PDA

View Full Version : Tips 4 pics :-D

1ofkind
09-13-2004, 06:12 AM
Hey, I've been having trouble taking pictures of my teammates lately on the field.

Any A()Ers experienced photographers with simple tips? I'ed love to have some great exciting dramatic pics to upload on my cheesy team webpage.

:bounce: :cheers:

azza
09-13-2004, 07:03 AM
i might not be very experianced with taking photos but one thing I have learned is that you must take ALOT of photos to end up getting decent pics.
Also you have to get into the thick of it and onto the field to get the best shots. Sitting round on the sidelines just wont cut it when you want those awesome shots! Oh yeah, and being at the right place at the right time helps too :P

Just my $0.02
Azza

Jeffy-CanCon
09-13-2004, 01:00 PM
It isn't strictly necessary to get in the thick of the game, though you can't be on the sidelines. Some of the best pictures on our club website were taken by a guy standing up in the middle of the field and using a zoom lens. He stayed clean while shooting four rolls of film.

Sept. 1999 CanCon club day (http://www.canadiancontingent.com/calendars/events/photos/cds99/cds99.html)

A decent camera is essential, with a good zoom, and capable of fast shutter speeds. If digital, there should be a "sport" setting. If 35mm, use 800 speed film. Take lots of pics, and choose the best shots to keep & show.

Stealthgerbil
09-13-2004, 01:40 PM
also, remember that the faster speed film you use, the more light you need. This pretty much means that if you want to get good pics, go play when its sunny. On my camera, when its a sunny day, I can capture 1/1000 of a second, which could allow you to see paint flying through the air.

Hexis
09-13-2004, 01:47 PM
also, remember that the faster speed film you use, the more light you need. This pretty much means that if you want to get good pics, go play when its sunny. On my camera, when its a sunny day, I can capture 1/1000 of a second, which could allow you to see paint flying through the air.

Wrong. The "faster" the ISO of the film is (or the ISO setting on a digital), the less light you need.

The disadvantage of faster film is the image has more grain (or noise on a digital).

If you have for example the correct exposure at f8, 1/500th on 800 film, you would want to shoot the exact same picture at f8 1/1000th on 1600 film, or f8 1/250th on 400 film.

Everything in photography is "stops" in simple terms. One stop is double the light (or half depending on which way you are going). ISO 800 film is one stop above ISO 400. f5.6 is one stop above f8 (that would take a while to explain). 1/250th is one stop above 1/125th.

Muzikman
09-13-2004, 02:41 PM
You can take some great photos while being on the sidelines. The keay is to shoot ALOT and just be in the right place at the right time. I have shot a TON of paintball, but I have yet to get a great shot of someone being bunkered. I have just not been in the right place at the right time yet.

A few things that help.

Zoom lens
fast shutter speed
A good partly cloudy day. A day that is too sunny will get too much relection of things such as guns and lenses.

In most cases, a simple point and shoot camera does not work. The shutter speeds usually do not get fast enough and you get lots of motion blur.

Rather
09-13-2004, 05:44 PM
-decent Zoom lense.

-Somewhat quick reactions

-Paying attention at all times helps dramatically, the best oppertunities for a picture always happen when you let your guad down.... so don't let it down and get some good pics! You don't let your gun down durring game afraid you will miss a good shot, don't let your camera down in case you miss a good shot.

-Don't let one bad photo get you depressed about taking more shots, they happen (to some people more than others). Think about what could have made the picture better (if you have a SLR type) then fix the shutter speed, the F stop, hold the camera steady, or don't let the ref jump in front of you when a great photo op occurs.

You don't necicarily have to be in the thick of things on the field, but make sure you have angles to take pics of anyone or anything that might happen. PB and photography aren't too different, its about what you can see from what angles, and being able to shoot what you see at the right moment. For me one brushes up the skills of the other. Except when im on the field playing they won't let me wander around in the open with my 'Press pass'..... :(

Also, if you don't know what your guys are planning, GO to your teammates huddle or whatnot before game and ask who is going where and what they would like to plan for the game, that way you cane be SOMEWHAT prepared and in the right spot to take pics.

1ofkind
09-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Coolio, thanks guys. Feel free to submit more tips guys ;)

Carbon
09-14-2004, 01:13 AM
everyone here brought up some really good points. Here is the caveat

Dont be afraid to get shot. God knows i probably get shot up more than the players, especially phtographing the snake areas. Lemme tell ya them paintballs hurt without the adrenalin.

Muzikman
09-14-2004, 08:43 AM
everyone here brought up some really good points. Here is the caveat

Dont be afraid to get shot. God knows i probably get shot up more than the players, especially phtographing the snake areas. Lemme tell ya them paintballs hurt without the adrenalin.

That is VERY true. But also, remember to protect your investment. This doesn't not mean put your camera in a box, but also don't let the lens take any direct hits. Also, dress in bright shirt or something so the players do not mistake you for a player coming down the tape line:)

Hexis
09-14-2004, 09:45 AM
I made a neoprene cover for my Camera body and picked up a cheap extended range zoom at a camera store tent sale for super cheap (28-200 for $130). It's my total beater lense. I could care less about it. I do have a cheap UV filter on it, that should save against a direct on the glass hit. A beater lens is only an option on a SLR.

If you have any way to put a UV filter on your lense, do it. That will protect the impossible to replace front element with something you can easily replace if it takes a hit.

Muzikman
09-14-2004, 09:55 AM
I shoot most of my paintball events with my Canon 70-200 2.8L IS USM. It's not quite a "beater" lens:)

Hexis
09-14-2004, 10:03 AM
Well, if you could pick an extra one up for $130 I'll bet it would be. :)

OysterBoy
09-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Your best chance of not getting hit, is to wear a shirt with a red target saying 'HIT ME'. Noone will even touch you. :rofl: Good luck with it. :headbang: