PDA

View Full Version : Car Stereo Question

DJBacon06
09-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Ok, so I feel kinda dumb for asking this, but whatever... Here's the deal. I drive a 95 Acura Legend, and although it has a nice Bose system in it, It's old, and starting to go. The Cd changer decided to stop working one day. So i decided to buy a new head unit instead of dealing with a new changer. Now, the legend has an 8 speaker set up. 2 6.5", 2 6X9" and 4 tweeters. two of the tweeters, however, are disconnected (i replaced the front pannel speakers). This leaves me with 6 speaker channels. Now here's my quesiton. If a head unit says it supplies say... 50 watts per channel, with 4 channels. Would i not be able to have all 6 speakers plugged into the head unit? (I do plan on replacing the back speakers with nicer ones, that will have tweters in them, so its not that big of a deal.)

DJBacon06
09-13-2004, 08:32 PM
anybody?

CasingBill
09-14-2004, 09:39 PM
I dont think you can. I had the stereo replaced in my truck and it also had 6 speakers but I couldn't use the 2 little tweeters. I'm no expert so don't take my word for it.

ASDadam
09-15-2004, 12:21 PM
You should be able to use them. More than likely the Headunit you had only had 4 connections coming in, but had an amp that ran all the speakers. So if wired properly you should be able to use them as i have 6 speakers in my Bravada and i replaced mine with an Alpine headunit, 60x4 and they all 6 work fine. Just take it to a good installer and they'll rewire it for the new cd player and it should work fine.

DJBacon06
09-15-2004, 02:56 PM
alrighty, thanks guys. I'm thinking the tweeters might jsut be tapped onto the main speaker wires. I'll have to check that out