PDA

View Full Version : New car speakers, no sound...

09-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Ok, heres the deal. I've had a clarion head unit for about...oh...2 years now. last week, the origional ACDelco speakers blew. So i trotted down to the local Hi-Fi-Buys (Tweeter) and got some Polk 4x6 plates for the dash speakers (keep in mind this is a 1991 S10 Ext. Cab). I also pulled the rear speakers at the time, and turned the fade all the way to the front so that no power was sent to the rear speakers (which were removed).After pulling the rear speakers, i discovered that they were 4x10s. A week passed. I went down to the local car stero shop (seeing as how Hi-Fi-Buys/Tweeter didn't have any 4x10s in stock.) and bought a pair of Sony 4x10 Xplods. I went home (first big mistake) and installed them. I turned the fade back to normal, expecting at least SOME sound, i turned the volume knob to about the 9' o'clock position (keep in mind that it rests at the 7 o'clock position). No sound from the rear speakers. ...so... I reversed the pololarity on one speaker, to see if that made a diffrence. Nope. I pulled both spekers out, and using a volt tester, insured that my soldering was good, and got 0.00 on the volt meter (when not touching they read "OL"). I touched a 1.5V battery to the contacts, and the speaker made noise. I took one of the old ACDelco speakers and hooked it back up....and...lo and behold, it play music. I put the xplod back in the truck, and still no sound.
By now im wondering if its A) Driving around for a week with the radio the way it was (no back sound) or B) The radio had a failsafe device in it and "turned off" the back speakers. i disconnect the battery and let it sit, and try it again. STill nothing.

Only thing i can think of is that
The diffrence in the Ohms of the speakers (ACDelco's 10 in front and back, vs. Son'y's 4 in back and Polk's 4 in from) is overloading the circuit, or that the rear channels are just gone.

Ideas, suggestions, comments?
Im kinda half way hopeing that i'll have to upgrade the head, i saw this nice new clarion one...

?