PDA

View Full Version : questions about oldmag, upgrades and thoughts about.....

sivioke
09-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Well I just pulled out my old classic automag, it has been siting in the closet for the last couple of years and I wanted to get it game ready. I have not even been following the paintball sceen and am wondering a few things.

1. How can I tell what level my mag is?? I think its a level 7 but am not sure, its like 8 or 10 years old

2. From what I could see it looks like the Mags just jumped from level 7 to level 10?? What about level 8 and 9?? What are those upgrades all about???

3. What do I need to do to run nitro on my gun?? I have an autoresponse trigger, if anyone out there rembers those ( pull fire release fire), will nitro keep the second shot from trailing off??

4. IF I put in the Retro Valve does that make my classic gun more or less the same as an automag rt??

5. I have an old venturi bolt.....you know multiple small holes around the O.D. of the bolt. The only thing is it has or should I say doesnt have a fommie, where can I get one /make one from?? Also I have the stock automag fommieless bolt, what I have been using since I cant find a foamy for the venturi bolt what is better venturi with foamie or stock automag foamieless bolt???

When I got my gun I was just a tennybopper and waas talked into every upgrade imaginable, sadly my gun is not working that well, now that I am older I relize that its better to leave things well enough alone. Couple of items I added that I think could be trouble are an elongated powertube tip, Power tupe spacer kit ( takes the place of the power tube spring) and an aftermarket on/off top. anyone have any experience with either of these items??? Should I just go back to stock???

Thanks for the help! Even old automage still rule!!

P.S. - Anyone remember the Vents Predator masks????? I paid a grip for both of mine and now I cant find any replacement lenses. Anyone know where to score any????

brianlojeck
09-10-2004, 11:38 AM
>1. How can I tell what level my mag is?? I think its a level 7 but am not sure, its like 8 or
>10 years old

If the power tube is held onto the valve with a snap ring, it's lvl 5 or 6.

if it's welded in place, it's most likely lvl 7 (I don't know if there was a level 6)

>2. From what I could see it looks like the Mags just jumped from level 7 to level 10?? What
>about level 8 and 9?? What are those upgrades all about???

LvlX is an anti-chop bolt. it works nice, but I have to say I'm not impressed with how much work it takes to get it set up properly and running compared to the lvl7 bolt.

I think they skipped 8 and 9 because Lvl 10 sounds cool. ("there weren't really 88 of them...")

>3. What do I need to do to run nitro on my gun?? I have an autoresponse trigger, if
>anyone out there rembers those ( pull fire release fire), will nitro keep the second shot f
>from trailing off??

to run nitro you'll need a new ($15ish) regulator piston to prevent the gun from venting out the back.

It should help your autoresponse drop-off, but what else might help is lengthening the trigger pull a bit. (I'm not sure how, but that's what I've heard), to give the gun more time to cycle.

and if you like, I'll trade you a nice stock mag grip (carbon fiber! strong enough to lift a car) for that autoresponse. ;-) (I'm kidding...)

(well, I'm not kidding, but you'd be nuts to do that...)

>4. IF I put in the Retro Valve does that make my classic gun more or less the same as an
>automag rt??

minus the aluminum body, yes. However, for the cost of the go-x-valve program, you could just about buy an entirely new RT Pro, and still have your classic for backup.

5. I have an old venturi bolt.....you know multiple small holes around the O.D. of the bolt. The only thing is it has or should I say doesnt have a fommie, where can I get one /make one from?? Also I have the stock automag fommieless bolt, what I have been using since I cant find a foamy for the venturi bolt what is better venturi with foamie or stock automag foamieless bolt???

When I got my gun I was just a tennybopper and waas talked into every upgrade imaginable, sadly my gun is not working that well, now that I am older I relize that its better to leave things well enough alone. Couple of items I added that I think could be trouble are an elongated powertube tip, Power tupe spacer kit ( takes the place of the power tube spring) and an aftermarket on/off top. anyone have any experience with either of these items??? Should I just go back to stock???

P.S. - Anyone remember the Vents Predator masks????? I paid a grip for both of mine and now I cant find any replacement lenses. Anyone know where to score any????[/QUOTE]

Shives
09-10-2004, 12:26 PM

I don't recall the Venturis having a foamie. Unless there was a small "dot" right in the middle. I think the one I have laying around doesn't have anything. I'm not sure if you'll find a big difference between the 2.

I did the same thing way back when. About the only thing I didn't get was the "magic box".

Shives

P.S. - Anyone remember the Vents Predator masks????? I paid a grip for both of mine and now I cant find any replacement lenses. Anyone know where to score any????[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

They are no longer made. You may be able to find lenses, but they would be so old, I would be reluctant to use them. Buy yourself a new set of goggles. I loved my Vents too. The clip in the back made them soo easy to take off/put on w/ glasses.

brianlojeck
09-10-2004, 12:43 PM
I knew I forgot something...

>5. I have an old venturi bolt.....you know multiple small holes around the O.D. of the bolt.
>The only thing is it has or should I say doesnt have a fommie, where can I get one /make
>one from?? Also I have the stock automag fommieless bolt, what I have been using since I
> cant find a foamy for the venturi bolt what is better venturi with foamie or stock automag
>foamieless bolt???

the foamiless bolt tends to break a bit more of the brittle tourny paint from what I remember. the venturi bolt you've got sounds to me like the bolt I use... made by Proteam I think, with a TINY round foamie in the middle.

the "hardnose" bolt isn't really in vogue any longer, but I dont' recall them being all that bad unless you shot Evil/Marbalizer/etc...

> Power tupe spacer kit ( takes the place of the power tube spring) and an aftermarket
>on/off top. anyone have any experience with either of these items??? Should I just go back
>to stock???

AGD actually eliminated their power tube spring in favor of spacers, so that is "stock" these days. as far as everything else, I'd get rid of it if it's not working, and keep it if it is.

I would get a parts kit and replace all the o-rings though... can't hurt at $20 and 15 minutes work...

sivioke
09-10-2004, 02:06 PM
thanks for the quick response, hopefully Ill get out and play this weekend!!!!

space_weazel_45
09-10-2004, 02:09 PM
you may not need a new reg piston to run nitro, just try it if it leaks then yes if it does not then great.

the tri foamies can be found here
http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=183&categoryID=16

i have and use an old venom on/off top with out issue, i would suggest the LVL X because it is not as complicated as some make it out to be, just read all the info and instructions and you should understand how it works, and ergo be able to tune it. else you a fool!

about the styles of bolts

FoamieLess, all stainless construction including the tip that pushes on the paintball. Get this one if you don't want to fool around with replacing stuff.

Foamie, a small foam rubber cushion is glued to the front of the bolt to softly push your paintballs into the barrel. Good if you play a lot in cold weather. The foamies do wear off and need to be replaced with superglue - AGD Website

sivioke
09-10-2004, 02:56 PM
the foamie that I am looking for is a very small round one that goes on the end of an aftermarket venturi bolt......back in the day I was aware of 4 types of bolts.....Stock automag foamie bolt (I have and probably will never use again)......New stock automag foamieless bolt ( Currently in my gun).......Foamieless venturi bolt (I dont Have it).........Venturi bolt with small...very small foam thing in the center of bolt, This is the one that I am looking for any sugestions????

Destructo6
09-10-2004, 03:13 PM
the foamie that I am looking for is a very small round one that goes on the end of an aftermarket venturi bolt......back in the day I was aware of 4 types of bolts.....Stock automag foamie bolt (I have and probably will never use again)......New stock automag foamieless bolt ( Currently in my gun).......Foamieless venturi bolt (I dont Have it).........Venturi bolt with small...very small foam thing in the center of bolt, This is the one that I am looking for any sugestions????
I believe that's the type that ANS still sells/uses with their bolts.

I didn't have to do anything to use HPA with my old Automag (CF03997).

brianlojeck
09-10-2004, 04:17 PM
ANS! thank you!

up above, when I said "proteam", substitute ANS.

that's the identical bolt I use, although I've only got one spare foamie, and I ain't letting it go. ;-)

should stil be available...

spectre184
09-10-2004, 10:01 PM
keep the power tube spacer kit, that is if it works. There were different lengths to try so it wouldn't leak I think. I've had same spacer in mine so long I forgot how you set it up.

I had a venturi bolt like yours and I thought it was :cuss: I bought an AGD foamiless and was :dance:

My on/off is a reactor valve and I've had no problems with it. I know their were several designs floating around back then.

My original ("slightly" modified now) 68mag is about same age as yours.

Hang on to that auto response frame, probably collector item by now?