

I've tried inputs as low as 500psi (down to where it will not cycle) through 1050psi. I prefer the feel of the higher pressures (950ish), but my ULT is so bouncy I've had to calm it down with just a hair over 600.

The Classic does come out when I'm looking to be particularly "safe," but I think we can all agree it doesn't quite have that high end performance.

abunkerer
09-10-2004, 11:57 AM
sounds like you would be happier with a gun with an inline regulator that controlls velocity.

misenhei
09-10-2004, 12:25 PM
That's the road I'm walking right now. Nothing feels as good as a mag to me though, they just feel.....right. But if I can't lessen the inconsistency, I'm going to sacrifice feel for accuracy.

Is this just something I have to accept?

Chronobreak
09-10-2004, 01:01 PM
is the incocnsitency coming from the ult? or soemthing else? ive had a few rt's as well all are dead accurate/consitent for example my clasic rt was 289,289,290,289 ans about the same with my x-valve. ive never shot an inconsitent mag.

misenhei
09-10-2004, 01:31 PM
It's not 'coming' from anything - it is inherent in the design of the valve. I'm refering to velocity being a function of ROF, as evident in the graphs below. Omitting the first shot, the ms difference between the "peak" and "dip" is a fine line to tread.

slade
09-10-2004, 01:35 PM
so what you dont like is the velocity of the first few shots being lower than the rest? the only thing that i can think of is to hold the trigger down until you are ready to shoot, essentially doing what is recomended for chronoing on field. if you dont want to do that, looks like you may have to get a different gun...

FSU_Paintball
09-10-2004, 03:35 PM
That's a problem. It shouldn't have to be something you just "deal with." Get another gun that has better consistency.

matt-o
09-10-2004, 03:40 PM
so your refering to the shootup problem, not shot to shot consistency, correct?

Lee
09-10-2004, 04:20 PM
when is the last time you changed the o-ring on the reg piston?

that is a "wear" part and when it's worn, it will cause inconsitent velocity.

misenhei
09-12-2004, 11:40 AM
matt-0 is right....it's the shoot-up that i'm talking about, not the shot-to-shot consistency

trains are bad
09-12-2004, 03:53 PM
I don't like the automag shoot-up either. I wonder if there's some way to eliminate it when used in conjunction with the hair trigger, since the reactivity is nolonger needed.

Adrenaline_Junkie
09-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Thats wierd, ive never had a prob like that ever before with my mag.

trains are bad
09-12-2004, 04:06 PM
actually, you did. You just didn't notice. They are designed that way.