PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Reasons To Buy An Atv Instead Of A Dirtbike

dj89
09-10-2004, 09:15 PM
" TOP 10 REASONS TO BUY AN ATV INSTEAD OF A DIRTBIKE:
(Relax, dirtbike guys, this is just for fun...)

#1: There are more trails open to ATVs. (Dirtbikes are often banned due to the damage the tires do to any trail.)

#2: ATV's are better in snow and mud.

#3: There's nothing like power-sliding around a corner on an ATV. Do this on a dirtbike and you'll end-up on your head.

#4: Statistically, ATVs are safer. (If you wear a helmet and get an ATV that's the right size for you.)

#5: Competition in the ATV world is still very open. There's lots of room to make your mark. (Everybody and his cousin is racing dirtbikes...)

#6: It's easier to transport and carry 'stuff' on an ATV.

#7: When you're parked, your girlfriend can sit on the seat with you, and it won't tip over like a dirtbike would.

#8: ATV's can have a safety flag on them for visibility on the dunes and trails. Put a flag on a dirtbike, and you'll look like a dork.

#9: ATV racing coverage and popularity will be exploding in 2004 and 2005 (due to the new participation by the major manufacturers).

#10: ATV guys get all the (best) ladies...

If you have a dirtbike and no an ATV, that's cool too. At least you can still go out and ride with me. i'll just have to stop once in a while and wait for you to catch up... " pro-staff

hi i race at maple shade mx
county line mx
hols shot mx
etc.
love to see ou there

cpm666
09-10-2004, 09:30 PM
i will always like my dirtbike better than a quad but hey, good to know u ride, peace

fire1811
09-10-2004, 10:40 PM
also you can get any "work" attachment you need with a ATV

WickeDKlowN
09-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Meh, I'll stick to my dirtbikes.

Warewolf50
09-11-2004, 02:08 AM
Never owned or ridden either :cry:

taylor492
09-11-2004, 08:50 AM
I dont ride them but i was told that if u wreck an ATV it will roll and roll, possibly over you. But if u wreck a dirtbike itll just lay over. At least thats what my neighbor, the dirtbike fanatic, says. :confused:

splatattack33
09-11-2004, 09:01 AM
ive only ridden a atv which i have rolled many a time(sometimes over myself) but ive never ridden a dirtbike soooo idk which one is better

Flow_Tech
09-11-2004, 09:41 AM
stop and wait for me?id have to stop and wait for you on my CR500..its just no competition. ;)

Trina
09-11-2004, 10:42 AM
ATV's are awesome!! I've ridden a few times on some tough trails and I do like the way they handle. Anyone have any recommendations? There are so many types and brands that I don't even know where to start. The girl in me makes me just want to look for the coolest looking one. :D What about buying used vs. buying new? Anyone have any good sites to go to or suggestions?

fire1811
09-11-2004, 10:52 AM
stop and wait for me?id have to stop and wait for you on my CR500..its just no competition. ;)

unless theres a mud pit and then i have to pull you out with my Polaris 700 :p

Adrenaline_Junkie
09-11-2004, 11:04 AM
I will always choose quads over dirt bikes. They are much more fun imo and i have yet to find a dirtbike that could beat me on any of my quads that ive owned.

Trina - it kinda depends on what your looking for, your skill level, and how tall/big you are. lmk if ya need any help and ill be sure to try my best to answer your questions.

JimmyBeam
09-11-2004, 11:09 AM
raptors > all

dj89
09-11-2004, 11:11 AM
ATV's are awesome!! I've ridden a few times on some tough trails and I do like the way they handle. Anyone have any recommendations? There are so many types and brands that I don't even know where to start. The girl in me makes me just want to look for the coolest looking one. :D What about buying used vs. buying new? Anyone have any good sites to go to or suggestions?

click here (http://www.douggust.com/atv2.htm)

go to ask the pros

Choosing a Quad

that should help

dj89
09-11-2004, 11:15 AM
i have never seen any dritbile in the same time code as a DS650
http://www.douggust.com/content/images/ds650.jpg

Adrenaline_Junkie
09-11-2004, 11:16 AM
raptors > all
Not quite lol but they are amazing quads. I miss the one i used to own. It had a trinity 727 kit with long travel suspension.

Adrenaline_Junkie
09-11-2004, 11:17 AM
i have never seen any dritbile in the same time code as a DS650

lol, my Baja X pawns any dirtbike out there as well as a lot of other quads!!!

dj89
09-11-2004, 11:22 AM
raptors > all

na i'd still take a honda if they are both offered to me

to bad they never really were a great race quad :(

o well thats why i like honda

Adrenaline_Junkie
09-11-2004, 11:24 AM
I would also take the new honda 450r over a 660 raptor.

fire1811
09-11-2004, 11:31 AM
Trina i would definatly advise against buying a used ATV you never know when someone like me owned it before you.

