PDA

View Full Version : Problem with WinXP and cable connection

Remington
09-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Hey guys, my computer is having some difficulties as of late. For some reason, my WinXP account is the only one that is able to connect to the Internet; four out of the five accounts will not access the Internet at all. I've tried going into Control Panel -> Network Connections and checking that, and it says that the connection is "Enabled". I've also tried going into the Tools menu in IE and selecting "Internet Options" and setting up a new connection but that doesn't work either. I am truly lost on what to do, so I came here, knowing that AO is home to some pretty good computer wizzes. Thanks in advance for any help you guys provide. :hail:

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
09-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Probably wrong, but try using an ethernet cable rather than a usb

fire1811
09-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Probably wrong, but try using an ethernet cable rather than a usb
i think if it connects with one it shouldnt be the cable.

check in you accounts to see if you have them blocked for access to net its in control panel.

Remington
09-14-2004, 07:13 PM
check in you accounts to see if you have them blocked for access to net its in control panel.

Are you refering to "User Accounts"? :confused: If so, I just tried that and I can't find an option to change Internet accessibility options for the accounts.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
09-14-2004, 07:39 PM
i think if it connects with one it shouldnt be the cable.

And thus my probably wrong, to begin my sentence :p

danheneise
09-14-2004, 08:59 PM
the only thing i can think of is to go into internet options and then the content tab and disable the content advisor at the top if it is enabled, if it isn't enabled then i really can't think of anything else...

pbzmag
09-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Did you install SP2? Try turning off ICF.

Remington
09-15-2004, 06:17 AM
Did you install SP2? Try turning off ICF.

I don't consider myself computer illiterate but . . . huh? :confused:

danheneise
09-15-2004, 05:34 PM
I don't consider myself computer illiterate but . . . huh? :confused:

the first thing (SP2) means Security Patch 2, a crappy windows xp update recently put out by micro$oft which has screwed many people over lately. and the ICF i really don't know lol i'm guessing it means Internet Connection F... something...

Rumble
09-15-2004, 06:37 PM
the first thing (SP2) means Security Patch 2, a crappy windows xp update recently put out by micro$oft which has screwed many people over lately. and the ICF i really don't know lol i'm guessing it means Internet Connection F... something...

probably firewall, internet connection firewall :)

Remington
09-15-2004, 07:40 PM
What if another family member installed SP2 (I know I didn't)? What do I need to do to turn it off? :confused:

Edit: If it helps at all, the house is networked and this computer is one of three running off a router. The other two computers aren't having any problems with Internet connectivity, it's just the 4 WinXP accounts on this computer.

Edit 2: ICF is off at the moment. ;)

pbzmag
09-15-2004, 08:48 PM
You can't turn of SP2. However, you can turn off Automatic updates. Just right click on the desktop icon called "My Computer" and select Properties. Click on the Automatic Updates tab and make sure that the "Automatic(recommended)" is not selected. If it was selected, most likely the system updated itself. As for the other profiles, were you able to access the internet before SP2?

CasingBill
09-15-2004, 09:12 PM

last I checked, SP2 meant service pack 2.....and I've never heard of ICF either.

CasingBill
09-15-2004, 09:15 PM
What if another family member installed SP2 (I know I didn't)? What do I need to do to turn it off? :confused:

Edit: If it helps at all, the house is networked and this computer is one of three running off a router. The other two computers aren't having any problems with Internet connectivity, it's just the 4 WinXP accounts on this computer.

Edit 2: ICF is off at the moment. ;)

are all the users set up the same on their user accounts? are they all administrator or power users? and not someting restricted?

BTW....turn your firewall back on

Remington
09-16-2004, 06:00 AM
are all the users set up the same on their user accounts? are they all administrator or power users? and not someting restricted?

BTW....turn your firewall back on

All users are setup the same across the board. They are all administrators as well and I don't believe anything is restricted. See, the thing is, up until about 4 days ago, nothing was wrong, every account had access to the Internet, and now only mine does. :confused: And access for the Internet is going through an internal firewall in the router before it gets to this computer CasingBill, so I think I should be okay.

CasingBill
09-16-2004, 08:52 PM
It doesn't seem to make any sense. If all accounts are setup identical, there should be no problem. SP2 would have nothing to do with it. Gonna have to think about it. Maybe get a real expert, like miscue or something.

pbzmag
09-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Can you get email or is it just not accessing websites? Check your Security and Privacy settings in IE. Make sure that they are set to default. That's all I could think right now.

CasingBill
09-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Try this......right click on you IE icon and select "run as".....then login as one of the other users and see if it still works.