PDA

View Full Version : Do an 8 hole mod your self???

sivioke
09-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Whats that 8 hole mod all about that I have seen before a long long time ago???? You know drill like 8 holes in the reg of a old school automag regulator??? Is that something that one could do them self? Would one even want to??? And what exactly was that mod all about??

toymyster
09-12-2004, 01:50 AM
You can do it if you are very handy with a drill press and have a nice set of cobalt drill bits!!! I haven't seen it done in years!!! Supposedly, in the days of co2, they helped with shootdown, but now a days with hpa, it's a pointless mod, Don't bother!!!!

stoupa
09-12-2004, 05:06 AM
The 8hole mod is useless even for CO2.

CaliMagFan
09-12-2004, 09:52 AM
stoupa is right.... tom will attest, the valve is milled with optimum air passages... any 8 hole mod was just hype that was propagated by the PBN ballers of yesteryear...

-kyro

brianlojeck
09-13-2004, 02:19 PM
the valve on my classic is set up in what (according to the 8-hole people) is the most absolute WORST way, I've got one hole on each valve half, and they are 180 degrees apart.

No shootdown, even on co2.

The smallest hole in the classic reg is the one the regulator pin leaves in the reg seat o-ring, so no matter how big all the other holes are, that is going to be the "bottleneck", and it doesn't cause any problems.

stoupa
09-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Brian: I think that was an issue with older valves, I see you have a really low serial number. I also think that AGD was offering to drill an extra hole to these valves so the holes would line up.
Am I correct? ;)
Maybe this is where the 8-hole mod "inventors" got their idea?

brianlojeck
09-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Brian: I think that was an issue with older valves, I see you have a really low serial number. I also think that AGD was offering to drill an extra hole to these valves so the holes would line up.
Am I correct? ;)
Maybe this is where the 8-hole mod "inventors" got their idea?

I have a sneaking suspicion that AGD started doing this mod so people would stop drilling into their own valves.

I can't believe that AGD, with all their testing of lucite barrels and high speed cameras and whatnot, would have let it slip that the gun wouldn't work if the hole was "here", but work great if it were "here".

I'm not real fast on the trigger (maybe 6 bps, 8 tops, I'm nowhere near as fast as the kid in the old video who hit 9), but I've never had shootdown unless I was being sloppy on the trigger...

Dayspring
09-13-2004, 06:10 PM
The 8-hole mod was done by a 3rd party company because the holes between the regulator and valve didn't line up.

Once the valve/reg bodies were drilled as a single unit, the 8 hold mod became superfluous.

athomas
09-14-2004, 09:56 AM
In the older valves, the two holes didn't always line up. You can increase air flow by drilling a single hole in the valve back. Just make sure the hole you drill in the valve back lines up with the hole already present in the valve front section. It has to be drilled on an angle into the back. Take time to properly line up the position and angle of the hole and you should be fine.

pump
09-15-2004, 04:59 AM
what if you took out the AIR valve and just had another airchamber
and had the inline take care of the pressure
so like no holes just a hollowed out thing

athomas
09-15-2004, 08:53 AM
That will work and it has been done. The problem is, the farther you get the low pressure from the front chamber, the more flow restriction you place on the line feeding the front chamber. This will hinder the recharge rate of the valve. However, if you make the back chamber large enough, it would act like a volumizer and be a reservoir for air. This may lead to some slight velocity variances due to regulator response, but recharge would probably be very swift.

The above is all mute though, because the biggest restriction is at the top of the on/off pin. The air has to flow around the top of the pin to get into the front chamber. This is the greatest restriction in the classic valve and the cause of most of the problems.

pump
09-15-2004, 05:33 PM
i was thinking just keep the psi the normal stock psis

so what ever the psi is needed for the front it would be in the back too
all controlled but the verticle inline

i think it would take care of shootdownsince there is a preregulated air supply

wow now i wanna just find an spare back piece to drilled out

yeah and the pin that is right well unless you get some kind of eframe

GA Devil
09-15-2004, 06:12 PM
There is a place in Davison, Michigan who still does it and calls it a "monster mag" upgrade. Whether it ever really workd...I havent a clue.

athomas
09-15-2004, 07:39 PM
All you have to do to get the air to pass through the valve back without any restriction or regulation is remove the regulator seat and the regulator valve pin. With these removed, the input pressure of the valve will be the pressure that the valve front will see when it recharges.

The inline regulator takes place of the regulator that you bypassed on the back of the valve. Now, again I note, any regulated output (the mag front chamber operates at ~350psi for a level 7) will have less air flow through the downstream line than source ( ~850psi) pressure. Think of it like blowing through a straw. The longer the straw is, the harder it will be to blow the air through it. This is the problem that the inline regulator will have and you could get shootdown unless you have a large reservoir of regulated air to draw from. That is why many low pressure guns utilize volumisers.