dj89
09-11-2004, 11:34 AM
buying used is a bad idea unless you know the owner. or is from a dear ship that has a warnty

markoger
09-11-2004, 11:35 AM

I would have to suggest Honda quads. for the price they are the best buy. i have a honda 4x4 now and it is great for plowing snow and handling all the crazy trails. I sometimes miss my 2 wheel drive sport quad. but i can convert my 4x4 to be either. my suggestion would be a used 4x4 that you can change from 4x4 to 2x4. they are the most versitile and you will have fun on any trail. If you want the reliability of a new one with a warrantee, and pay top dollar, then buy new. As for finding a good used one, you should get some help from a friend who knows quads. there are a lot of people out there selling crap, so don't do it alone. you can get a idea of what used quads are going for on Ebay. For new prices go to: www.hondamotorcycles.com

good luck
Marco

Trina
09-11-2004, 11:37 AM
Trina - it kinda depends on what your looking for, your skill level, and how tall/big you are. lmk if ya need any help and ill be sure to try my best to answer your questions.

I'm looking for something challenging, and I think a sport bike would be more fun then a utility bike. Also want something that has room to throw someone on the back if need be. :D I'm a tall girl about 5'8" and average weight. I guess it is bad to buy used considering the abuse these bikes take...

Adrenaline_Junkie
09-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Well, technically you are only supposed to have one person on any "sport" quad i can think of. If you want somethin that you can put another person on and still have a lot of un and go fast id say get a nice sized utility quad like a Grizzly or or my fav the Sportsman 700 (its big but has enough power to do some sweet wheelies lol). You can fit 2 people on a lot of "sport" quads but it reall isnt safe and most companies have warnings on there quads that tell you not to do it.

markoger
09-11-2004, 11:55 AM
sport quads are definately more fun. wheelies and donuts and sliding around corners. just was not sure what you were interested in. glad to hear you like to really ride. as for used quads it is hard to find the good ones, but they are out there. it sounds like you might want to buy new. it is a lot less hassle, and warrantees are always nice.

Adrenaline_Junkie
09-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Yeah, buy new if ya can because ya never know what someone did to a used quad. If ya really wanna have a blast and maybe ride with 2 people at a slow spped id say go for a sport quad. Youll get way more fun out of it than you will a utility but it is not meant for more than one person.

dj89
09-11-2004, 12:05 PM
how much are you willing to spend?

if you are not going to race i'd get the 400ex or the 300ex if you want rev.

but for racing trx450r,

skife
09-11-2004, 03:24 PM
dirtbikes > quads.

dirtbikes are way more manuveriable than quads.

dirtbikes are faster Cr500 is waaay faster/quicker than any quad i've seen.

everyone and their brother is getting a quad.

4 stroke sucks.... no matter what you ride.

if your going to get a quad get a yamaha banshee 350 twin and put a boysen rad valve in it, mix it with at least 100 octane fuel with golden spectral 2 cycle oil.

Sure trails are fun, but a quad that is an automatic just get boring to drive after awhile.

dj89
09-11-2004, 03:31 PM
dirtbikes > quads.

if your going to get a quad get a yamaha banshee 350 twin and put a boysen rad valve in it, mix it with at least 100 octane fuel with golden spectral 2 cycle oil.

Sure trails are fun, but a quad that is an automatic just get boring to drive after awhile.

1.maybe depends on were you ride
2.NOPE
3.NOPE
4.and do not get a banshee

YZILLA
09-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Got me A YZ426 and I respect anyone who rides - even if hes on a smoker ! :cheers:

Adrenaline_Junkie
09-11-2004, 04:13 PM
dirtbikes > quads.

Yeah they can be more manuverable. Dirtbikes arent faster, ive owned many quads that will smoke any dirt bike. Everyone gets quads because they are allowed more places and can be way more fun. Banshees are alright but they need a lot put into them to make em fun to ride and you have to be really good at shifting with a banshee or else it isnt that fast. Yes, trails as well as dunes are fun and none of us were talking about comparing an automatic quad to a dirtbike. In almost every case we were talking about manual quads. The only time we brought up automatic/manual utility quads was with Trina. Best thing for you to do skife is get your facts straight.

skife
09-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Yeah they can be more manuverable. Dirtbikes arent faster, ive owned many quads that will smoke any dirt bike. Everyone gets quads because they are allowed more places and can be way more fun. Banshees are alright but they need a lot put into them to make em fun to ride and you have to be really good at shifting with a banshee or else it isnt that fast. Yes, trails as well as dunes are fun and none of us were talking about comparing an automatic quad to a dirtbike. In almost every case we were talking about manual quads. The only time we brought up automatic/manual utility quads was with Trina. Best thing for you to do skife is get your facts straight.

I think my facts are pretty stright.

Do you not understand how fast a CR-500 is?
thats 500 CC's of 2-stroke power on a 300 lb machine

Vs

500ish CC's of power on a machine that has 2 more wheels to push and more weight.

whats going to be faster?

and to ride any manual transmission bike/quad and get decent performance out of it you have to know how to shift right.
if your getting to 6th gear then slowing waay down and comeing out of a corner without downshifting its going to be waaay doggy no matter what it is.

Flow_Tech
09-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Skife is correct..the only problem i can forsee in a dirtbike that you wont have in a fourwheeler,is mud...everything else,ill rape you in on my CR.

dj89
09-11-2004, 10:13 PM
snow,rock,slipery grass.................. the list gose on

i'v ownd a drit bike did not like it.

you you have any idea how fast a ds 650 is?

Flow_Tech
09-11-2004, 10:15 PM
now grass hopper ;) :) (yes,i called you grass hopper :rofl: )..ive been riding for 13 years..i can handle pretty much ANYTHING you throw at me on any bike..and yes,i know how fast DS650s are,ive ridden a few,and none of them impressed me..a 2stroke 500 beats anything you throw at it.

dj89
09-11-2004, 10:21 PM
now grass hopper ;) :) (yes,i called you grass hopper :rofl: )..ive been riding for 13 years..i can handle pretty much ANYTHING you throw at me on any bike..and yes,i know how fast DS650s are,ive ridden a few,and none of them impressed me..a 2stroke 500 beats anything you throw at it.

you must not have been pushing it ;)

was it one for the 2 frist years of production?

so you have like 5-6 years more than me but

i know people that can make a vary fast engine.............. :p

TransMan
09-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Well I myself like quads more then bikes but ill have to say that on average the bikes are gonna beat the quads if both are stock and all u guys talkin **** about the DS my cousin owns one and ive only seen him get beat twice by other quads one was a totaly draged out Raptor and the other was a YFZ450 with a yoshi pipe and K&N filter and a rejetted carb. And just about every time he lined up agains a 250 or a big 4 stroke bike he got beat if the rider was any good at all so im gonna have to go with bikes as bein faster but quads bein more fun. Oh and ill be gettin me one of the new yellow and black YFZ450s as soon as the dealer gets one in :D

Oh and Trina I would recommend the new Raptor 350 for ya first quad.

speeddemon
09-11-2004, 10:39 PM
DJ89,
really, why are you arguing? You are wrong. A CR500 came from the factory with around 60 hp. It weighs less than 300 lbs dry. A DS650 comes with maybe 45 hp from the factory, and weighs close to 450 lbs. You will not beat a CR500, in this world or any other world for that matter. Dirt bikes are faster in races than quads, it is a fact. Go and look at the Baja 1000 results for the past forever. The winning machine out of everything that races (and trust me, anything with wheels races in the Baja 1000) is more often than not an XR650 dirt bike (Johnny Campbell I believe). And he beats all the 1000 hp factory sponsored trucks too. And he spanks the quads. Dirt bikes are faster in MX too, its simple power to weight ratio, dirt bikes are running with roughly the same hp, and only about 2/3 the weight. Now for pure drag racing, well nothing will stop a banshee. Only thing stopping how much power you can get is money. You have enough, and 150 hp isn't too hard.

Now for my opinion. I like quads better than dirt bikes, to me its more fun. I can drive slow, not have to pay attention to what Im doing other than not hitting anything (I don't have to balance, worry about roots/ruts). And if you think a DS650 is the be-all end-all, then you are very deluded. They are a great sport quad, but they aren't that great at racing. They are too heavy. Yamaha and honda both have quads that are nearly 100 lbs lighter.

Trina,
I would say get a 400ex, but they don't have reverse, and I don't know if you would enjoy having to pick it up to turn it around. I would say get a Raptor (660, not the 350). It might be a little much power at first, but take it easy and use some common sense, and find someone that knows how to ride one to teach you how to ride.

dj89
09-11-2004, 10:41 PM
i'm not talking stock...............................

yes stock a drit bike will wopp an atv with the same amont of CCs.

but atv are geting fast
i'll end it at that

doug gust was making laps in 2:45 min at Budds Creek; Leonardtown, MD

speeddemon
09-11-2004, 10:46 PM
IT DOESN'T MATTER. You will not beat a CR500 unless its stock, and you have dumped a lot of money into your engine. A 2 stroke has more potential than a 4 stoke. Look at MX classes, 250 2 strokes are racing with, and more than competitive with 450 4 strokes.

SlartyBartFast
09-13-2004, 10:53 AM
Yeah, buy new if ya can because ya never know what someone did to a used quad. If ya really wanna have a blast and maybe ride with 2 people at a slow spped id say go for a sport quad. Youll get way more fun out of it than you will a utility but it is not meant for more than one person.

Only one model of quad is legally allowed to carry two people. It's one of the latest Bombardier models.

dj89
09-13-2004, 01:47 PM
there more than one :rolleyes:

SlartyBartFast
09-13-2004, 02:35 PM
there more than one :rolleyes:

If you mean "There's more than one" ATV that can seat two people, name it.

The first company to design and build an ATV for two people was Bombardier. Others may have done so since, but I haven't heard of any (but I don't follow the industry much).

Sure there are extra seats and many ATVs may perhaps seem large enough for two, but they all have a warning in their owners manual about only riding with one person on board. And by Quebec law and ALL the ATV club and trail rules, it's illegal to ride with more people than the owners manual allows.

Of course your state or provincial laws may vary, but that doesn't change the fact that if you've got two people on your ATV your not following the owner's manual.