PDA

View Full Version : sripping anno - need help

Stealthgerbil
09-11-2004, 06:49 PM
I want to stip the anno off of my rail. The question I have is if it will mess up the marker in any way. I have the tools to buff it and polish it. Also, I heard that drano works well for stripping, but you can also use red devil cleaner (which I dont know were to find).

Adrenaline_Junkie
09-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Stripping anno will not affect a guns performance in any way. Im not sure what stuff is good to use to strip anno but i know just using a buffer will work.

Stealthgerbil
09-11-2004, 07:13 PM
i used a buffer for the mags body, and I want the rail to look the same. I also have a chrome intelli, so I think it would look cool.

Adrenaline_Junkie
09-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah, an all polished look would be sweet. Im working on a black and chrome/polished look on my mag. I was gonna get it annoed but i ran into some money prob and dont have enough money right now.

sivioke
09-11-2004, 07:32 PM
over cleaner work pretty well

shatter_storm
09-11-2004, 08:57 PM
Wear some good gloves - lye is not something you want to get on your skin at all. Crystal Draino works wonders, Red Devil is great as well, and most other generic crystal based drain cleaners will do the trick. And of course, pull out the twist lock pin and rear rail bushing first, before you put it in the stripper. don't want 'em melting on you.

AGDlover
09-12-2004, 12:43 AM
just use a rasior blade to strip it

Stealthgerbil
09-12-2004, 08:57 PM
i have another question. When I put it in the drano, will the anno flake off, or will I take it out and have to scrub it off? Also, whats a bushing for the rail? i'm using the stock automag rail.

slade
09-13-2004, 05:39 PM
the ano cant "flake" off since ano is dye in the aluminum, not a layer of paint. for instructions, go here: http://www.carbineshornet.com/stripped.htm

Hexis
09-13-2004, 05:55 PM
In the stock rail there is a brass bushing in the field strip hole that alogns the grip frame and the rail. You will want to remove that (and the twistlock assembly if in place) before you dip the rail in a solution to strip the anno.

You really want to strip the anno with a chemicial (ie not with a buffer). Then buff the rail to a nice shine. This will leave the rail as raw aluminum, which will tarnish a lot faster than clear annoed aluminum. Just a warning, it won't stay shiny.