PDA

View Full Version : Goggles Only?

OysterBoy
09-12-2004, 01:44 PM
I've noticed, maybe, 1 out of 20 players I see wearing just a goggle set with strap, no actual mask to cover their mouth/nose. At first I thought it was crazy, but I'm going insane with my V-Force; I can't get my pumps shouldered well, because the mask is always in the way. I'm considering just wearing a goggle set, but I understand the risks involved. Is there any mask that offers adequate mouth/nose protection but doesn't interfere with how I shoulder my gun? I've seen a Whipper-Snapper (Uncles), but I know they are hard to come by. Any advice?

NJPaint
09-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Flex-7 might do the trick for you. You can roll up the front part of the mask if you need to and come to think of it, even if you don't, it will move out of the way for your stock/marker. So, definately Flex-7

OysterBoy
09-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks, I'll look into buying one. By the way, I agree with your sig in regards to Rooster.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
09-12-2004, 02:00 PM
which are you going to choose, your life or the game? does it really matter that you know the risks are there? safety is the number one rule always for a reason :p

OysterBoy
09-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Well I couldn't see dieing due to a paintball shot to the mouth, lots of pain, yes. What I've seen, are Neoprene lower face guards.. I may just butcher a flex 7, so it still protects my nose and upper mouth..

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
09-12-2004, 02:11 PM
how about a really nasty scar to the mouth and a cut up lip that isnt easy to heal and maybe if you have your mouth open trauma to the teeth and ripped gums :clap:

TraXeR
09-12-2004, 02:23 PM
I'd go for a flex 7.. You could just flip up the bottom of it, but if the problem is it sticks out to far, you could try a Profiler. It hugs your face so well that it shouldnt hit your shouldered guns.

I have a flex 7 and a Profiler, and i only use the flex 7 if I lend out my Profiler for someone to try for a game.

OysterBoy
09-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Hmm.. Profiler seems nice, but also pricey. Then again, the mask should be the most expensive you can afford. Thanks guys.

RoboBeaver
09-12-2004, 02:24 PM
just get a flx 7, i have one, its really floppy, i get bounces off of it, and the thing slaps you. but you can press it on to anything it just gets pushed out of the way, you dont need to butcher anything, and you can keep your teeth and gums.

Automaggot68
09-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Well I couldn't see dieing due to a paintball shot to the mouth, lots of pain, yes. What I've seen, are Neoprene lower face guards.. I may just butcher a flex 7, so it still protects my nose and upper mouth..

I wouldn't do that.
Come on, there are rules against that, and most feilds (when run well) wont let you use a cut up mask.

Edit: Get a JT Proteus. Those suckers hug your face nice and good.

Second Edit: I do NOt agree with Njpaint's signature. Not that he posted it, but that it was taken out of context. How are any of us to know what ELSE was said, that didn't see that thread? What led up to that statement?
(I will however say that Rooster shouldn't have chosen his words a bit more wisely)

OysterBoy
09-12-2004, 02:38 PM
After having read a few of Roosters posts, I am confident in saying he is atleast partially a rascist. Whats worse is his 'No, I'm right' attitude. Very condescending.

Anyways..

I'm looking for a mask that hugs my cheeks/face VERY well, my V-Force cheek sections have about an inch and some of empty space.

Head knight of Ni
09-12-2004, 02:44 PM
what Vforce is it?

Empyreal Rogue
09-12-2004, 02:44 PM
The Profiler has serious fogging issues, though, since it's so close to your face. Otherwise it's a great mask.

Head knight of Ni
09-12-2004, 02:48 PM
The Profiler has serious fogging issues, though, since it's so close to your face. Otherwise it's a great mask.

Not if taken care of properly. :shooting:

oldsoldier
09-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Profiler and proteus both are face huggers. The proteus may be a little moreso, but, look into both of those.
As far as butchering a mask: any field with insurance wont let you play. Cutting up a mask violates ANSI insurance standards, and, therefore, would hold the field liable in the event of an injury/death. Persaonally, I would rather shoot a little awkward, than end up hurt, possibly scarred. But, hey, its your choice.

