PDA

View Full Version : Kryptonite Lock scare....

cphilip
09-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Seems this is going around and seems there might be some truth to it from what I can see so far. If you use these for Bikes or Scooters you need to be aware of this. More thiefs now are I guess...

http://thirdrate.com/misc/krypto.mov

http://biginjapan.com/extranet/assets/ben/krypto_ev_disc_web.mov

Using a Bic pen....

Ironmag
09-14-2004, 08:07 PM
That just cannot be good for business.

Archangel Kid
09-14-2004, 08:31 PM
phew... i was scared for superman... who was going to protect me :D

BobTheCow
09-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Damnit, I've got a kryptonite on my bike!!!

Wait, my bike's sitting in a pile in my carport... meh, when I put it back together (haha it's been 2 years) I'll get it a new lock, too. Sucks for Kryptonite though, I'd always heard good things about their products. :(

Will Wood
09-14-2004, 09:39 PM
This is all baloney, you know the pen company is making this up to increase sales....
Jeez the scams you guys fall for....
But in other news, that does suck for Kyrptonite.

Rather
09-14-2004, 09:50 PM
hmm.. what if one were to simply weld something over that hole tha,t apperantely, they are jimmiy-ing the lock with?.... quick fix for people already with them? (don't own one myself but I see them in all the local stores).

fire1811
09-14-2004, 10:37 PM
wow thats kind of cool

cphilip
09-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Ok well I was almost convinced this was a Hoax.

So having a black origninal Kryptonite U lock and some Bic Pens I just decided to see for my self. I did get it to unlock. Not as easy as it shows on those video's. Took some forcing of the pen barrel over the lock barrel and a lots of tapping on it in to the depth of the hole till if finaly did rotate and unlock. Then of course the core was out of alignment and I had to Tease it back aligned to fix the lock. By that time the Bic pen barrel was so worn out it would not grab good enough to do it again but..... it did work on this particular lock. I was able to open it. With a Bic pen barrel. Took about five minutes. Knowing what I know now I probably could do it a tad faster.

This is a standard Black "Kryptonite" U lock and using a Bic Pen barrel.

Not good news.

ojhspyro89
09-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Sweet, i think im going to go stock up on bic pens now to play with a U lock

BobTheCow
09-15-2004, 04:38 PM
hmm.. what if one were to simply weld something over that hole tha,t apperantely, they are jimmiy-ing the lock with?.... quick fix for people already with them? (don't own one myself but I see them in all the local stores)."That hole" is where the key normally goes. Not sure how well the locks would work if they removed that hole... ;)

The-Z-Man
09-15-2004, 07:10 PM
This is when you get mr 3/8th inch chain and pad lock...it should take them a while to get through that chain, untill you notice..heh

Rather
09-16-2004, 12:17 AM
"That hole" is where the key normally goes. Not sure how well the locks would work if they removed that hole... ;)

ohh ok i follow lol. wasn't sure since on most other bike locks of that type... the key is a ring type and it goes in the bar end.... not in the side of it... good to know i won't be robbed anytime soon.. not like that matters since I have a car now, YAY GO ME!

cphilip
09-16-2004, 01:39 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/09/16/bike_lock_fiasco_creating_a_buzz_in_the_cycling_co mmunity/

Jack & Coke
09-18-2004, 02:13 AM
yet another video...

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/9659990566610756.JPG?0.6182831830809845

video: http://www.engadget.com/common/videos/pt/lock.wmv

Kryptonite Evolution 2000 U- Lock hacked by a Bic pen
Posted Sep 14, 2004, 5:04 PM ET by Phillip Torrone

Much to our surprise, we were able to hack our Kryptonite Evolution 2000 U- Lock with a ballpoint pen. This $50 lock is supposed to be one of the best for “toughest bicycle security in moderate to high crime areas”—unless the thief happens to have a Bic pen. We used to use these to lock up our bicycles, but we’re switching to something else ASAP. (Oh, and just to be trite, the pen is mightier than the lock.)

BobTheCow
09-18-2004, 05:40 AM
(Oh, and just to be trite, the pen is mightier than the lock.) :rofl:

Any word from kyrptonite themselves, a defense or rebuttal or anything of that sort?

BobTheCow
09-18-2004, 05:43 AM
Curiosity killed the cow... time to answer my own question.

KRYPTONITE OFFERING FREE UPGRADE WORLDWIDE FOR CONSUMERS’ HIGH END TUBULAR CYLINDER LOCKS

Unprecedented Offer Intended to Address the Needs of Loyal Consumers

Canton, MA September 17, 2004 - Kryptonite today announced it will provide free product upgrades for certain locks purchased since September 2002, in response to consumer concerns about tubular cylinder lock technology. Consumers can visit the company’s Website (www.kryptonitelock.com) on Wednesday afternoon, September 22, 2004, to learn how they can participate in the security upgrade program.

Consumers who have purchased an Evolution lock, KryptoLok lock, New York Chain, New York Noose, Evolution Disc Lock, KryptoDisco or DFS Disc Lock in the last two years are eligible for a product upgrade free of charge from Kryptonite. Customers will need to have either registered their key number, registered for the Kryptonite anti-theft protection offer or have proof of purchase to qualify.

Specifically, Kryptonite will provide for free cross bars featuring the company’s new disc-style cylinder lock technology to consumers who have purchased Evolution and KryptoLok series products. In addition the company will replace for free recently purchased Evolution Disc Locks on New York Chain and New York Noose with its “Molly Lock”, a heavy duty solid steel padlock. Kryptonite also will upgrade recently purchased disc locks.

Consumers who have had one of the Kryptonite locks mentioned with a tubular cylinder for longer than two years will be eligible for a sizeable rebate on the upgraded products. This program will be administered through Kryptonite dealers and distributors.

A distributor and dealer swap program will be rolled out through direct communication from Kryptonite to all its partners.

Full details about this unprecedented program will be available on Kryptonite’s website by afternoon Eastern Standard Time, Wednesday, September 22, 2004, at www.kryptonite.com

cphilip
09-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Now I do not think this is enough....

...in the last two years are eligible for a product upgrade free of charge from Kryptonite. Customers will need to have either registered their key number, registered for the Kryptonite anti-theft protection offer or have proof of purchase to qualify...

Mines older than two years and probably not registered and I seriously doubt I would have proof of purchase and its obviously a Kryptonite and its pickable.... I don't find this acceptable because mine is worthless now. And it was sold with a lifetime garantee....

fire1811
09-18-2004, 11:21 AM
i agree cphilip there lock alone should be enough warrenty

logamus
09-18-2004, 01:11 PM
well that does suck, espically since they have lifetime warrantys. if your craftsman wrench snaps on you, they dont make you prouduce proof of purchase to get a new wrench.

kryptonite locks, guaranteed for life (or two years, whichever comes first).