PDA

View Full Version : So I have a DVD burner

AcemanPB
09-13-2004, 10:32 PM
I have a DVD burner on my computer and I'd like to make copies of DVD movies that will play in a normal DVD player. I've researched this process myself and have had no luck, all I got out of it was a DVD decrypter program that writes the DVD to my hard drive, I really don't know where to go from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated, specially if anyone has a program that does it all in one step.

fire1811
09-13-2004, 10:37 PM
DVDSHRINK

search for it on google.

great two step program

thecavemankevin
09-14-2004, 07:13 AM
DVD Xcopy i think will also do it....but not a 100% sure on that.

but after you get it on your hard drive you will need a good DVD burning program that will put all the necessary files on the disk...and not just the movie data. Nero is a great program for Burning anything

fire1811
09-14-2004, 07:23 AM
dvdxcopy is a all in one program it will decrypt, compress and burn.

dvdshrink decrypts, compresses, edits, but it uses nero to burn.

i have both and prefer dvdshrink

also dvdxcopy which is 321 studios is now out of business

gibby
09-14-2004, 11:37 AM
I use DVD Decrypter to create ISO images for single layer DVDs, or extract the files for dual layer DVDs. DVD Decrypter can also burn the ISO image. This is great for duplicating single layer DVDs cause you get everything without the need to compress. If it's a dual layer, the files that are extracted are imported into DVD Shrink. From there, I usually just re-author, and back up the main movie only...then bring those files into Nero for burning.

The one thing I don't like about dvdxcopy is that you always get that disclaimer stating that you're viewing a backed up dvd. A lot of times, dvdxcopy will also try to compress everything on the dvd decreasing the overall picture quality.

Jeremizzle
09-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Sorry about Hijacking the thread, but...

DVDSHRINK

search for it on google.

great two step program

About DVD shrink, I was tring to use it the other day, and it compressed the movie so it would fit on one single layer dvd, and made the picture quality really crappy. Is there a way that i could burn it with no compression onto two normal dvd+r's?

gibby
09-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Sorry about Hijacking the thread, but...

About DVD shrink, I was tring to use it the other day, and it compressed the movie so it would fit on one single layer dvd, and made the picture quality really crappy. Is there a way that i could burn it with no compression onto two normal dvd+r's?

Yes, that's why I use DVD Decrypter to find out if the DVD I'm copying is single or dual. If dual, I extract all the files onto the hard drive using DVD Decrypter and use DVD Shrink to rip out the movie. Remember, a lot of the retail DVDs are dual layer and the DVDrs you buy are single...so lots of compression needs to be done in order to make it fit. Strip out the menus and extras and you'll be fine. I've compressed a DVD up to around 70% without noticing any type of pixelation or artifacts.

AcemanPB
09-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Single and dual layer? Could you please explain.

I've looked at DVD X-copy and I couldn't find a copy to DL off the internet and all the copies on Ebay go for 50-75 :wow:

Jeremizzle
09-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Yes, that's why I use DVD Decrypter to find out if the DVD I'm copying is single or dual. If dual, I extract all the files onto the hard drive using DVD Decrypter and use DVD Shrink to rip out the movie. Remember, a lot of the retail DVDs are dual layer and the DVDrs you buy are single...so lots of compression needs to be done in order to make it fit. Strip out the menus and extras and you'll be fine. I've compressed a DVD up to around 70% without noticing any type of pixelation or artifacts.

I may be mistaken, but I think DVD Shrink copies the whole thine to your harddrive, this is when i did full disk backup. I was testing it using school of rock, and it came out to somewhere around 7gb, but then it compresses it and puts it on one dvd, but I dont want the effects once it compresses, which is why i want to burn it onto two dvd's. plus i would like to keep the menu's and such intact.

fire1811
09-14-2004, 06:25 PM
I may be mistaken, but I think DVD Shrink copies the whole thine to your harddrive, this is when i did full disk backup. I was testing it using school of rock, and it came out to somewhere around 7gb, but then it compresses it and puts it on one dvd, but I dont want the effects once it compresses, which is why i want to burn it onto two dvd's. plus i would like to keep the menu's and such intact.

you dont have to copy the whole movie with dvdshrink you can edit whats on the disk. click on reauthor(i think) at the top after it reads the disk.

fire1811
09-14-2004, 06:27 PM
Single and dual layer? Could you please explain.

I've looked at DVD X-copy and I couldn't find a copy to DL off the internet and all the copies on Ebay go for 50-75 :wow:

as i said before you wont find it on there site to DL they are out of business. which is why i would recommend NOT buying it. you will have no product support or updates. and dvdshrink is free which is a plus, and it does the same thing with more features.

gibby
09-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Well, a lot of the dvd movies that are sold are burned on dual layers. Meaning, all the contents are stored on two layers rather than a single layer which retail DVDrs are. Each layer can store up to around 4.3 gigs of information. So a dual layer DVD can have 8 gigs of stuff and you're trying to compress all that onto a single layer dvd. Too much compression can result in some pretty bad artifacts or pixelation in the video quality.

DVD shrink allows you to re-author the dvd so you only get the movie portion and not all the extras and menus which can take up a lot of storage space. Sometimes, when you only grab the movie, there's no need to compress it so you get the full quality video and audio. But I've compressed movie files as much as 71% without noticing any degredation to video quality.

Here's a great site if you want to read more about it:

http://www.doom9.org/

AcemanPB
09-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Alright well I have DVD shrink now, I think I pretty much have that program figured out. I like how I can shed all the useless extras and not have to compress the movie as much. Anyway, it says I need Nero to burn to DVD... I don't have Nero and I don't have the money to buy it... what other good programs are there for getting the data on the DVD?

digitard
09-14-2004, 10:26 PM
I normally use DVDShrink to rip just the movie itself (in the right column it shows playtimes... its not hard to figure which is which) and normally end up with no more than 15% compression, and on discs w/ both wide and standard view i get no compression needed.

Then if there are features that just HAVE to be had then I'll rip the featuers out into a second disc just in case.

I leave out the actual menu's cause they're pointless honestly most of the time.

Just pop the DVD into your DVD player and it plays the movie, no menu mess.