CodeMA
09-12-2004, 02:51 PM
My profiler has never fogged... sorry bud... but they dont have fogging issues at all from what Ive seen and I play a lot in hot, humid texas weather, stale nights even...

Ya, I WOULD NOT suggest cutting up a mask, feilds are getting pretty strict, some around here wont even allow you to roll the mask up...

Get a profiler, there worth it, get one used if you can... you can press the back of your marker into the mask some too if need be long as you dont have moving parts back there, cracked lenses/torn masks are never fun...

ALSO, if you have a drop, loose it, thats prolly part of the problem right there, and how are you trying to shoulder it exactly? Gotta think about these things as well

Empyreal Rogue
09-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Well all my friends, yes ALL, who have owned/own a Profiler have had that same problem. That's a total of around 10-12 people just in my state. Coincidence? I hope so, but not probable.

personman
09-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Get a flex 7 ,its just what you want. :)

flyinasian016
09-12-2004, 03:34 PM
If you want something small, get a Jt Proteus. Ive used one for one game, it is VERY small and it covers the essentials of your head. Its a little bit ont he ugly and heavy side but its really small.

BrockSampson
09-12-2004, 03:38 PM
He said he's seen people wearing only goggles, so I don't think the field really gives a crap about insurance or if you cut up your mask. My advice would be to get the Flex 7 and find another field to play at... ;)

Trina
09-12-2004, 03:59 PM
I'd definately agree with most of the posts here. Proteus (what I wear), Profiler (what Doobie wears) and the Flex 7 is also a great mask (although it's HUGE on my face). All three of these are really great with the fogging issues and are all durable masks. Doobie and I both like ours the same, although, I wish mine was as easy to clean as the Profiler. :rolleyes:

My suggestion is to go to a store where they have all three of these and try them on--don't forget to bring your gun, so you can see how it feels when you shoulder it. Remember that everyone has a different size face and masks will fit everyone differently--it's a good thing there are so many options. :D

Rooster
09-12-2004, 04:05 PM
"After having read a few of Roosters posts, I am confident in saying he is atleast partially a rascist. Whats worse is his 'No, I'm right' attitude. Very condescending. "

I'm yet to be wrong. And I'm not a racist, I hate all races equally.

OysterBoy
09-12-2004, 04:14 PM
"After having read a few of Roosters posts, I am confident in saying he is atleast partially a rascist. Whats worse is his 'No, I'm right' attitude. Very condescending. "

Well in that regard we sit on common ground; although I don't so much hate all races equally, as I hate people regardless of race. If I were to choose a race to bash, it'd be the white community (I am, by the way, white). If somebody gets on my nerves I don't look at them by color, I look at them by intelligence... which is sadly lacking in many people I meet.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to buy a Proteus.

NJPaint
09-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Second Edit: I do NOt agree with Njpaint's signature. Not that he posted it, but that it was taken out of context. How are any of us to know what ELSE was said, that didn't see that thread? What led up to that statement?
(I will however say that Rooster shouldn't have chosen his words a bit more wisely)

Take a look at the guy's (Rooster) sig above me. Anyone who is Palestinian is a terrorist according to him. (not that I am, it was a joke about how arabs invented the zero).

ZSigErik
09-12-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm racist, so what, its my opinion.

wageslave
09-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Summary:

1: If you shoot a pump, you're a terrorist.
2: If you cust up a Flex-7, you're a racist.
3: Palestinians are AGG.

Otherwise, well done on the thread derail.

1stdeadeye
09-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Rooster and NJ cut it out. I hate you both!!! :p

I love my Profiler. It is tight and light! Good luck!

Bob_da_Splatman
09-12-2004, 11:19 PM

Well at least he's consistant.

:rolleyes:

Deep Sixx
09-13-2004, 09:30 AM
I love my Profiler. It is tight and light! Good luck!

I knew a girl like that once!

I don't think that makes me a terrorist or a racist... pervert maybe, but I'm ok with that. ;)

(I would recommend the Flex-7)

sixx

Jeffy-CanCon
09-13-2004, 10:29 AM
I knew a girl like that once!

I don't think that makes me a terrorist or a racist... pervert maybe, but I'm ok with that. ;)

(I would recommend the Flex-7)

sixx

I'm telling Nikki!

Re: mask choice, follow Trina's advice. Alternatively or additionally, get a bottom-line for your pump. I found that makes a big difference. It improves the balance of the marker, too.

Deep Sixx
09-13-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm telling Nikki!

She already knows I'm a pervert!

sixx

FromTheBack
09-13-2004, 07:48 PM
I wore my profilers with nothing on my head before while it was raining and another with moisture to have it being a huge pain. I used it this weekend at a tourny when it was really dry to work wonderfully with a headband and a flydana or whatever those things are called.

Deathshadow9k
09-14-2004, 01:38 AM
i think you need a freakin reality check if yur really all that worried about gettin hit in the mouth or nose, if you get hot shotted (a good hot shot) to the temple that is the easiest way to cause a brain hemmorhage and kill you and or blind you in the eye of your choice :argh: , have fun cap'n morgan

Beemer
09-14-2004, 04:47 AM
i think you need a freakin reality check if yur really all that worried about gettin hit in the mouth or nose, if you get hot shotted (a good hot shot) to the temple that is the easiest way to cause a brain hemmorhage and kill you and or blind you in the eye of your choice :argh: , have fun cap'n morgan

It doesnt have to be a hot shot to do the damage. Try a string of 3 to 5 or more right up the side or back of head at 280 to 300 fps. at 5 to 15 ft. They want us to replace our lenses after a hit at 15 ft. What about my head.

Hemorrhage....Whats that? Oh ya isnt that what causes welts in the first place.
Dont tell anyone you could be killed by a hit or hits from a paintball gun. They wont believe you.

gc82000
09-14-2004, 06:15 AM
You guys have to realize that any shot at the right angle will probably knock a mask off your head. Today I watched a tourney vid(made circa 2002) and the game was of All Americans vs. Ton Ton Flinguers. A member of the the Ton Ton's got his mask shot off by getting hit from the side, it really dropped to his chest. Bt if they were using the ghuns of today and a string was sent his way he could have been blinded.
Just to put it into some kind of perspective.

gc82000
09-14-2004, 06:20 AM
The moral of that story. If he was using a half mask or even goggles only the mask would have dropped farther down his face. Thus giving the other team more area to aim at.

Summary: Half mask and goggles only SUCK. :cuss: :cuss:

Trina
09-14-2004, 06:24 AM
Some masks (ie. Proteus) now include a chin strap to hold them on better, only problem is that it makes the mask look goofy, and also is a pain in the bum to remove the mask after play. I guess you'd have to decide which is more important. :cool:

vonort
09-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Instead of a new mask did you think about making the gun into a Bottom Line configuration? Thats what I do with all my pumps. Dont have any problems shouldering.

OysterBoy
09-14-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm just comfortable with the back bottle setup, thats all.

Doesn't really matter anymore, I've decided to put paintball aside for a while. Its really rediculous how much it costs, even when looking at the rates from when it first started. Little to be gained, really. Putting my money into something personally gratifieing (Have a fever, cant spell well); bass guitar.

hitech
09-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Try a string of 3 to 5 or more right up the ... back of head at 280 to 300 fps. at 5 to 15 ft.

I can tell you what happens. It will knock you silly. Most likely give you a concussion. At least that is what happened to a buddy of mine. And he wasn't even playing (he was reffing.). ;)

BTW, it hurts like hell also! :wow: